Every time we flush a toilet in the house... it smells like rotten eggs

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
And no, we didn't just go to the bathroom. My wife was cleaning the downstairs toilet, flushed it and it stunk all of a sudden.

Flushed the ones upstairs and the same smell.

Any ideas?

Batti

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Maybe the vent stack up through the roof is plugged up with a birds nest or squirrel?

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Does your shower water smell? I've been to rural areas where there is sulfur in the water and all the tap water smells like rotten eggs.

Mar 20, 2004
I'm thinking maybe everytime you flush the toilet, the air from the toilet pipe trap might be released into the environment of the toilet where you flushed, so maybe there is a problem with the drainage system out of the toilet? Backed up septic system?

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I just thought of a good idea. Farting at the same time as flushing the toilet would be a good way to hide your farts from any guests (or your wife or girlfriend). If your they smell your farts you could blame it on the toilet.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
A friend of mine had that same problem before at his vacation home. Apparently the chemicals they used to clean the plumbing system had sulfur in it. It went away after about a week.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
This probably isn't your problem, but my 'den' is parked right below the second floor toilet. For a while, whenever someone used and flushed, it smelled like you know what downstairs. Fastforward 2 years or so, while we are doing renovations, lo and behold: there's a hole in the 100 year old iron pipe. Turns out it wasn't my imagination after all, and I was exposed to sewage 'fumes' for years.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you have a basement that has drains in it, pour about a gallon of water in each one of them. If the water evaporates out of the trap, it'll let sewer gas into the house. Also, if you have an unused washing machine hookup, do the same to that drain.

Other than that it might be a clogged stack.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Rastus
If you have a basement that has drains in it, pour about a gallon of water in each one of them. If the water evaporates out of the trap, it'll let sewer gas into the house. Also, if you have an unused washing machine hookup, do the same to that drain.

Other than that it might be a clogged stack.

Nice, right on the money!
to add to your post, try and pinpoint the smell exactly, right when it happens. As mentioned above, bad vent pipe in the wall is one possibility, as is the plugged stack vent or some combination of the two.