Eve worth it?

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
I just bought Sins of a Solar empire. Love it, great graphics, immense gameplay. I have 12 hours or so logged on one save game in a 20 planet system and I still only control 5 planets. Epic. Now, I'm having a renewed appetite for space games and I want a more fps style space game to play. The last space games I really played hard core where Wing Commander and the original Tie Fighter and Star Wars games. Back when joysticks only had two buttons.

I've looked at Eve and it seems to be worth a shot. Any final opinions? I'm not looking for something that you can just jump online and get really good and it gets boring after a while because you can epically punk anyone with an uber space ship. Eve seems to deliver that, at least in the previews and trailers but I prefer it straight from the gamers.

Also, any other space games I should try out? Thanks all.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Eve isn't really fps style. You issue commands to your ship and it does it. What little I played during the trial was interesting. Biggest drawback I think is that you need something else to do while you play the game. Either book, movie, a second video game there's a lot of waiting involved in the game. It's got a 14 day trial so you might as well give it a shot.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I'm on my second trial now, and I'll be subscribing to it when this trial expires. I really like it, and an IRL friend of mine and I are mining/manufacturing. We just joined a small corp. It's fun. Check out a trial.

Oct 25, 2006
Eve Online is the furthest thing from a FPS style Space Game.

Also, if you are looking for a game where you can't get good fast, Eve Online is it.

It takes a Year to get decently good enough to fight other people.

The game is time based, which menas you don't have to play in order to get better. But on the ot+her side, it takes forever to do anything.

If you want a game that is meant only for the Harcore, Eve is your game.

In other words, I don't think you will like it considering the type of game you want.

Stefx

Jul 17, 2007
Eve is a "Hate it or love it" kinda game, as you can see from the comment above.

It is not made for everyone, and currently has a subscriber base of ~250k players (or acounts, not sure).

As suggested, try the 14 day trial and give it a shot. I've been playing it for over a year now but there is no way I can forecast if you will like it or not.

If you do go ahead with the trial, ping me (Stefx) and I'll answer any question you may have.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
as long as you dont have a habit of emoragequitting due to the huge learning curves and inevitable setbacks, eve could be the game for you!

ive been playing for 4 years now, unless you have a friend to guide you in eve, within the first 3 months, you will undoubtedly get pwned so hard that you feel like quitting, maybe even multiple times. the sky is the limit and its a lot of effort to get anywhere in eve and it can ALL be lost in a matter of seconds, it will help a lot to have a friend who can teach you how to avoid things and help you back on your feet/support you when it does happen.

maybe im making it seem worse then it really is, but i feel its important to know if you want to get passed the first few weeks of eve and really get to the enjoyable content.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I didnt enjoy Eve. I wanted to and tried to but the steep learning curving and difficulty of figuring out what to do at times with not much help just ruined it for me. I never got past the 14 trial period. in fact I gave it up before 14 days. Like any game you'll either like it or hate it. I will say one good thing about EvE though. That Trinity Client update is one of the finest looking graphics programs I have ever seen in a pc game to date. In fact, I cant think of anything that beats it. Graphically speaking the game is spectacular to look at while gaming. Its just a shame its a hard difficult game to figure out and play.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
Someone else mentioned Jumpgate : Evolution in another thread.
I've been reading up on it and it seems like it might be what your looking for. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully it will live up to my expectations.

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
Thanks all. I'm definetely going to give it a trial. Even though I don't like getting spanked I do enjoy a steep learning curve. Sounds like it's a game that you can actually be proud of being good at and at the least being able to survive in. Also sounds like you a game you can play and eat dinner too, maybe even walk away from at times. Sounds like a good game to play when I'm cleaning the house on Saturdays.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Peelback79
Thanks all. I'm definetely going to give it a trial. Even though I don't like getting spanked I do enjoy a steep learning curve. Sounds like it's a game that you can actually be proud of being good at and at the least being able to survive in. Also sounds like you a game you can play and eat dinner too, maybe even walk away from at times. Sounds like a good game to play when I'm cleaning the house on Saturdays.

Lmao, it'll be good at that for sure ;)

As with any MMORPG, expect there to be more grind and thus more time commitment requirement than single-player games. It's a great game if you don't mind that. The game's not for me though.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
EVE is a very "hands-off" style game and is not suited to the FPS minded gamer

First of all, a joystick is useless in the game, as everything is simplified into a few mouse clicks and key strokes, including combat. The combat is automatic, you choose your target and then the random generator takes over. It's all up to your character's skill levels, the equipment your ship has, and a bit of luck. Your skill as a player is negligible.

