Question Ethernet to USB Adapter

RhoXS

Aug 14, 2010
I have an older HP 1310n laser printer I want to use in a new office. It must be connected using the existing WiFi network as it must be located some distance from my laptop. I was planning on using an unused Netgear EX6100 range extender with an Ethernet port as a print server. Unfortunately, this printer was set on a shelf a few years ago because the Ethernet port does not work. Replacing the circuit board with the Ethernet port with a new board did not fix it. However, the USB still works fine meaning I must find either a wireless USB print server to go right from the WiFi network to the printer or an Ethernet to USB adapter to use with the Netgear range extender. To my surprise I cannot find either type of adapter. Any suggestions would be welcome as I really do not want to buy a new printer when this old 1300n still does an excellent job.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Use 3rd party firmwares (DDWRT, variant Tomato, OpenWRT, etc) flashed router which supports USB printer and can be put in wifi extender/bridge mode? Even then, USB printer compatibility will be a big issue.

Buying a new wifi usb print server also doesn't guaranty the compatibility.

Last edited:

RhoXS

Aug 14, 2010
QuietDad: He actually needs a USB print server with ethernet.
I actually need either a Wifi printer server with a USB output for the printer or an Ethernet to USB converter as the Netgear range extrender has an Ethernet output.

I did look at buying a new printer. An ink jet is out as this printer will get very little sporadic use so it is inevitable the ink cartridges nozzles clogging will always be a major problem. The cost of a new laser printer is too high for the little use it will get. Therefore, serving a USB printer from a WiFi network seemed to be an ideal inexpensive solution. I am surprised the hardware to do this is not readily and inexpensively available.

The 1300n, aside from the non-functional USB port, is an excellent printer. After sitting in a closet for three years or so it worked perfectly when I tried it yesterday. Interestingly the Ethernet port is alive as the little lights on both RJ-45 sockets (the printer and my laptop) light up and flash. The printer just does not take the data and Windows continues to show a pending document.

Reactions: QuietDad

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Any wifi router that has USB and support for running DD-WRT or OpenWRT would be able to do this (USB is usually listed under "special features"):

The "router" does not need to be used as your main "router". Just set it as an additional access point, or even just a wireless bridge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steltek

RhoXS

Aug 14, 2010
Well, the problem I presented got solved in a very unexpected manner. When the 1320n printer was in regular use, I had it connected via an Ethernet connection to a five port switch connected to my cable router. About five years or so ago the 130n just stopped accepting print jobs. I found if I connected it to my desk top using its USB interface, it worked fine. I replaced the board with the Ethernet port and that did not solve the problem. I eventually replaced it with a color laser printer and it sat on a shelf. A few weeks ago when this need arose for a printer, the 1310n seemed ideal. I tried connecting the Ethernet point to a five port switch but it still would not work. Everything else works connected to this switch so it seemed reasonable to assume the Ethernet port on the printer is bad. Ergo, the need to connect it via a USB port.

Last night, on a whim, I set up the Netgear EX6100 range extender, as a range extender, to my home WiFi network and just connected the the printer's Ethernet port to the Ethernet port on the Netgear EX6100. To my great and pleasant surprise, Windows on my laptop immediately found the printer and it works perfectly. I again tried connecting the printer to my switch and again it would not work. I have no idea what changed five years ago and why it will still not work connected to a switch but it does work connected to the range extender. Nevertheless, the problem is now moot.

Last edited: