EVGA 1080ti Founders Ed Price Jump?

Oct 19, 2007
Noticed this today.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 1080ti and prefer EVGA so I've been watching stock and prices closely. Suddenly, both Newegg ($749) and Amazon ($789) bumped the price on the card significantly so the FE is more expensive than the SC Black and SC2 cards.

Any idea why?

Oct 19, 2007
Update - Amazon now lists Founders Edition at over $800 this morning.

I imagine the price jump is due to low stock, but I'm surprised and curious why stock is dipping now that the card has been out for a few months. Would have figured supply would level off by this point. Wondering if EVGA is changing something with the card and letting suppliers go out of stock so they can start shipping a new revision. Or something...

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Update - Amazon now lists Founders Edition at over $800 this morning.

I imagine the price jump is due to low stock, but I'm surprised and curious why stock is dipping now that the card has been out for a few months. Would have figured supply would level off by this point. Wondering if EVGA is changing something with the card and letting suppliers go out of stock so they can start shipping a new revision. Or something...
Wow, I just bought 5 MSI FE's for $664 each, they're only $670 now though... could be that those specific brands are out of/low on stock.

Give MSI a try if you don't mind brand hopping, mine have been fine.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
I wish I had those prices... in UK they're up for £675-ish across the manufacturer board (that'd be about $860) but guess what, that's actually the discounted price down from £770/$980.

So... yeah, anybody willing to ship me a 1080Ti from MSI from the states? =) I'm on a business trip to Canada early next year, got a feeling I'll go on a shopping spree...

Cheers!
V.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I wish I had those prices... in UK they're up for £675-ish across the manufacturer board (that'd be about $860) but guess what, that's actually the discounted price down from £770/$980.

So... yeah, anybody willing to ship me a 1080Ti from MSI from the states? =) I'm on a business trip to Canada early next year, got a feeling I'll go on a shopping spree...

Cheers!
V.
I would recommend that you wait as new competition is just around the corner and should affect pricing across the board.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Wow, these cards are out of stock everywhere now. I wonder what happened?

The 1060s and 1070 are the most popular mining cards right now due to AMD cards being pretty much non-existent. For some reason, the GDDR5X implementation in the 1080 and 1080 Ti is worse for mining Ethereum, which is one of the hot new crypto-currencies. Unfortunately, the 1060s and 1070s are near impossible to find at MSRP, so people have moved onto buying the 1080 Ti. While it isn't as good at Ethereum, it is good at ZCash.

In short, people are buying them for mining. I was tempted to pick up an EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black for mining, because it's one of the cheapest non-FE options that's still a reference design, which means it's cheaper to water cool. Personally, I'm not a fan of the FE cards due to their lack of DVI and how HDMI and DisplayPort interact with Windows when using multiple displays.