Those skills your character have are gained by waiting for a certain amount of actual real life time. You buy these skill books in game (so sometimes you actually need to play to afford the books) but once you use a book and train the skill you can log off and watch TV while the skill is learned slowly over time. Log back into the game a week or a month later and the skill is done.

For example, it doesn't matter if you log in or not, it doesn't matter if you spent 12 hours in intense combat or spend 12 hours mining asteroids, your combat skills will be gained at the same rate in real life time.

This causes a severe imbalance in the game between the new players and the people who have been playing for years. You see, they have been training skills all this time and the game is constantly releasing new tech levels which basically result in never ending skills to train in a given field, such as combat. Those vets can continue to train skills over time to gain more and more bonuses. The new player is *always*, always at a disadvantage. Those extra skill levels the older player have means they have passive bonuses and means they can fit their ship with better equipment then you, and this boils down to concrete bonuses such as they may produce 15% extra damage to you, are 10% faster, maneuver 5% better, etc... And since this game combat is automated and handled by pure mathematics (no aiming your guns or trying to dodge missiles with your joystick) this is a big deal.

Anyway, that's why I didn't like EVE. It's a shame because the game had such great graphics and a really nice, sleek interface. It fulfills the futuristic space feeling very well

for a real space sim, my favorite is Independence War 2. It's not TOO old, maybe early 2000's? Was a lot of fun playing that game. The space sim genre is pretty much dead though unfortunately.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Eve is the only game I have played that I actually fell asleep while paying.

rofl

was it that seductive Icelandic female voice repeating "approaching star gate" over and over as you travel?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Originally posted by: randay
as long as you dont have a habit of emoragequitting due to the huge learning curves and inevitable setbacks, eve could be the game for you!

Emoragequitting is the word of the day for all the internets!!!!!

FYI Eve can be fun but the griefing factor cant be ignored. Its a truly unregulated experience and has very little help from mods and gms and such. Some friends of mine played it for years and their greatest joy was obliterating noobs en mass.....

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: lozina
This causes a severe imbalance in the game between the new players and the people who have been playing for years. You see, they have been training skills all this time and the game is constantly releasing new tech levels which basically result in never ending skills to train in a given field, such as combat. Those vets can continue to train skills over time to gain more and more bonuses. The new player is *always*, always at a disadvantage. Those extra skill levels the older player have means they have passive bonuses and means they can fit their ship with better equipment then you, and this boils down to concrete bonuses such as they may produce 15% extra damage to you, are 10% faster, maneuver 5% better, etc... And since this game combat is automated and handled by pure mathematics (no aiming your guns or trying to dodge missiles with your joystick) this is a big deal.

Actually it isnt as clear cut as that. There is a lot of strategy involved before combat even starts and during. if you know the game well enough you will learn that each ship has certain setups that are popular, and you can easily setup a smaller, weaker ship to exploit the vulnerabilities of the other ship. granted you still need a good amount of skillpoints to even get to that point, but its not unreasonable. I'd say after 6 months you could have enough to be a threat to just about any other player regardless of thier amount of skillpoints and have no problem beating them.

one example is dictating range, be too far for them to hit you, or be too close for them to track you. then you have electronic warfare, put a couple of tracking disrupters on a blasterthron and theres no chance in hell of it hitting you, put some dampeners on a carrier and the carrier is useless. the possibilities are quite interesting and the fact that everything can be boiled down to pure mathematics is what makes it all possible.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Eve is the only game I have played that I actually fell asleep while paying.

That happened to me last night haha.

To be fair though, I've fallen asleep in many a game :D

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I kind of miss playing Eve lately. I quit almost a year ago. I have a new computer now and a 24inch monitor. I bet the new client would look amazing. Maybe I'll give the trial another shot... damn temptation!

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Check out Sins of a Solar Empire from stardock, just released.
It , to me, is what I wish eve was like.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

They aren't similar games at all. Eve is an MMORPG that concentrates on building up a character (or three), while Solar Empire concentrates on RTS and strategy.

What you're saying is analogous to: Check out oranges. They, to me, are what I wish apples were like.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

You obviously did not read the OP because he states IN THE FIRST SENTENCE that he has bought and played that game. His evaluating Eve is because of SoaSE.

I've played Eve for almost two years now. It's fun if you get in with the right group of people, but just like every other MMORPG I've discovered there are much better uses for my time/money. It was pretty thrilling every time I was able to use a new ship type.

