Everquest, Diablo, other online MMPORPGs...

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
I used to play Everquest, played it for about a year total, spent WAY WAY WAY too much time playing, but it was a fun escape. You talk with "real" people, and spend time accomplishing goals. Leveling is hard work, and mind-wrackingly boring sometimes if you stick in a "good" exp place etc.

My question is this. As graphics become better, and eventually Virtual Reality is introduced, isn't this going to be a huge threat to society? I know people who normally don't play games get caught up in things like this because they enjoy the "realism" or challenge. It's like a hobby that can consume all of your free time, and some of your time that isn't free.

I know its idiotic to blame companies for feeding addictions by producing more games, but sometimes, especially referring to Evercrack, it's easy to point the finger. The companies know that there is a huge market for this, and peddle it making huge profits not unlike a drug dealer. I've seen a friend's life ruined by drugs, and I've also seen a different friend's life ruined by Everquest. Each made a decision, but both ended up similarly.

Anyway, I was bored at work and felt like ranting. Ignore or call me a moron, I didnt think this through well so its probably a waste of time to read. (notice that I put this disclaimer at the end, muhahahah)

PS I know not everyone becomes addicted to online games, whereas almost everyone becomes addicted to drugs, but its a close enough analogy I thought It was worth making.( and yes, I know its been made before, hence the term Evercrack)

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Vortex22
Prepare the holodeck!

Hehe, seriously. Who would want to experience real life if they could have a much better one in permanent VR on life support. (ie Matrix, Vanilla Sky, etc)

elbirth

May 8, 2003
Well, first off, a correction for you :)
Diablo was/is not a massively multiplayer game.... 4 people in a game was hardly massive.... though it IS an online game ;)

Anyway, my oldest brother still plays Evercrap... I don't see why people become so addicted to this game.... for one thing, I would NEVER play it, because you have to pay a monthly charge to pay.... $50-60 for a game is enough as it is. I understand different people have different tastes, but some people just take it too far.

You have to look at the virtual reality aspect in 2 ways, however... in one way, it's probably going to be more addictive because you're "inside" the game playing. However, unlike current games, you won't necessarily be sitting there slumped over clicking a mouse and tapping on a keyboard; you may be standing up, moving around, etc., actually getting some physical exercise.

As for a "huge threat to society"? I highly doubt that... there are enough people in the world (I hope) that know when enough is enough and would stop playing before it completely engulfed them.

Harabecw

Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: dxkj
Originally posted by: Vortex22
Prepare the holodeck!

Hehe, seriously. Who would want to experience real life if they could have a much better one in permanent VR on life support. (ie Matrix, Vanilla Sky, etc)

Vanilla Sky was great! reminded me of Fight Club, actually.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: elbirth
Well, first off, a correction for you :)
Diablo was/is not a massively multiplayer game.... 4 people in a game was hardly massive.... though it IS an online game ;)

Anyway, my oldest brother still plays Evercrap... I don't see why people become so addicted to this game.... for one thing, I would NEVER play it, because you have to pay a monthly charge to pay.... $50-60 for a game is enough as it is. I understand different people have different tastes, but some people just take it too far.

You have to look at the virtual reality aspect in 2 ways, however... in one way, it's probably going to be more addictive because you're "inside" the game playing. However, unlike current games, you won't necessarily be sitting there slumped over clicking a mouse and tapping on a keyboard; you may be standing up, moving around, etc., actually getting some physical exercise.

As for a "huge threat to society"? I highly doubt that... there are enough people in the world (I hope) that know when enough is enough and would stop playing before it completely engulfed them.

Sorry I was just trying to include all the games I knew people played a lot. Wasnt certain about diablo.

And I dont think people would be getting excercise in future future VR systems, it would be more stationary with input to the mind.