Ethernet slower connected to router vs modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JumBie, Nov 3, 2012.

1. JumBie

JumBie Golden Member

I just upgraded my Linksys WRT54GS with a Cisco WRT120N which I got for free from a friend. I noticed that with the Wireless g modem, all wireless was maxed out at 15-19mbps, and hard wired was also limited to about 55mbps, much slower than my 120mbps connection.

After installing the new modem and testing the wireless N out I realized that the connection was maxing out at 58mbps and that was with a wireless network card. I'm not sure why that seems to be my max as I was almost sure I would be able to reach at least 80mbps on wireless N.

What surprised me even more was that when I connected to the router via ethernet, the connection was maxing out at 88mbps far from the 120mbps connection that I could get if I plugged my computer directly into the modem. Does anyone know what the deal is with that? I was almost sure I would be able to reach the max throughput by connecting to ethernet through he modem, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

You have 120 Mb/sec. Internet connection, Where are you on Vulcan?

:cool:

3. AnonymouseUser

AnonymouseUser Diamond Member

That router only does 100Mbps max through the LAN ports. You need a gigabit router and adapter to reach your 120Mbps speeds.

As for Wifi speeds, that may be a limitation or incompatibility of your wifi adapter. What adapter do you have, and what security settings are you using?

#3 AnonymouseUser, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  4. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

you are a candidate for 802.11ac wireless gear. aka "gigabit wireless".

5. remixedcat

remixedcat Member

are you on 40 or 20Mhz mode on wireless?