Angerisagift

Dec 11, 2007
I played Eve hardcore for about a year racked up around a million skill points, before I quit I was a director in the corp I was in we had something like 150 members, though now I hear they are defunct and it's just a handful of original members left look em up ingame, they tend to be pretty helpful Red Eclipse Corp RECLP Tell them Joe Argonus says hi.

one thing I can say helps new players out immensely is joining a player corp, the NPC corps, are full of thousands of chatterboxes trying to figure out how to play the game in general chat, but the truth is so many people are trying it's unreadable. If you get into a corp with say 100 members, they generally have delegated responsibilites, and it will be someone's to help you get on your feet, kick you some ISK and some starter ships. at least that's what I did in my corp, training and recruiting director. My policy was frigates are free, as far as everything else if you can fly it, you should be able to pay for it and insure it. I got to the point I just started crafting my own frigates for the new corpies because it was cheaper in bulk.

I must say the game has one of the most complex and functional ingame economies I've ever seen, you can literally make a fortune just playing the numbers, I spent some decent ISK to get Cruise Missile blueprints, then would craft them cheap out of one system, then cart them over a few systems and sell them for a lot more. at one point I could make 5-10 million a night just selling ammo.

Eve's not for everybody, but that's not a bad thing.

BTW: the only reason I quit was because I got married, not because I was bored.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: randay

ive been playing for 4 years now, unless you have a friend to guide you in eve, within the first 3 months, you will undoubtedly get pwned so hard that you feel like quitting, maybe even multiple times. the sky is the limit and its a lot of effort to get anywhere in eve and it can ALL be lost in a matter of seconds, it will help a lot to have a friend who can teach you how to avoid things and help you back on your feet/support you when it does happen.

maybe im making it seem worse then it really is, but i feel its important to know if you want to get passed the first few weeks of eve and really get to the enjoyable content.

Is this Randay from Tri.?

@OP yes I have been playing for 4 years too. PVP is just about the only thing I do... on my 3 main accounts. PVP in this game comes in all shapes and sizes and EVE is the only game out there that gives back only what you put into it. Everyone saying its a sleepers game, or one you can walk away from... just don't 'get' it. There are times you can go AFK and if you center your lifestyle around that then boredom will eventually set in.

But arguably the best alliances in EVE pound for pound ( like the band of brothers alliance ) play EVE very much like an RTS from their leadership perspective. It is basically a live action RTS where logistics, industry and combat are PVP related. You 'could' just mine and build and try to be a carebear but there is a cost for it and it could be boredom depending on your personality. You could get bored running missions, as it is just a isk printing occupation that is to help people supplement their PVP habits.

Some people, a lot of those who bash it, try to make those ocupations their will to play when the developers never intended that content to be anything more than wallet fatteners for the PVP experience.

Lately, the carebears that do mission running safely in secure space have been complaining because me and a lot of others ( A LOT ) have been killing their isk/hour by salvaging goods in their missions... skies the limit baby. Its funny to hear someone froth at the mouth IN high security space and threaten you with war dec's when you are salvaging THEIR shit.

Its ironic too because they won't, because its a free wardec for you to kill them, and they won't step out of high sec where you could kill them. CCP love to add stuff like this balance out the carebearitis people get. Oh, and its fun to grief those people out the game. That is one aspec of EVE that no other game really shares. And is just the tip of the iceberg.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Eve Online is the furthest thing from a FPS style Space Game.

It has its moments to offer FPS paced action. There is just a wallet factor that needs to be aquired first.

Also, if you are looking for a game where you can't get good fast, Eve Online is it.
[/quote]

Depends on what you determine as good. I can take a noob and turn him into a pwn mobile if their character and determination are there. You also don't need to be in the latest and greatest, or flavor of the month, setup to be good. A frigate and some basic skills can make you a integral part of any group.

It takes a Year to get decently good enough to fight other people.

Not even close to a year. 1 month is all it takes to be a very solid frigate pilot. If you joined a PVP only group that supply the frigates and cruisers for free you don't even need to spend your days making money to PVP. Solo PVP is mostly dead except for ganking NPCers who aren't equipped to handle you.

The game is time based, which menas you don't have to play in order to get better. But on the ot+her side, it takes forever to do anything.

So how come there are guys in my PVP only corporation that have played less than a month and been doing nothing but PVP since the day they started?

If you want a game that is meant only for the Harcore, Eve is your game.

Tell that to the guys who have new borns in my corp who play 3-4 times a week for an hour or so at a time, or are in graduate school with thesis papers who own face.

In other words, I don't think you will like it considering the type of game I want.

Fixed the last one for you ;)