Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Now might be a good time to kick back, relax, and snap up $200-or-less 390s. Up until this point, the best deals have been 290s, but you get ticking time bombs with some of those things. 390s are more reliable.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Good idea tweeting them but I doubt they're ready for the miner onslaught ;D

We really have no idea how many will be available at launch, only AMD does. I used that number as it was the only one mentioned so far but yeah coming from Kyle who knows. He could be completely off but that number seemed reasonable given the RX480's are built on a completely new fab.

I really doubt it's accurate, and is more likely pulled out of his rear end. Hell, OCUK basically said they have 1000+ cards from a single AIB, and are expecting to sell 500+ on the first day. I'd expect far fewer than that if there were yield issues.

Then again, if the number of available units worldwide isn't in the six figures, it'll probably still get bought like hotcakes by miners. I uh, might be restarting the hobby as soon as I can get my grubby paws on some reference RX 480s.

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
I really doubt it's accurate, and is more likely pulled out of his rear end. Hell, OCUK basically said they have 1000+ cards from a single AIB, and are expecting to sell 500+ on the first day. I'd expect far fewer than that if there were yield issues.

Then again, if the number of available units worldwide isn't in the six figures, it'll probably still get bought like hotcakes by miners. I uh, might be restarting the hobby as soon as I can get my grubby paws on some reference RX 480s.

I pre ordered 2 for now.

I got the msi 8gb models for 239 usd each.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
Lol really? Another fail in DAO software? What a high level of incompetence we have to witness here!

To quote the DAO's manifesto, it runs on "the steadfast iron will of immutable code." ...Unless they leave a bug in it that causes a $50 million loss, in that case beg for help! :thumbsup:

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Well maybe the recent news will slow down the 480 sales a bit? Hard fork incoming it looks like (finally)!

Edit:

These recent irresponsible disclosure of attacks are a cute nuisance. What these security "researchers" with an agenda may not realize is they're helping harden Ethereum without us having to pay anything through a silly DAO proposal ;)

Long term this is very beneficial to the eco system even if that means short term dips which is just another reason to buy profiting off the weak hands.

Reminds me of this meme:

https://youtu.be/2Oy6DwHAi70

Last edited:

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Does the hard fork mean that anyone that has been mining will lose out on the coins they got?

No the ether you have mined already will always be valid. Only if you stay mining on the same path or fork after the split you'll stop getting paid. If you mine where the majority (51% or more) will travel (new fork) business will continue as usual.

It'll take a bit for the exchanges and mining pools to switch over but ultimately a hard fork is easier to perform. Soft forks can be messy (as we were reminded today).

A clean hard fork with updated code changes to prevent the "known" attacks is the right move at this point. It may take a few hard forks before the security issues are worked out but so be it.

We're much better off relying on a system capable of being fixed than being held back by ideologies that don't really apply (apples and oranges).

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Well maybe the recent news will slow down the 480 sales a bit? Hard fork incoming it looks like (finally)!
I don't see any mention of this on https://blog.ethereum.org/ ?

BTW, the conspiracy theories on this being an inside job from either a X dev or a current one (or all) sound plausible. https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4ps6he/my_personal_statement_on_thedao_hack_inside_job/

The way I see it, if they hard fork, value is going to drop short term, and nothing is really lost. It was an experiment to see how the community will act.
If they do nothing, they get rich, and blame the evil 'hacker'.

Last edited:

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
Does the hard fork mean that anyone that has been mining will lose out on the coins they got?

No its just mean ethereum is not decentralized but ruled by kidz at ethereum reddit and their god Vitalik aka Putin... god save the $$ invested by sheep lured of promise of Bitcoin 3.0 and the hype of smart or better say stupid contracts :)

At the end ethereum is nothing that was promised, nothing it has with Bitcoin, the ethereum weak network is nothing more then fake decentralized server in rule by one entity and has nothing with " decentralized platform that runs smart contracts: applications that run exactly as programmed without any possibility of downtime, censorship, fraud or third party interference."

Anyone investing now should first read www.ethereum.org understand what was promised and what was given by development, realize what hard fork mean as a way to control contract and how it in direct opposite what was written and promised as concept of work!

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Would you guys pay $140 for a used XFX reference 290x?

I could have bought a 290 for $160 cdn, but decided not to. Due to Polaris of course.

The value of the video cards will plummet after Polaris release. The 390 costs way more than 290 just because its new, rather than being better.

There's minimal difference in mining between 290 and 290X.

Long term this is very beneficial to the eco system even if that means short term dips which is just another reason to buy profiting off the weak hands.

Not joking, but wouldn't possible collapse in confidence render whatever benefits null? It happened before, not just with cryptocurrency but regular currency and stock market companies.

In order for Ethereum to turn out better as you suggested, it has to have intrisinc value. Does it?

Last edited:

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
With a hard-fork the Ethereum network looses all of its promises. Because
according to "the steadfast iron will of immutable code." the hacker is the rightful owner of the coins. Now of course they found there is a mismatch of the iron will of the code and the will of a few persons, which are now pushing the hard-fork.
How can anyone ever rely again on the code-as-contract concept, when it is possible to invalidate the contract later?

Last edited:

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Somewhat disappointing preliminary results from the 480:
http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/8017/xfx-rx480-black-oc-1328m-8gb-mining-results

Maybe it will get better with drivers?

I think I'll stick with my 290s. Getting up to 30MHs (if possible) on the 480 is likely going to consume 200w...which isn't a ton better than the 290s anyway.

Maybe, if 30MH/s is possible. We'll have to see where the bottlenecks are with the 480. It's too bad that guy can't actually measure the card's power draw. Z170 and a 6700 is going to throw off the numbers somewhat.

SK10H

Jun 18, 2015
Anyone want to try to use the older pre 16.3 OCL driver on this and see if the 5MH penalty is gone on the RX480?

With hash rate like this, the card should sell near the MSRP very soon in Canada. I am going to wait until the custom card before I buy this, as the ref model may be a hard sell once the mining is done.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
I wanted to buy a few for mining. But they're 400$ in my country. No way I'm paying that. For comparison a gtx 1070 is 550$.