Ever feel like moving away...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i do, but i doubt i would ever do it. at least not without winning the lottery or something like that.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
I did it, I moved to another state for grad school, where I know no one..socially its worked out decently although some nights I am bored..tough to start anew when you have a pretty nice circle of friends

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Id like to move to an island. Forget about all material items. Just good friends, my woman, a gym ;) and a beautiful beach.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I doubt it'd really do anything... it'd only take a couple days for them to realize that I'm a social recluse :p.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Nahhh. I am close to family and wouldn't want to lose the friends. Remembers its not what you know.. its who your know.

Jun 19, 2004
A girl I've been dating on again off again since the first of December came down to SC from Michigan. It's been a pretty hard transistion for her. she doesn't feel like she fits in here. Things are done at a much different pace, a much slower pace than she's used to. It's hard for her because she fights it. I try to tell her if she continues to do that she'll lose. I think she's finally starting to see that. It's easier to change one self vs. trying to change the environment surrounding you.

I know if I moved up north if I didn't like the way things are done I'd either have to learn to adapt or leave. I wouldn't dream of everything bending to my will just because that's how I wanted it.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Sometimes I want to do that .. I am not quite sure I have the balls though.

I would just love to see more of my country...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i don't take change very well, unless it benefits me in some way. i always get really nervous and worry a lot. in the end, its usually worrying over nothing.

i've been really thinking lately how i'd like to just go and explore the US. I just have this strong urge to wander around, just drive around seeing stuff, taking photos, experiencing what its like elsewhere especially since i've never really been anywhere outside PA. the last time i was outside PA was in HS, maybe senior year for a school trip, and that was only to D.C.

I really want to go out West - Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Arizona, etc. I'd also love to go to Europe and Asia, but like i said earlier, i doubt it will ever happen unless i come into a large amount of money.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
I'm about to go to Asia for a year, and then move to a different state when I get back. I figured it was time for some big changes.

Dec 27, 2001
Making your way in the world today
takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries,
sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I've done it a couple of times ... this past time with my wife, who grew up in the town I live in now. I still have my friends in the old places, but I'm pretty happy here now, and when I arrive I knew no one past my wife and her parents.

Getting involved in extracurricular activities such as golf, basketball etc. has introduced me to a whole new world of people. I love it.

Damn Dirty Ape

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 1999
I'd like to, but take the wife and kids. I know that might not exactly qualify, but I'd love to pick up and move somewhere completely different. Tired of living here, not that much to see or do, job opportunities are very small for the most part too.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've done pretty much the same thing all my life. As a kid, (A.F. brat) we moved to new places about every 3-6 years, and as an adult, I chased construction all over the west. Sometimes moving every 6 months, other times staying in one place 2-3 years. We've been in our current house almost 8 years, (the longest I've lived any one place), and in the Modesto area almost 20 years. (the longest in any one area)
Something to be said for putting down roots, but I DO miss the occasional change. My feet still get "itchy" and want to wander...(must be that 1/32 of Gypsy in my heritage) ;) I keep pushing my wife to sell almost everything and move to Hawaii, but cost of living there is high, and I still have to get through school first. Time will tell, but within a few years...

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I didt it @ 21 years of age. Upstate NY to Lafayette, Louisiana.

Five years in the oil patch gave me a whole new perspective on life. Smartest move I ever made.

Dec 27, 2001
I could care less about the "people not knowing me part" but I think it might be nice to move to England or some place that would be familiar enough but also very different......just to have to learn all new locations and laws and traditions and culture while still being able to drink the water and speak the language.

Problem is I really really like where I live and the company I work at and love living in America. So I guess I'd like to be reluctantly temporarily relocated to a different country for my job or something so I could still scowl at the natives while at the same time trying to acclimate. :)

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
If I didn't have kids, I'd do it in a heart beat.

"See ya, honey. Here's half."

I'd drop everything and move to Northern California and pick grapes for the rest of my life.