Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 212 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Where the grin mining experts at? Teach us so we can put all this hashpower to use. Winding down eth operations.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I haven't even touched Grin yet. My mining rigs are gone anyway. So my input would be of limited value. If I hadn't torn down those systems, I might point them at Grin. But running all those Hawaii cards for minimal profits . . . woof.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I just started mining Grin, trying it out at least. We should really start a new thread for it though, so as not to clutter the Ethereum one :D

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
I just started mining Grin, trying it out at least. We should really start a new thread for it though, so as not to clutter the Ethereum one :D
Are you finding it much more profitable than mining Ethereum?

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
Where the grin mining experts at? Teach us so we can put all this hashpower to use. Winding down eth operations.
It's not too challenging, I'm using NB Miner and with 11 GB cards, mine the GRIN-31 variant since many 8 GB cards can't be configured to to mine it successfully.

The 1080 Ti at about 200W does about 1.05-1.1 g/s. The 2080 Ti is the powerhouse though, at about 1.85-1.9 g/s at the same power consumption. However, the 2080 Ti is meant for Bytom, where it can do about 15K h/s at 220W. The 1080 Ti by comparison does only about 5000 h/s. And hilariously, the BitMain ASIC built for Bytom does only 780 h/s at 360W. For once, GPUs have "ASIC-ed" an ASIC.

Reactions: n0x1ous

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
It's not too challenging, I'm using NB Miner and with 11 GB cards, mine the GRIN-31 variant since many 8 GB cards can't be configured to to mine it successfully.

The 1080 Ti at about 200W does about 1.05-1.1 g/s. The 2080 Ti is the powerhouse though, at about 1.85-1.9 g/s at the same power consumption. However, the 2080 Ti is meant for Bytom, where it can do about 15K h/s at 220W. The 1080 Ti by comparison does only about 5000 h/s. And hilariously, the BitMain ASIC built for Bytom does only 780 h/s at 360W. For once, GPUs have "ASIC-ed" an ASIC.
whats the profitability like? I have 1080tis and 2080tis

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Trying to figure out how to mine Grin / Cucatoo29 on my RX 570 cards. I downloaded GGM, and got it semi-working, but it keeps giving an error about "wrong nonce", when I point it at NH Grin pool. Read that NH pools use different nonces? Not quite sure, maybe I need to wait until some Windows' miner for Grin supports NH pools. Or maybe NH needs to tweak something on their side, they just added the Grin pool servers a few days ago I think.

Anyways, waiting for NHML to support it, supposedly BMiner does, but I can't quite figure out how to work the client, to get it to mine Grin, rather than Beam. There doesn't seem to be any NH algo entry for Grin mining, at least on AMD.

level 1
badgerpit

3 points · 28 days ago · edited 27 days ago

Seems like some clarity would be appreciated by many NH miners..

- Updated to reflect launch of NHML -
Happy to get corrected on this and I a imagine this will change pretty quick but for now, if you want to mine Grin on NH on your GPU, you need to:

1. Download and install NHML, there's a link on their home page (the legacy miner). Configure it with your miner name and wallet address.
  2. Have a rig running 1070's or above.. still no AMD.. the included Gminer still struggles with most 1060's
  3. Run your benchmarks with the newly installed NHML
  4. Hit start once benchmarks are finished.. you are mining using NHML... it will auto switch but for now, Grin is the most profitable
And don't:
- Don't enable (disabled by default) bminer in NHML

So, no AMD support for mining Grin in NHML yet, I guess, and no Grin love for GTX 1060 3GB cards.

Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
The thing to remember is that if you mine even through unprofitable periods, you can still make bank later when your tokens go up so long as you don't cash them in immediately. I mined a bunch of ETH during the 2016 DAO crash and made a big profit later when it skyrocketed beyond all expectation. Anyone who kept mining through the crypto crash of 2018 saw total token returns go up due to falling hashrates even if profits indexed in USD went down thanks to lowering prices.

Oh my.
Isn't this the perfect argument to purchase instead of mine?

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011

Yes please! I'm interested. I've been doing some RVN mining and it's gone well.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Isn't this the perfect argument to purchase instead of mine?

Eventually that's what I started doing, with ETH. The difference is that mine&hold provides steady tokens at repeatable costs, whereas buy&hold requires funding up front (unless you buy over time, such as via dollar cost averaging).

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Eventually that's what I started doing, with ETH. The difference is that mine&hold provides steady tokens at repeatable costs, whereas buy&hold requires funding up front (unless you buy over time, such as via dollar cost averaging).
Once the cost of mining a coin exceeds the value, its better to buy, unless you can use the waste energy (heat).

I always found the dollar cost averaging argument as flawed. I tend to see each new investment as something unique. To use the previous price to lower the average negates the initial advantage. Related thinking to the sunk cost fallacy. As they say, each day is the first day of the rest of your life, so make decisions as if now starting.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Once the cost of mining a coin exceeds the value, its better to buy, unless you can use the waste energy (heat).

Well yes that's basically true. Mining at a loss is foolish when you can just take your electrical expenditures and spend that on tokens instead.

I always found the dollar cost averaging argument as flawed. I tend to see each new investment as something unique. To use the previous price to lower the average negates the initial advantage.

DCA isn't all bad. Preferably, you use DCA over a given time slice so that if you're buying and price increases, you at least got in a few purchases early before your price point went up. If you're buying during a downtrend, then your price just keeps going down, and you get to buy at least a few tokens at or near the floor. Not using DCA basically says, "I'm pshycic and I know exactly where the floor is and how to buy at that price". Which is . . . generally not going to happen. You can pool your resources and take your one shot when you think prices are bottomed out, but what if you're wrong?

