Ever accidentally put gas in a diesel or diesel in a gas?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
This happened to us tonight. Were in a hurry and my father must have grabbed the wrong nozzle, a few hours latter and the car won't start.

Mar 19, 2003
Nope. I thought the nozzles were of different sizes so you couldn't put diesel in a regular gasoline tank? Or am I mistaken?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
Nope. I thought the nozzles were of different sizes so you couldn't put diesel in a regular gasoline tank? Or am I mistaken?

That's what I thought, however it turns out that you can. Or at least maybe sometimes you can. I know that you can't do this with leaded and unleaded gas.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005

They are different.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe

They are different.

Not always.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

other way around i believe.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Its true to an extent. Mosr diesel nozzles are larger to facilitate a higher flow rate to fill semi tanks. We're talkin 200 gallons here, not the 20 in your Accord.
However, some nozzles are designed for passenger vehicles (Same size as gas) to make it eaiser to fill up your car or truck. So, if your at a station that uses the car sized diesel nozzles then they are the same size as the gas nozzles. Also, if your at a pump with gas and diesel on the same island, your almost assured of having the same sized nozzles for both.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Specop 007

Its true to an extent. Mosr diesel nozzles are larger to facilitate a higher flow rate to fill semi tanks. We're talkin 200 gallons here, not the 20 in your Accord.
However, some nozzles are designed for passenger vehicles (Same size as gas) to make it eaiser to fill up your car or truck. So, if your at a station that uses the car sized diesel nozzles then they are the same size as the gas nozzles. Also, if your at a pump with gas and diesel on the same island, your almost assured of having the same sized nozzles for both.

Exactly the case here. Island had 2 gas and 1 diesel. They weren't extremely carefully labelled either you'd think they'd paint the diesel one a different colour or something.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Locut0s

Exactly the case here. Island had 2 gas and 1 diesel. They weren't extremely carefully labelled either you'd think they'd paint the diesel one a different colour or something.

The handles are usually different colored, black for gas and green for diesel. Same for storage cans. Gas is red, green is diesel, blue is water.
It might be law or code to have the nozzles colored. If the nozzles werent colored I would look into it as a possible misrepresentation or some such, however if the nozzles are black and green for gas and diesel then your dad is just a dumbass.

geckojohn

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
This happened to us tonight. Were in a hurry and my father must have grabbed the wrong nozzle, a few hours latter and the car won't start.

hahhah! lolz

geckojohn

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000

classic canadian thing! j/ik

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001

The handles are usually different colored, black for gas and green for diesel. Same for storage cans. Gas is red, green is diesel, blue is water.
It might be law or code to have the nozzles colored. If the nozzles werent colored I would look into it as a possible misrepresentation or some such, however if the nozzles are black and green for gas and diesel then your dad is just a dumbass.

We were in a hurry/

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

We were in a hurry/

I understand that. Hence my telling you you might want to check to see if the nozzles were colored correctly. If they arent, you *might* have a legal leg to stand on.
If they are, then hurry or not, well........ If the shoe fits.......

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe

They are different.

Not always.
Maybe not but all that I have seen are. At least he didn't put gas in a diesel engine. Much worse off that way.

Grouchyoldguy

Jun 4, 2003
Wont hurt the engine, but it might damage the o2 sensor. Drain the fuel, change the filter, cross your fingers. If it still wont start the plugs might be fouled and need cleaning/replacing. I am a heavy equipment mechanic and this happens often at my work.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Grouchyoldguy
Wont hurt the engine, but it might damage the o2 sensor. Drain the fuel, change the filter, cross your fingers. If it still wont start the plugs might be fouled and need cleaning/replacing. I am a heavy equipment mechanic and this happens often at my work.

Pretty much sums it up. Doesnt hurt anything, just makes a big mess. Call Mr. Clean.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
yea ur prolly ganna have to drain the fuel tank, change the fuel filter and change the plugs as diesel burns very dirty and everything prolly has a residue over it

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I almost did once. I didn't realize their were two nozzles and grabbed the one closest to me at the moment. I noticed that it was green, thought that odd, then noticed the black one on the other side of the pump. It was one of those stations where you have to push the button for the type you want, so I would have eventually noticed it, when nothing came out of the nozzle. I felt really stupid that day. :)

: ) Amanda

zip1385

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2004
ROFL. I have no idea how someone could do that even in a hurry. I even own a diesel truck and a gas car.

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
Originally posted by: zip1385
ROFL. I have no idea how someone could do that even in a hurry. I even own a diesel truck and a gas car.

Me too, I always check it twice as the diesel car is the company car, which would mean my ass getting fired.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: zip1385

Funny, I own a diesel car and gas truck..... :confused: