Everyone with a GEFORCE-2 .....Please answer!!

TimTim

Banned
Jul 4, 2000
ONCE AND FOR ALL PLEASE HELP ME ANSWER THIS QUESTION!!

What games does the Geforce2 have problems running very well????

I know that Unreal Tournement and games using that SAME engine (Deus Ex, Wheel of Time,etc.) seem to perform badly from what i have read, but what else??? And how bad are those games really??

What other games have people had problems with?

I am trying to decide once and for all if i should buy a Geforce2 or wait for the next round. My Voodoo3 3000 still performs very good and plays every game out there.

Of course i would like even better performance and the "Better Image Quality" i keep reading about, but since it's obvious that the Geforce2 is fast and looks good, my decision will be based on ONE thing>>> Will the Geforce2 run ALL games out there or ATLEAST most of them????

Please, everyone with Geforce2 cards give feedback on different games, and performance and image quality. Give me info on every game you have tried please!!

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
If you're interested in playing all games without problems, buy a voodoo 5 or sit out until the next generation of cards.

bjassin

Apr 28, 2000
I have to agree with the above comment....I just upgraded from a V3 to an Annihilator 2 and though I am happy with it, I felt that the V3 was more stable at running MOST games out there....so why did I switch?? I mostly play Q3....if you play a wider variety of games, then either wait or get a V5....

BJ

TimTim

Banned
Jul 4, 2000
Hmmmmmm. Thanks for the input guys!! I still like my Voodoo3 3000 even a year later. I guess i am still having the "got to get something new and better" problem.

I had a Geforce2 on order and finally cancelled it (it was on back order so i had some time to think).

I was kinda hoping people would say "Hey Geforce2 plays everything great" so i could just go ahead and get it, but no way i can spend that much money if i am not going to be totally happy.

Please keep the feedback coming everyone!!

Terp

Banned
Jun 16, 2000
I have no problems with any games while using my new Gladiac GTS card...Granted, I didn;t have a voodoo 3 to compare it to, as I refused to buy into the hype and considered it a card for "gamers on a budget," but I had a Rage Fury 32M card that worked well, too...but now since upgrading, I see a world of difference....

I, too, play Unreal, a little Quake, Everquest, Diablo, Shogun, AoE, flight sims, etc, etc....and the Gladiac likes everything I throw at it...

K_Factor

Oct 10, 1999
I think most of the issues with games being choppy have been ironed out in nVidia's latest drivers. I play UT, Q3A, NFS5, Diablo, and Half-Life. All of the games work very well using the 5.30 drivers. If you have a fast processor, you can even play some of them at 1600x1200. You will notice a big performance increase over your voodoo3. I upgraded from a voodoo3, and there is definitely no going back.

TimTim

Banned
Jul 4, 2000
Thanks for the input guys!! Now it's getting interesting, some say Geforce2 won't run all games, some say it will.

Please keep the feedback coming, share your experiences with ALL different kinds of games using the Geforce2. Thanks!!

P.S.-- "TERP", i think that may have been an insult to the V3 3000 you snuck in there. When i bought mine after it first came out over a year ago, it was not a "budget card", and it was hands down the fastest card out there, and the most compatable (that wasn't hype, it was fact). It was the choice of many hardcore gamers, not gamers on a budget as you suggested. Heck, the card is still going strong today and yes, now that it's over a year old it IS a great choice for gamers on a budget. But i am ready to upgrade, either now or in the next round with the 3dfx Rampage or the Nividia nv20. That is why i am asking about the Geforce2, so no need to take shots at any particular card, and if you missed the V3 3000, it's a shame, because it has been one of the best "all-around" cards on the market since it came out.

OK, i just had to get that straight!! I like Nvidia AND 3dfx, and that is why i am considering buying a Geforce2.

Everyone please keep the feedback coming on the Geforce2, and what kinds of games you have or have not had problems with. I just recieved a call from the place that has the 64meg Leadtek WinFast Geforce 2 AND the Asus version back in stock, so i need to make a decision this weekend.

Crazybubba

Oct 10, 1999
Prophet II 64MB will not run Diablo 2 in direct3d mode! Its a known bug with only the 64MB version.

