Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 208 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
So for you guys who follow the crypto world closely, any updates on what we can expect from Ethereum? PoS any time soon?

Following the failed testnet hardfork back early this month, they will try again. The testnet hardfork of Constantinople is end of the year, and they are looking at January 16th for the public net hardfork.

This isn't a shasper(sharding/casper) hardfork, but still an important one as it contains improvements relevant for developers and enabling L2 scaling like state channels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elfear

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Ohhhh like wear on the SSD. I thought it was actual data downloaded from the chain so far.

So on a spindle I guess this would not be too much of an issue. I kinda want to do a raid array and try to download the chain again. My NFS storage was too slow but if I do a dedicated local array it will probably be able to keep up I imagine.
I'm not sure if it's possible on spindle disks anymore unless you dedicate a lot of RAM to it. It's the IO load that is the deal breaker, which SSDs are much better at.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm thinking multiple 7200 rpm drives in raid 0, would that cut it? Like 4+ WD reds or blacks. That way you're not killing SSDs in short order. Is it just the thing of it taking a long time, or would it literally not be able to keep up? Would extra ram only help if you're using a raid solution like ZFS that leverages ram or is it geth itself that would take advantage of it?

Not sure if it's something I want to actually invest money in but might look into it if it's viable.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Does the IO capacity go up with RAID0? Or only the transfer rates. The IO capacity (or IOPS I think) is the bottleneck.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Best way to deal with syncing, at least using geth, is to run a huge RAM cache. That cuts down on host writes considerably.

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
How's everyone doing?
header2.jpg

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Me? I'm doing fine. Just sitting on some cash, waiting for the market to drop another 66% or so . . .

Reactions: IEC

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I got an infraction by posting in here once before. I won't post what I want to post.

We all get that you are angry.

Most people are accepting of criticism. It's how you deliver that matters vast majority of the time. Your posts are deliberately designed to be inflammatory. Perhaps if you can deliver your opinions(because that's what they are) in a more constructive matter you won't get into trouble.

Reactions: IEC and Elfear

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Most people are accepting of criticism. It's how you deliver that matters vast majority of the time.
It's not just that, but also the dissonance between literally wishing bad things to people who bought into the mining craze for profit, but having no such impulse against companies doing the same thing when it comes to RAM, GPU, CPU prices (with arguably much dire, long term consequences for the entire PC market). RAM prices have been inflated by more than 100% for a long while now, yet nobody keeps punctured Samsung voodoo dolls in their closet.

It's almost as if it's not the inflated price of the toy that's the problem, but the idea that somewhere someone else is making money from your purchase. If it's a toy maker "robbing" you that's acceptable, but another toy user doing it is a capitalist sin. How dare ya turn toys into profit!

But hey, maybe we gamers should be left alone to our own devices. We're past the mining craze, yet high-end GPU prices have reached an all-time high. Always bigger & greedier fishes in the sea, I guess.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's almost as if it's not the inflated price of the toy that's the problem, but the idea that somewhere someone else is making money from your purchase. If it's a toy maker "robbing" you that's acceptable, but another toy user doing it is a capitalist sin. How dare ya turn toys into profit!

He's just bitter that he didn't bother using some old AMD card to make mad cash. Hell Hawaii was profitable mining various coins all the way from its launch until sometime last year. Between LTC, ETH, XMR, and who-knows-what-else, anyone who had a simple 290 lying around had a money-making machine. For awhile there, other cards had the same basic capabilities. Pitcairn did well for itself for a long time too.

So try not to get too angry over people buying up Polaris, Vega, and other cards en masse, ye critics. You could've been rocking GCN to the fullest for a period of 3-4 years of solid profits which would've made it easy for you to buy any card you wanted. But you didn't.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
He's just bitter that he didn't bother using some old AMD card to make mad cash.
I seriously doubt that, he's definitely not in need of whatever gains are to be had through mining.

I've seen the side effects of mining first hand, people with limited budgets trying their best to get a decent card while prices kept going up daily. I remember a friend sold his RX 580 with a 20% markup over it's original sale price, and the buyer told him he had to buy 2nd hand as to minimize the wrath of his wife when she eventually found out about the purchase.

A bit of tragedy, a bit of comedy, but in the end let's not forget these are just toys for most people.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I'm thinking multiple 7200 rpm drives in raid 0, would that cut it?

You'll never know until you try. :)

I'm thinking you could also try to look for an SSD with a controller that has low write amplification. If you for example, found an SSD that reduced host writes to 1/5th(compared to thilanliyan's for example) because of the difference, maybe its worth it?

Also the RAM cache needed might have to be really large. Like 64GB or 128GB. And that number won't decrease.

ub4ty said:
How's everyone doing?

I don't get the Game of Thrones reference.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's not just that, but also the dissonance between literally wishing bad things to people who bought into the mining craze for profit, but having no such impulse against companies doing the same thing when it comes to RAM, GPU, CPU prices (with arguably much dire, long term consequences for the entire PC market). RAM prices have been inflated by more than 100% for a long while now, yet nobody keeps punctured Samsung voodoo dolls in their closet.