I took another shot at the crypto market (buying, not mining) in November. Thought I had found the bottom. In truth, I'm down %12.5 since then, and it has been down as much as %21 from my buy point since then (sometime in January). So obviously I missed the floor. I didn't miss by much, though. Regardless, had I used DCA and slow-played it, I probably could have done a bit better. There was no way to know if the market was going to jump in Dec/Jan like it did in 2017/2018.

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
whats the profitability like? I have 1080tis and 2080tis
As is typical in a non-bear market, profitability isn't high. The 1080 Tis are getting about 0.22 Grin/day, while the 2080 Ti had been making as much as 23 Bytom/day but more recently about 19/day (about $1.66/day based on current CoinMarketCap pricing).

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
Now that I've had the chance to really see what I can squeeze out of a Radeon VII, it's incredibly efficient at mining Ethereum. When running it at 1500 MHz, 850 mV core, stock memory settings, and -20% power limit, I get 75 MH/s with a total card power consumption of just 188 watts above where the rig idles without the GPU connected. That's just 2.5 watts per MH. For comparison, the 1060 6GB used to be among the most efficient cards doing 22-23 MH at 85 W, or about 3.9 W/MH (those are my own numbers from a tweaked 6 card 1060 rig I have). Bottom line: the Radeon VII is over 50% more energy efficient than a 1060 6GB at mining. Once you back the clocks off into the chip's sweet spot, the enormous memory bandwidth plus the 7 nm process really make a huge difference.

If crypto goes into a bull market again anytime soon, I would expect Radeon VII cards to become virtually inaccessible and worth a mint. Not that availability is great now, but at least Amazon is managing to keep preorders at MSRP continuously available for the past few days straight. Supply seems to be slowly catching up - those stupid rumors of only 5000 cards being made can pretty well be dismissed at this point.

Reactions: Tlh97

nhirsch

May 25, 2016
I have an ETH mining rig with 8 AMD RX 580 8GB GPUs all modified with Polaris. The rig has been running fine but then noticed GPU3 jumped up to 87.7 Mh/s! It's spitting errors however on the share calculations. Anyone have any idea what happened? I dropped the GPU power .5 Mv on each card using Trixx

GPU3-87.JPG

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This thread just made me remember I'm still mining lol, I totally forgot. The rig is just in my rack chugging away with the rest of my servers.

Just realized I hit 2.03486 eth now. That's about $473.06 at current prices, can pay for half of one 1070 TI. (what I paid for at the time).

Will keep on going though, if a miracle happens and it skyrockets or something then I can cash out. I need to find a Canadian exchange though.. there's not many. I was with QuadrigaCX but the CEO took the money and ran and it's gone now. (thankfully I had like $10 at most in there)

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would identify and isolate GPU3, try mining with it/testing it as a lone GPU. It could have gone bad or unstable.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would identify and isolate GPU3, try mining with it/testing it as a lone GPU. It could have gone bad or unstable.

I agree that @nhirsch should follow this course of action. If the card works solo, try running two or three cards together, and slowly step up to running all cards, to see where the problem emerges. I had a problematic rig with mostly R9 290s (and a lone 270, yay Pitcairn!!!) that absolutely would not work at all with 4 290s. 3 290s and a 270? Sure! But only at 800 MHz (except for the 270, which could use whatever clockspeed it wanted). Why? I never went through the hassle of fully diagnosing the problem, but I long suspected the PSU. I was able to run all the 290s involved properly in my other rig at higher clocks with up to 3 other cards, and cards I moved to the problem rig exhibited the same "3 Hawaii max" behavior along with the same clockspeed restrictions.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
You guys think there will be another mining craze?Bitcoin is at 8k now and gaining 1k per day...and of course all altcoins also goes up.I know there are pretty much asic miners for all altcoins but...
We just slowly recovering from last mining craze and prices for GPUs finally get down after 2years mining and now this:mad:
I dont think pc gaming market can take another round of mining and crazy high gpu prices.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
You guys think there will be another mining craze?Bitcoin is at 8k now and gaining 1k per day...and of course all altcoins also goes up.I know there are pretty much asic miners for all altcoins but...
We just slowly recovering from last mining craze and prices for GPUs finally get down after 2years mining and now this:mad:
I dont think pc gaming market can take another round of mining and crazy high gpu prices.

It depends on prices. If BTC hits 50k and everything else follows, yup. We'll see a mining crazy even with how saturated the market already is. If AMD and NVIDIA release some solid 7nm cards I'll probably pick up a bunch to play with.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Mining is different now. Bitcoin is, of course, dominated by ASICs, so that will not affect dGPU prices. Ethereum now has ASICs, too. There are some smaller projects out there minable on dGPUs like Grin, and of course there's always the CryptoNite coins like XMR and so forth. But the market will have to go way up before those start up another craze. @ozzy702 may be right in that BTC will have to go up quite a bit more before the mining starts again in earnest. It'll probably fire up at around $15k-$20k BTC, assuming it ever gets there.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
At the current prices it's just easier to buy ETH outright, much less hassle. Hence why you're seeing all the cheap cards on ebay. There might be another mining craze if ETH goes high enough, but IMO the market is changing. If ETH ever implements POS there won't be many coins left to mine aside from XMR and random shitcoins.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
At the current prices it's just easier to buy ETH outright, much less hassle. Hence why you're seeing all the cheap cards on ebay. There might be another mining craze if ETH goes high enough, but IMO the market is changing. If ETH ever implements POS there won't be many coins left to mine aside from XMR and random shitcoins.

Yeah, right now depending on your cost of electricity it's around $140-$200 per ETH to mine based on just electricity, not even factoring hardware costs. ETH will need to get around ~ $750 before we see another mining craze.