Ever had a DUI ? How much for insurance ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: SampSon
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Originally posted by: Nebor
Only a sucker actually takes a DUI rap.

I've never been caught driving under the influence, but my brother has numerous times, and my family's attorney got him out of it every time.

If you're convicted, it'll ruin your life.

:roll: Hardly - you'll have higher insurance for 6-10 years. Not exactly a "life-ruiner."

yea going on your record and hiring companies checking background nowadays doesn't ruin your life :roll::roll:
Usually a first offence DWI/DUI is a misdemeanor, at it's most strong conviction level . It's not going to ruin your life. Snap back to reality and realize not everyone needs a security clearance to get a job. Vast majority of companies don't care about criminal records unless it's a felony. There are so many dui and dwi convictions each year and I don't see everyone's lives going down the tubes. Stick to talking about something you know about.

Why don't you call your... er your "friends" insurance agency and present them with a hyopthetical sitaution.

First offense DUI is usually never convicted as a misdemeanor, dropped down to a conditional waiver, costs a lot of time in classes and money. Subsequent offenses is when they start to get you, but even then so many people are repeat offenders and still end up walking with a slap on the wrist.

I would imagine a job where you do a lot of driving or driving is critical to your job, a background check that comes positive for DUI has negative points toward your getting a job. :roll::roll::roll:
You're soo good and creating niche hyopthetical situations to support your non-points, congratulations. You're also excellent at reading posts and not digesting anything written in them. And last, but not least, you are a genuine genius. With a little education you could be as smart as LoKe!

Someone who has a true blue dwi/dui conviction probably isn't going to try very hard to get a job where driving is critical and background checks are performed. Someone with multiple dui/dwi convictions is most likely not going to say "hey, I got an idea, I can be a semi-truck driver!". Not a whole lot of convicted cop killers are out there trying to be police officers.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Only stupid people drive while intoxicated. Designate a driver! Think of the children you damn drunkards!

:laugh:

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004

I've never been caught driving under the influence, but my brother has numerous times, and my family's attorney got him out of it every time.

Well it worked out for bush...

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
Only stupid people drive while intoxicated. Designate a driver! Think of the children you damn drunkards!

Or go to sleep in your car before driving home??? Who says you need to get home right away anyways?

Hankysmoo

Golden Member
May 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango

Or go to sleep in your car before driving home??? Who says you need to get home right away anyways?

That advice doesn't always work. I know a person who got cited for a DUI for sleeping in her car in the parking lot of a nightclub. Apparently, because she had the keys to the car on her, that was enough evidence to nail her.

Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Hankysmoo

That advice doesn't always work. I know a person who got cited for a DUI for sleeping in her car in the parking lot of a nightclub. Apparently, because she had the keys to the car on her, that was enough evidence to nail her.

that's kinda bs...at least she wasn't out driving...seemed like the best thing she could have done if she didn't have a dd

Hankysmoo

Golden Member
May 27, 2000
Originally posted by: quakefiend420

that's kinda bs...at least she wasn't out driving...seemed like the best thing she could have done if she didn't have a dd

Yup...the moral of the story is: life isn't fair =(

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

The best thing she could have done is ignore the cops and go back to sleep. They're not going to break your window to get at you. People need to understand that the less interaction they have with police, the better off their lives will be.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
No, they aren't gonna leave you alone. REMOVE THE DAMN KEYS. Put them in the glovebox or something. Sit in the backseat even. Otherwise you can and will get hit with a DUI for sitting in your car trying to sleep. This happens all the time, and I think keys in the ign are about the biggest reason.

Azurik

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger

:roll: Hardly - you'll have higher insurance for 6-10 years. Not exactly a "life-ruiner."

yea going on your record and hiring companies checking background nowadays doesn't ruin your life :roll::roll:

People experience far worse daily. I'd rather get a DUI then have my legs blown off or catch HIV.

I'm not sure what you're trying to compare, lol:)

First, DUI is in your COMPLETE control. Only you choose to drive under the influence. Having protected sex still has a risk of contracting it and having your legs blown off, well, you really don't have any control unless you did it on purpose - if so, you have other issues.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
You are getting alot of bad information in this thread.

The laws vary from state to state, and many states have mandatory minimums that a lawyer cannot get you out of.
In my state my insurance will be $1200 - $1500 a year higher.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001

The best thing she could have done is ignore the cops and go back to sleep. They're not going to break your window to get at you. People need to understand that the less interaction they have with police, the better off their lives will be.

lol

How much interaction w/ cops have you had? You think they're going to knock on the window, not be able to wake up someone slumped over the steering wheel, then walk away?

rofl

Go lay in the backseat. My bet is the girl was sitting in the drivers seat on the wheel w/ keys in the ign

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I'm dealing with a DWI now. I'll give you details if you want it, but your state law's are going do dictate the legal situation.
Insurance will be $1000 to $1500 a year more expensive (or much more if under 25). Stays on insurance for 3 years.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

congratulations nebor, that's a great way of handling a situation where you have the potential to kill other people!:disgust:
just grab a damn cab and stay off the road if you plan on drinking yourself silly:|

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001

Yup...the moral of the story is: life isn't fair =(

I have a good friend that was busted in the same way, sleeping in his car because ha didn't want to drive. BS, but the law is the law - If you are drinking and have the means to put a vehicle in motion - DUI

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: zixxer

lol

How much interaction w/ cops have you had? You think they're going to knock on the window, not be able to wake up someone slumped over the steering wheel, then walk away?

rofl

Go lay in the backseat. My bet is the girl was sitting in the drivers seat on the wheel w/ keys in the ign

You need to realize that their powers in a parking lot are extremely limited. Someone sleeping in a car isn't probable cause. They're not going to break your window to get to you if you ignore them. The best they can do is wait around, and I recommend you wait them out. Of course it's much better to be in the back seat than in the front with the keys in the ignition.

What do you think they're gonna do?

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002

You need to realize that their powers in a parking lot are extremely limited. Someone sleeping in a car isn't probable cause. They're not going to break your window to get to you if you ignore them. The best they can do is wait around, and I recommend you wait them out. Of course it's much better to be in the back seat than in the front with the keys in the ignition.

What do you think they're gonna do?

Regardless... if you need to pass out in your car while you are drunk... take your keys and hide them. Don't keep them in your pocket and sleep in the back, don't just throw them in the glove box, you actually should hide them. Stick them on top of your tire, or unlock your car and put them in the trunk.