Ever notice how when you want to go through fast food drive-through...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Wait so you're saying a lot of this is unplanned? Like they were not originally going to get food then decided to? I figured it was more because it was a certain time of day and that's why they are on the road in first place, is to go get food. Like lunch time is going to be crazy busy because most people get their lunch at 12. But then 10am and 3pm might have an uprise too because it's break.

Then there's 5pm where everything is just insane because everyone is getting off work. I avoid going out as best as I can during that time.
Yes, for the majority of them it is unplanned. They're on the road for another purpose.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Think about how most drive throughs are set up. You can't see the line until you get there. All the people know stacked on the street is the car in front of them is finally moving. Then, it's like I could use a bite and it's better than sitting in traffic.
Huh, regional differences maybe, the majority of places here I can see the line beforehand.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Like 2, 3, or 4 cars show up and get in line RIGHT in front of you? There could be nobody in line the whole damned day, but as soon as you want to go...

WTF is up with this???
It's almost like pople prefer their meals at specific times during the day rather than evenly throughout the day.

Nov 20, 2009
Yesterday I went out to get me a Baconator from Wendy's. I came home without such Baconator. Why? At 1PM the shelter-in-place wasn't taking effect in my county of 900K people. Lots of people out and about. I saw three different groups of families out walking in my neighborhood, knowing their kids play with other kids in their neighborhood. And then once outside my neighborhood I saw lots of people--like Saturday traffic pre-pandemic--out and about including going to/from that damn super Walmart near me. Then I got to Wendy's and couldn't pull ingot their lot because the gravy train at 1:30PM for the drive-through was backed up to outside their lot. Imagine all those hand-by-hand cash/plastic exchanges taking place.

Wife was surprised I came home empty-handed but she went out today and said the same damn thing. She was stunned at how many people were out and about acting like a weekend without a pandemic. At this point they mine as well open up the retail sector.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
You are not going to keep most people cooped up in their houses. Contrary to how much some of you introverts enjoy being on lockdown and revel in criticizing those who won't tolerate it, most people are going to wind up getting out and living their real lives.

In most areas of the country there is no reason for a total lockdown.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It seems some places are even busier than normal. Go out for essentials only otherwise stay home! Some places like Home Depot are also doing curbside pickup and delivery only, I think this is the best approach.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
For me it’s always the checkout line I’m in and the person in front has an item with no price, disputes a price, whatever it is that requires price check or manager override who’s in the bathroom holding up the line. In the meantime the two long adjacent lines I didn’t get into clears out. Every damn time it seems.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Like 2, 3, or 4 cars show up and get in line RIGHT in front of you? There could be nobody in line the whole damned day, but as soon as you want to go...

WTF is up with this???

Same thing happens when I want to cross the road (as a pedestrian). Road will be deserted till I need to cross, then suddenly a huge stream of vehicles (spaced out just enough for maximum delay while not leaving enough space between them to cross) will appear and make me wait at the kerb for 5 minutes. As soon as I'm across, the road will go back to being totally empty again.

I think they cruise around in convoys, waiting for the signal to get in my way ("he's trying to cross the road - go, go, go!"). It's the Illuminati, I think.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
We have met Andy Rooney and he is us.
Ive had quite a few complaints lately from people who like it when I complain about things. They say I haven't complained about anything lately. So tonight, for you complaint fans, I have a complaint.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Happens to me at free air pumps. I refuse to pay for air. Have to go 2x/week because of slow leak. Those damned free pumps break pretty often at least at Royal Farms (cheap materials)

Nov 8, 2012
I honestly don't understand how dumb people have to be to see 20 car line at Chick-Fil-A or Starbucks, or whatever - to the point where it wraps around the building and they tell themselves the equivalent of "I can wait in this..."

Christ, look at the parking lot to see if there is a long wait inside... park... get your ass up and order at the counter and be done quicker. Is it really that hard of a concept?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
For me it’s always the checkout line I’m in and the person in front has an item with no price, disputes a price, whatever it is that requires price check or manager override who’s in the bathroom holding up the line. In the meantime the two long adjacent lines I didn’t get into clears out. Every damn time it seems.

Illuminati again. Do you ever catch them talking into their concealed radios, co-ordinating their operation to delay you in order to somehow further their mysterious and unfathomable conspiracy? For some reason it's crucial to their dark-and-sinister schemes that certain of us are frustratingly-yet-trivially delayed in going about day-to-day life.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I honestly don't understand how dumb people have to be to see 20 car line at Chick-Fil-A or Starbucks, or whatever - to the point where it wraps around the building and they tell themselves the equivalent of "I can wait in this..."

Christ, look at the parking lot to see if there is a long wait inside... park... get your ass up and order at the counter and be done quicker. Is it really that hard of a concept?

I do this at Tim Horton's all the time. I'll park and then like to take note of what car is at the end of the line to see where it's at by the time I come out with my coffee.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I do this at Tim Horton's all the time. I'll park and then like to take note of what car is at the end of the line to see where it's at by the time I come out with my coffee.

I think it's important to point out here that Tim Horton's is to Canada what Dunkin' Donuts is to the rest of the world.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
I think it's important to point out here that Tim Horton's is to Canada what Dunkin' Donuts is to the rest of the world.

No, Tim Horton's is 10x better than Dunkin' Donuts, LOVE me some Tim Hortons, so jelly we don't have them here in the states (or at least in most states, including Texas).

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001

Yep, same darned thing happens to me all the time as well!!!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No, Tim Horton's is 10x better than Dunkin' Donuts, LOVE me some Tim Hortons, so jelly we don't have them here in the states (or at least in most states, including Texas).

Been to Tim Horton's a few times while visiting my daughter in Maine. I have to give the edge to Dunkin especially since they improved their coffee.