Ever realized how much debt you are in?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
all i have is student loans + car payment.

i feel very comfortable knowing that's all i am in debt to :)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
we just have the mortgage+car payment and the wife's student loans ($5k). NO CC debt at all.

StartingLine

Banned
Jun 25, 2007
Originally posted by: multiband8303
you guys are lucky.....

that makes me kinda mad, i dont have a lot of things like a plasma tv or brand new computer, those are the sacrifices i make for not racking up huge credit card bills. I prefer to think of myself as..hmm..smart

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
$15k student loans, $20k left on car. I have enough in the bank to pay off the student loans, but I'd rather save it for a house.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Almost 4k in credit card debt, and 3k in unsecured loans...7k in total....I feel terrible....
Sign me up for only 7k in debt right now, please.

House 1: 250k mortgage
House 2: 125k mortgage (rental)
Car: 22k approx. left
Boat: 38k
CC's,etc: probably another 10-15k including wife's student loan

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
I don't think I would consider mortgages to be "debt" unless you account for the value of the asset as well.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
Almost 4k in credit card debt, and 3k in unsecured loans...7k in total....I feel terrible....

Yes, but you are living the American dream.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, every day. Don't feel too bad though, at least your debt is managable.

With this car I just bought, I'm so ass-backwards it's not even funny.. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm at something like $14,000 now with this $6,000 car loan. :(

Should be picking up more work on Monday though. I've really got my mind set on paying it down as fast as possible once the money from this job starts rolling in. It's killing me.

I pay more in debt repayment per month than I do rent and utilities.. :shocked:

That's just.. fscked.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: multiband8303
you guys are lucky.....</end quote></div>

I like to call it ... financially smart.

To be fair, luck has something to do with it. People can rack up debt when they lose their job unexpectedly or have massive medical bills. Being fiscally responsible is a big part of staying (relatively) debt free, but there is a little bit of luck involved too.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: jiggahertz
I don't think I would consider mortgages to be "debt" unless you account for the value of the asset as well.

LOL.

If you owe money, it's a debt. Mortgages are not considered "bad" debt, however, unlike credit cards.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: MrChad
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: purbeast0

I like to call it ... financially smart.</end quote></div>

To be fair, luck has something to do with it. People can rack up debt when they lose their job unexpectedly or have massive medical bills. Being fiscally responsible is a big part of staying (relatively) debt free, but there is a little bit of luck involved too.

No, it is smart financial planning. A smart person would have an emergency savings of at least 3-months salary to prevent going into massive debt if they are laid off.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Safeway
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MrChad

To be fair, luck has something to do with it. People can rack up debt when they lose their job unexpectedly or have massive medical bills. Being fiscally responsible is a big part of staying (relatively) debt free, but there is a little bit of luck involved too.</end quote></div>

No, it is smart financial planning. A smart person would have an emergency savings of at least 3-months salary to prevent going into massive debt if they are laid off.
Easier said than done. Such things are nearly impossible for those that work paycheck to paycheck. :( I know how it is. Hopefully I'll be able to get out of that cycle with this new job. :thumbsup:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad

yah but I don't think the OP put any life or death medical bills onto his CC that he's talking about.

i feel far from "lucky" being in the financial situation I am. i know plenty of people who are my age that are no where near financially sound as I am, but then again, they go party 3-4 days a week.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
5K in CC. 36K in student loans.

My parents are paying off the CC though, so I don't have to worry about paying them back until I can do so comfortably. :)

Never again will I rack up such unnecessary debt. I don't even have anything to show for it, that's the worst part.