Everyone hates geese. Why do they stop for them?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I knew several guys that use to drive the country roads just to catch little animals and run them over. This was fun to them. They had a name for this sadistic game, can't remember what it was.
Odd that one of them in later years at the heigh of his career, he came down with cancer and died a long horrific painful death.
God gets even, in his own way.
Morral?
Dont mess with gods creatures. It pisses god off. And god has a history of not exactly taking kindly to those that pisses god off.
God got pissed at Moses after Moses questioned god.
In the old testament God was very pissed when those that Moses brought out of Egypt grew tired of wandering in the desert and only eating bread when they wanted meat instead.
So god brought forth the fowl and the people ate well, then dropped dead.
And god was pleased.

Go ahead, take your anger out on gods creatures that share this earth.
But when cancer strikes, just imagine the smile on gods face.
And if I remember correctly, gods penalty for killing geese would be anal cancer. ;)

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Goose is delicious btw.

I agree with this. And I guess if it's in season, and you get out of the car and bag it for dinner, then that's fine. It's an unorthodox hunting method, but who am I to judge an innovator?

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I'm not a fan of geese either, but I wonder how many people advocating killing them feel the same way about outdoor cats shitting everywhere. :hmm:

Around here we have literally hordes of deer. They walk down the middle of the streets in broad daylight. And they crap easily as much as geese. Pretty much just produce a constant stream of kibble-sized pellets. Freaking ruminants.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
They are indeed shit machines. There's fuckin shit all over the parking lot at work and in front of the entrance (until someone cleaned up the latter).

I came out recently and there were two geese just outside the entrance. One of the goofy bastards was pecking at the glass wall like a woodpecker, lol. Then a couple days ago I came outside again and there were two there, maybe the same two. One of them had a really bad limp in one leg, I felt bad. :-( They're shit machines but I like em.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Hm where are geese this abundant and how easy are they to hunt? A whole roast goose sells for >$30 US in HK

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hm where are geese this abundant and how easy are they to hunt? A whole roast goose sells for >$30 US in HK

well, first you have to find permanent ponds, fresh water areas in parks or shorelines with lots of grass around it. So like, lots of water and grass. Wetland/marshy areas are great. They hang out there and shit all over the place.

You're in LA though, so....good luck! :D

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
At (very) nearby Peace Valley Park the geese are out in force:

1027c.jpg

Somewhere on another hard drive I have pics of them, spooked, taking off and overflying in mass formation, which is a magnificent sight.

Otoh, the poop on parts of the banks of Lake Galena is legion. Eh, with nature, you have to take the good with the bad, the natural magnificence with the, ummm, biological byproducts. ;)

Also nearby is Traugers Park, where Tohickon Creek is broad and deep enough to swim for, literally, miles. Nine of my friends have cabins there. Last fall, into November, a female friend and I egged each other on to keep swimming there as the temps dropped. We would plunge into 48 degree water (she would bring a thermometer) for up to 4 (consecutive!) minutes at a time. Yeah, we cray cray.

Anyway, they, too, have a geese problem, which the caretaker solved by renting 2d cutouts of coyotes which, when you first looked at them, looked spookily 3d. The geese would huddle on the far bank and quack insults, but the bank on our side stayed goose poop free.

Here below is a pic, albeit from which you really don't get the full effect. Point is, the geese do! :p

168373_2000x2000.jpg

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I hate geese. My kids wanna go play with them and the geese have chased them. I have no tolerance for them. I have hit three geese recently. And haven't felt bad. I don't brake for them. Why do so many people...just to save their car?

If some stranger suddenly got too close to your kids and wanted to "play" with them you would react too. Similar to the geese.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Geese do suck though. Aggressive, shit everywhere, stand in the middle of the road.....boo you suck Geese.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Could be, but sometimes swerving/braking is more dangerous than just plowing into said animal...

This.

The life of a bird or chipmunk is not worth wrecking and possibly killing you and all passengers.

Edit: Forgot to add, fuck geese (also male swans)

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Years ago I remember a Chinese guy getting into a fight with a goose. That was comedy, great fun to watch. He did own the goose though so I kinda felt bad afterwards.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
well, first you have to find permanent ponds, fresh water areas in parks or shorelines with lots of grass around it. So like, lots of water and grass. Wetland/marshy areas are great. They hang out there and shit all over the place.

You're in LA though, so....good luck! :D

You want to find geese find a golf course. Just about every golf course has ponds or lakes and they're ideal habitat for geese. And if you think goose shit is awful most places it's worst of all on a putting green.

Here's an idea: Let's pass a law saying you're allowed to trap and kill as many geese as you want as long as you donate the meat to soup kitchens or other appropriate charities that provide food to the needy. We get fewer geese, they get lots of protein. It's win/win.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Why can't we hit mosquitoes with our cars is the real question. Please fix this in the next patch. Thanks.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Around here we have literally hordes of deer. They walk down the middle of the streets in broad daylight. And they crap easily as much as geese. Pretty much just produce a constant stream of kibble-sized pellets. Freaking ruminants.
Deer are legitimate threats to the ecosystem if they live somewhere where there are no predators. They over graze and eat saplings, stopping the growth of certain species of trees.