Ever since they annouced the closing of the Goodyear Plant that I work at

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
About being a waiter.
Is being a waiter fun? I am kind of anti-social, but I can be fake and smile when I need to. I hear you can make alot of money being a waiter.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
have you considered moving? or are you going to take any job close to home?

Well until I have a degree I cannot see myself moving away.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
About being a waiter.
Is being a waiter fun? I am kind of anti-social, but I can be fake and smile when I need to. I hear you can make alot of money being a waiter.

WTF does the goodyear plant have to do with being a waiter?

:confused:

Anyways, being a waiter can be fun. I was a waiter for a little over a year at a nice table cloth family owned resturaunt. It was a small place but high volume. I look back, and Im glad I did it because I walked away with some valuable people skills and time management skills that are transferable in other professions. But at the time, I hated it. It was a lot of stress going into work. Managing nine tables at once is not easy at all. I guess it also depends on what type of resturaunt it is. Money was decent. On a slow day, Id average $10 an hour, and on a good night, I would average $20 an hour. Sometimes is was rough, because you would have 2 or 3 tables seated at the same time.
Being a college student, $20 an hour worked well for me. But one issue I had was being paid in a timely and consistent manner. Like I said, the resturaunt I worked for was family owned. When I first started working there, you would get all of your tips in cash at the end of the night, like any other resturaunt. Then, the owners decided to pay us our credit card tips in the form of a check at the end of the week. I didnt like the idea of this, but I didnt complain. After some time doing that, our checks would be printed every two weeks, or three weeks. A few times, I waited a month to be paid, relying strictly on cash tips for that month. Cash tips were generally 20% of total tips. I suspect this returaunt had cash flow problems up the wazoo.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
About being a waiter.

Anyways, being a waiter can be fun. I was a waiter for a little over a year at a nice table cloth family owned resturaunt. It was a small place but high volume. I look back, and Im glad I did it because I walked away with some valuable people skills and time management skills that are transferable in other professions. But at the time, I hated it. It was a lot of stress going into work. Managing nine tables at once is not easy at all. I guess it also depends on what type of resturaunt it is. Money was decent. On a slow day, Id average $10 an hour, and on a good night, I would average $20 an hour. Sometimes is was rough, because you would have 2 or 3 tables seated at the same time.
Being a college student, $20 an hour worked well for me. But one issue I had was being paid in a timely and consistent manner. Like I said, the resturaunt I worked for was family owned. When I first started working there, you would get all of your tips in cash at the end of the night, like any other resturaunt. Then, the owners decided to pay us our credit card tips in the form of a check at the end of the week. I didnt like the idea of this, but I didnt complain. After some time doing that, our checks would be printed every two weeks, or three weeks. A few times, I waited a month to be paid, relying strictly on cash tips for that month. Cash tips were generally 20% of total tips. I suspect this returaunt had cash flow problems up the wazoo.

I work at the goodyear plant.
I wont have a job.

blazerazor

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
The chicks man, it well worth it. You will meet alot of broads. Last time I did that I land three over one summer.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
About being a waiter.

I work at the goodyear plant.
I wont have a job.

Oh...where do you live?

Anyways, Like I said, if you can handle the extra stress in your life and you can get a waiter job at a nice resturaunt, then do it.

Things you will gain:

Decent money, better paying than retail at the mall
Time management skills
People skills
Plenty of stress

You will also become a lot more aware when dining out. I for example am doomed for the rest of my life because I was a waiter. I now tip at least 20% no matter where I go, usually around 30-40% just because I know how difficult it can be to be a waiter.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: shortspanishguy
Originally posted by: blazerazor
The chicks man, it well worth it. You will meet alot of broads. Last time I did that I land three over one summer.

I dont think he cares about the chicks

LOL, I've gotten that impression as well.