Rainmanx

Brian23

Banned
Dec 28, 1999
I have a TNT2U, not a GeForce 2. But from what I've heard, the GeForce 2 is just an improved version of the GeForce, which is just an improved verion of the TNT2U. Anyway I play UT, Half Life and Unreal without ANY problems. One thing you should be aware of is UT and Unreal tax your cpu ALOT more than your video card. So if that is whot you mainly play, then keep you Voodoo3 and get an Athlon 1000. If you like to play other games like Q3A and you already have fast cpu then get a GeForce 2.

TimTim

Banned
Jul 4, 2000
Thanks for the feedback Bubba and Brian!!

Everyone please keep the info coming on different types of games, so i can decide what to do!! Thanks.

NOS440

Golden Member
Dec 27, 1999
Well I've had a Geforce DDR since it was first released a TNT2 Ultra before that and now a Geforce 2 64mg. My nephew has a Voodoo 3000 and we play side by side on my network all the time and I'm sure he would tell you to buy a Geforce 2 he comes over just to see if my PC is available so he can have a ball. I have no problems with any games and I have 40 gig HD on my PC and I'm running out of space. So lets just say I have a ton of games.

Mantaray

Jul 9, 2000
I am using an annihilator2, max overclocked, with a cel 533 also overclocked and have NO problems with any games. I upgraded from a V3 and have seen a large improvement in both speed and quality without stability problems. If you can't afford the GTS then the cheaper Voodoo is still a very good card.

Dec 3, 1999
I don't know if you care about FSAA in D3D but with my Creative GeForce2 GTS (Nvidia 5.32)it's crapping out on many games...
Grand Prix World goes psychedelic with FSAA, Motorhead crashes Win98 when using FSAA,
Madden NFL 99 goes black with weird shapes moving across the screen, Dungeon Keeper 2 causes a hard reset...
etc... etc... with Voodoo5500 none of these games had problems... also it seems like FSAA doesn't work
with GTS when using it in 1280x1024 or higher... Voodoo5500 was great with Grand Prix Legends 1280x1024 in D3D
and 2x FSAA but GeForce2 just won't use anything but the lowest quality FSAA or at least that's
what it looks like. Some might say FSAA is not important at 1280x1024 but I can see the difference and
GPL did look better with FSAA enabled and to my amazement it ran with frame rates high enough to be smooth.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
FSAA wasnt really designed for the 32MB cards ...get a 64MB or wait for the 128s if that is real important..or you can go with a 5500 and sacrifice frame rates at least thats what I have grafted from the reviews

NOS440

Golden Member
Dec 27, 1999
FSAA is all a 3DFX marketing play. Its really hardly noticable in games and the Performance hit for a Geforce 2 or a Voodoo 5500 isn't worth the image quality anyways. My Geforce 2 64 mg works great in all games period.

TimTim

Banned
Jul 4, 2000
Thanks for the feedback everyone!!

Please keep it coming. Anyone else with a GeForce2, please share your gaming experiences. What games or types of games (if any) have you had problems with? Also, any hardware compatability problems?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< FSAA is all a 3DFX marketing play. Its really hardly noticable in games and the Performance hit for a Geforce 2 or a Voodoo 5500 isn't worth the image quality anyways. >>

I used to feel that way too. Until I started messing around with it on my Asus V7700. For some games what you say is true. In first person shooter type games you can't really see the difference and you'll often take a big fps hit. But in simulations, especially those that are cpu limited, fsaa makes a big difference. It can improve image quality to the point where, if it's turned off, you really notice the jaggies. I'm talking in resolutions of 1024x768 and 1280x1024, too.

Apart from the image quality boost it also eliminates pixel popping which is really annoying in flight sims. That alone makes it worthwhile.

I'd say a GeForce 2 with 64 MB would be ideal. You've got enough memory to run in high resolutions with the higher quality fsaa modes enabled. Only problem is performance. The card isn't powerful enough to handle the newer games with fsaa enabled. NV20/Rampage with 64 MB and better fsaa drivers will be quite a sight.