But hey, maybe we gamers should be left alone to our own devices. We're past the mining craze, yet high-end GPU prices have reached an all-time high. Always bigger & greedier fishes in the sea, I guess.

I mean, really, what about those @#$@#$% "Workstation" users, that buy beefy machines, to, you know, MAKE MONEY WITH THEM, rather than just PLAY GAMES. Where's the hate for them? Why do they get a pass, when miners don't.

So, count me in with those that don't quite get AdamK47's hate of miners specifically.

And agree with the other post, mining is basically DOA on GPUs at this point, save some XMR action, and yet, NV's video-card prices (MSRPs), are STILL GOING UP.

Care to explain that one, Adam? Could it be those @#%$@#% gamers are buying them?

Or maybe that the whole sorry situation, was ENGINEERED BY THE GPU COMPANIES, using SUPPLY-SIDE ECONOMICS?

Reactions: Feld

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I've seen the side effects of mining first hand, people with limited budgets trying their best to get a decent card while prices kept going up daily.

Those are, more often-than-not, people who got in on the mining fad late though. Anyone who was clued in already had multiple GPUs cranking away in the background before Polaris even hit the market. If mining had never gone beyond people snapping up and flogging used video cards, people like AdamK47 would have to vent their spleens elsewhere.

Or maybe that the whole sorry situation, was ENGINEERED BY THE GPU COMPANIES, using SUPPLY-SIDE ECONOMICS?

It was etailers first. The GPU companies figured it out and got in on the action later.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
DrMrLordX said:
It was etailers first. The GPU companies figured it out and got in on the action later.

Nvidia overpriced their cards with the 1080, before the mining boom. I guess you could call that engineering. I started seeing this disconnect between overall PC volume and revenue generated few years ago. You jack up prices to make up for any decline in volume. Apple, Intel, Nvidia, Microsoft all do this(Heck, I doubt its just the tech market). Smaller players like AMD follow. It wasn't until beginning of 2017 when mining hardware sales really picked up.

I bet significant amount of sales were done online. Pricing is quite automated these days you know? There was an article about how online prices can differ based on your purchase habits, location, and even the browser and the device you use to buy the item. So when demand picked up, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume places like Newegg and Amazon automatically responding(ahem, jacking up) prices.

If you were in the business of selling these stuff, you'd be called an idiot if you sold it for much lower than others did anyway.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I seriously doubt that, he's definitely not in need of whatever gains are to be had through mining.

I've seen the side effects of mining first hand, people with limited budgets trying their best to get a decent card while prices kept going up daily. I remember a friend sold his RX 580 with a 20% markup over it's original sale price, and the buyer told him he had to buy 2nd hand as to minimize the wrath of his wife when she eventually found out about the purchase.

A bit of tragedy, a bit of comedy, but in the end let's not forget these are just toys for most people.

This guy gets it.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
This guy gets it.

If you're that well-heeled then you're making a lot of noise over toys whose price means nothing to you. Yuck.

But hey rejoice! The market is eating another 10%+ loss! Which isn't making GPUs any cheaper, but can I interest you in some Antminer S7s??? Cheap cheap!

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
ETH is not worth due mining, but real usage and expectation from it
Its shame that ETH marketing team and Vitalik founded dozen of scam ICO and tokens just to push ETH at 1500$
Now we see downfall, scam tokens and most ICO will be destroyed, ETH will be back where it deserve
BTC will thrive and survive

For ETH I don`t know, they have tech that but not the speed needed for smart contracts, also ETH development is 100% centralized and no one believe in their chain which is controlled by one man

BTC is only real project which goal is clear from start and which does not use cheap scams as tokens and ICO sale to pump price for personal interest

Casper and sharding is just buzz word, maybe someone will make sharding and ETH team will use it, will it be in 2 years or 10 or never no one knows...... and that`s real truth about ETH tech, never trust no one, check!

Also never forget 70M or some 70% is ICO security premine, USA will hunt them dawn to pay 98% capital gain profit.. you can bet on that, in reality that REDACTED is pure security by any definition, and USA just wait for right moment

We have a zero tolerance policy about profanity in the tech sub-forums.
Don't do it again.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Oh good, we haven't had a pro-BTC troll in here in awhile. Maybe we can get you and AdamK47 to fight it out over something off-topic.

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
This is not off topic its reality, BTC never was worth due mining, mining is just a tool and tech to secure the network nothing more nor less

If ETH manage to decentralize developing and ownership it will survive if not some other project will overtake it one day or it will lose a lot more of value

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
ETH already decentralized development and ownership. What are you going on about?

And all I have to do is point at all the ASIC manufacturers and mining farms in China (the ones dumping their mining gear, heh) to show you that it was worth it to mine BTC. People made a TON of money doing that. All they had to do was muscle out the little guys.

Look we get it, you're a Bitcoin maximalist. Enjoy your store of value.

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
Ohhh I am REDACTED coin holder atm have zero BTC but I am not stupid to call ASIC miners and value bitcoin on tools used for mining

For that you have cancer called bcash, bch, bab, bsv.. abc or whatever REDACTED they promote :D

We have a zero tolerance policy about profanity in the tech sub-forums.
Please stop doing it.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: