Ever think of becoming vegetarian? NOW WITH POLL

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Are you aware what happens to the mole/mice/*insert almost any animal that nests in crop land* population when harvest time rolls around? They get torn apart by the combine, and they aren't even eaten. Your soy burger did, in fact, cost an animal it's life, unless it was organically grown and planted and picked by hand. Which is highly unlikely.

No matter what, if you eat a foodstuff that was efficiently produced, animals died in the process. That's all there is to it. Personally, I prefer eating meat. I have no problem with the fact that animals had to die in order to produce my bacon cheeseburger. I have personally killed and prepared animals for eating. It doesnt bother me... I order my steaks bleeding and like it that way. The only thing that does bother me is that I didnt manage to shoot a deer this year, and thus I've got 0lbs of venison in my freezer.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Beller0ph1
Animals are tasty. Nothing beats a nice thick steak with a beer. Well, maybe more beer.

only because you grew up on that. more than half of my top 10 favorite dishes dont need any meet ingrident in them.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
No, I have however entertained the idea of becoming a strict carnivore, but I like baked potatoes with my steaks too much to ever seriously consider it.

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
My parents tried to raise me vegetarian until I grabbed some chicken off my grandmother's plate in a restaurant.

I don't think I could handle it, personally. Meat tastes too good and feels so nourishing.

cbehnken

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Anubis
1) i dont beleive in god
2) animals eat animals we (humans) are an animal
3) if we never ate meat we wouldent have evolved to where we are today
4) i will now eat 2x the meat as i did before to make up for what you arnt eateing

That's a good idea. I'll try to eat more meat as well to help you out.

Thanks!

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: jbaggins
Since you brought biology into it, i have to bring those points up. We have FLAT teeth. Most plant eating animals have FLAT teeth. So, really, if you are keeping with what we are SUPPOSED to do, before we ate meat, we were probably intended to be plant eaters.

And, our intestines, when compared with carnivores, have much smaller tracts. Again, this fact weakens the argument that we were supposed to eat meat. Meat stays in our bodies longer than in animals like lions, which is one reason we have increased colon cancer chances.

Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: jbaggins
There is no NATURAL order going on. Most of the fish you eat is farm raised. Most of the beef you eat was from a cow that was intentionally bred to be a steak one day. Same with chickens, etc.

How is that natural order? We are far beyond natural order at this stage.

Yeah? And most of the vegetables you eat were grown on farms, not picked out of the forest. Is it unnatural for humans to raise their food?

It's natural for humans to use tools and alter the environment around us. While other animals merely find pre-existing things to use, humans make our own. So it does make sense that we'd raise our own food.

You're confused aobut how natural order works. It's not about where the thigns come from, but what you consume.

worm <- mouse <-owl <-hawk etc.

Humans eat animals lower on the chain. Thats why our teeth have developed the way they did. We're omnivores - if we weren't then we'd have flat teeth and 4 stomachs.

If we weren't meant to eat animals, then why do they taste so good....:p

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000
to many yes/no options to make sense of the pole.

I went vegie for 6 years. Lowest cholesterol of my life

But tofu sure got boring......