• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Ethernet Teaming?

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
So both of the desktops in my room have dual RJ45 ports, rated at 1Gb/s or higher. Both with at least 1 Intel port, so I can use the Intel Teaming software. But for some reason, after setting both up and connecting everything, I cannot get speeds higher than 1Gbps of transfer no matter the mode used (Static Link Aggregation, Dynamic, Fault Tolerance, Load balancing etc...) Odd thing is, when I go to task manager and go to the team ethernet adapter, it says the link is 2Gbps when right clicking on the graph and saying view network details.

I am running Win 10 Pro 1909 on both computers, and they are attached with a 5 port Gb switch, of which one port goes to my router. Could it be the switch? Or does windows just not like me and this setup?

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ok so after some research, looks like I need some more expensive managed switches which support link aggregation.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Played with teaming as well recently. Laptop's built in Gigabit Ethernet + USB Gigabit Ethernet adapter. Finally got it working with Netgear S8000's LAG feature however I only got it working as fault tolerant and not double bandwidth.

I was able however to get it working double bandwidth, IRONICALLY, if you turn off teaming and LAG and only with Windows FileShare. Apparently Windows Samba supports multi connection bandwidth. I forgot the exact feature name, but I didn't have to do anything fancy other than having multiple connections.

Which reminds me, that it ought to work WiFi + wired as well. Perhaps I'll play around with that on another rainy day.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Link aggregation will only provide more than 1Gbps in a situation where two sessions use both adapters. Any single session will be stuck to the limit of line speed. SMB3 introduced multipath and can utilize every port on a segment to maximize bandwidth.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
No managed switch required if both ends have SMB 3.0 multichannel but it doesn't always work.

(Windows 8.0 / Windows 2012 and up all supports SMB 3.0 multichannel)

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Link aggregation will only provide more than 1Gbps in a situation where two sessions use both adapters. Any single session will be stuck to the limit of line speed. SMB3 introduced multipath and can utilize every port on a segment to maximize bandwidth.
^THIS^
The thing you also need to think about with link aggregation is it is a perfect analogy of a single lane vs 2 lane highway. The speed limit on the highway is still the same, there are simply 2 lanes on it. The only way to utilize the additional bandwidth is for multiple applications to be taking advantage of it, but a single TCP based application will not be able to go faster than 1gbps.

ASK THE COMMUNITY