Eve worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: crownjules
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Check out Sins of a Solar Empire from stardock, just released.
It , to me, is what I wish eve was like.

You obviously did not read the OP because he states IN THE FIRST SENTENCE that he has bought and played that game. His evaluating Eve is because of SoaSE.

I've played Eve for almost two years now. It's fun if you get in with the right group of people, but just like every other MMORPG I've discovered there are much better uses for my time/money. It was pretty thrilling every time I was able to use a new ship type.

The reply was intended for the post above mine.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: hooflung
Is this Randay from Tri.?

that was my main, until i sold him. everything after outbreak in the employment history is some other dude.

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
I'm going to d/l just as soon as I finish reformatting my backup HD. For some reason Vista 64 keeps pooping all over my backup files. I can back up my main HD to my secondary just fine. It works ok for a while but like the 2nd or third time I overwrite the previous files it quits recognizin the HD.

Edit: I'm gonna be looking for some peeps to PVP with, that's the only reason to get an online game. And you can basically "mug" people in designated safe areas? Lmao. Sounds like a ball. Just get a bunch a friends and go steal things. Definetely giving this one a shot.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
The fact that EVE caters to the "veteran" players disgusts me. The whole make the rich richer, the strong stronger etc. Also, EVE is NOT a place for the solo player unless you're investing years into to become the aforementioned "veteran" player. EVE is NOT for casual players either. Though their skill system DOES cater to it (queue up a 6 month skill, let your sub run out, come back to the game 6 months later and $90 richer by not playing for that 6 months). The fact that a single frigate can rape a battleship with for the most part impunity is annoying.

The game is very mathematical, which is cool. If you know how the system works, then you can survive. But when you have idiots camping every gate waiting to gank you, and there's not much else you can do but log off...

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Eve is very analytical type of game. Personally I love complex games but its not for me.

You want a great space game, for CHEAP with endless mods? go FREELANCER for like 10 bucks somewhere. It will easily be worth 10x's the amount you spent on it

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: SunnyD
The fact that EVE caters to the "veteran" players disgusts me. The whole make the rich richer, the strong stronger etc. Also, EVE is NOT a place for the solo player unless you're investing years into to become the aforementioned "veteran" player. EVE is NOT for casual players either. Though their skill system DOES cater to it (queue up a 6 month skill, let your sub run out, come back to the game 6 months later and $90 richer by not playing for that 6 months). The fact that a single frigate can rape a battleship with for the most part impunity is annoying.

The game is very mathematical, which is cool. If you know how the system works, then you can survive. But when you have idiots camping every gate waiting to gank you, and there's not much else you can do but log off...

lol

I only played by myself before, and now I play with my wife. We run missions for now while getting SP and ISK for our foray into 0.0 eventually. You can easily make 20-30m ISK/hr running lv 4 missions solo in empire.

And yes a frigate will own a battleship if the dude has cargo expanders and Battleship I trained. :roll: If you are so upset about getting killed, hang out in empire, till you can afford to die.

Its really that simple.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: novasatori

lol

I only played by myself before, and now I play with my wife. We run missions for now while getting SP and ISK for our foray into 0.0 eventually. You can easily make 20-30m ISK/hr running lv 4 missions solo in empire.

And yes a frigate will own a battleship if the dude has cargo expanders and Battleship I trained. :roll: If you are so upset about getting killed, hang out in empire, till you can afford to die.

Its really that simple.

Haha... I hope there's going to be more than just the two of you heading out into 0sec. Without an entire corp to back you up, you're likely to get owned. Repeatedly. Hell, even with an entire corp... Good luck just getting into 0sec, let alone trying to get all your phat lewt back out.

Your comments about hanging out in empire space - well, that's a time game rather than a money game. A noob by your philosophy should hang out in empire space for about a year or two.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
sunnyd is what happens when you got the emoragequit thing going :/

the steep learning curve can easily destroy a players mindset. but thats when you put the game down and take a break. the best thing is, while you are taking a break your character is still training :). you can put the game down or you can go to empire and do some missions etc...

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: novasatori

lol

Its really that simple.

Haha... I hope there's going to be more than just the two of you heading out into 0sec. Without an entire corp to back you up, you're likely to get owned. Repeatedly. Hell, even with an entire corp... Good luck just getting into 0sec, let alone trying to get all your phat lewt back out.

Your comments about hanging out in empire space - well, that's a time game rather than a money game. A noob by your philosophy should hang out in empire space for about a year or two.

I am planning to join a corp obviously. I've been in low sec and 0.0 with a previous corp, when all I could fly was frigates. It was much harder then than it is now to replace ships and make money too.

You only need a couple months of training and many corps will take you out to pvp in low sec in just a frigate after trial.

Also, I've only been actively playing/training for about 6 months and am ready to go and join a larger corp for low sec and 0.0 again, I'm just waiting on friends and helping them in empire. I'd still be out there if my old corp didn't disband, and I didn't take a break from playing.

I guess I better stay in empire for another 1.5 yrs. :roll:

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

Oh by the way, just to add to your grief. I have about 8 active subscriptions and dont spend a single dime on them. all paid for with in-game ISK by buying game time cards.

reots

Feb 19, 2008
Now I've only been playing this game for a little over 6 month so obviously, I'm pretty noob at EVE. That said here's some pretty obvious points I've found out over time:

-If you are trying this game out on trial, you should start with one of the characters with a soldier backround first. It's easiest to solo early on and you won't get bored mining as mining is only as fun as what you are going to use your minerals for and as a first time player, don't bother wasting too much time with it. Missions WILL make you ISK faster in the beginning

-missions can be boring and repetive. They are not the point of EVE, they only open up alot of good possibilities like R&D agents. You can make more money killing NPC rats outside of missions but then you miss out on things like R&D agents , which are pretty much like free ISK after you get them

-Don't join the first Corporation that asks you to. Some are much better than others and if you join a Corp with alot of Enemies you will never be safe, even in High Sec. A good one though will make the game 10 times better.

-A two week player can take out a 4 year player, as long as they are in a gang. You do not have to train months to be a tackler, someone that keeps the target from escaping. This is a position in demand from day one, unlike a game like WOW where high level players couldn't care less about new players.

-Don't fly in low sec, anything under .5, if you aren't ready to lose what you are flying. Saves alot of misery.

-Doesn't mean you can't visit, just make sure to fly something cheap when you are starting out

-Don't think spending alot of isk with no skills is going to help you gain a competitive advantage. It only gives you alot more to lose.

-Autopilot can be VERY CONVENIENT...almost too convenient. Use with care

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
I you want a get that lets you control a ship but don't mind that it's not a pew...pew...pew space ship then try out Pirates of the Burning Sea. It's EVE-lite minus the timed skill training feature.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: maxster
Why don't you play Freespace 2?

Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
If you want a fps style space game. Get Freespace 2

Make that 3 votes for FS2, especially since 3.6.10 is coming soon (still in beta) and it will bring a lot of graphical updates. I've only played through FS1 and FS2, haven't even touched the dozens of fan-made campaigns, and it's a good game. The only reason I didn't get more into it than the campaigns is that none of my friends were interested in it and I get tired of playing AIs fairly quickly.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: randay
sunnyd is what happens when you got the emoragequit thing going :/

the steep learning curve can easily destroy a players mindset. but thats when you put the game down and take a break. the best thing is, while you are taking a break your character is still training :). you can put the game down or you can go to empire and do some missions etc...

emoragequit? That's a stupid term. I didn't quit because I got because of gankings or whatnot. Hell, the most fun I had was running blockades and playing catch-me-if-you-can through lowsec and 0-space. I got bored, because this game is NOT casual-friendly, and NOT solo-friendly. I really got sick of the "Be there at 4pm sharp for X or Y or you get booted", and the typical corp (guild) 12-year-old crap. Missioning for ISK, boring. Mining in highsec: boring. The fact that combat in the game is very simplistic once you understand how tracking works took a lot of the fun out of the game.

I really got bored and very disillusioned with the game, which is typical of any MMO. It's a pretty game, but pretty boring at the same time.