Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 201 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Your power costs have to be quite high to make a 80W difference worth it. Generally, the Nvidia cards are more of a lottery in what you can get because you can't adjust memory timings and entirely at the mercy of what memory vendor you get. You could end up with one that gets 19MH/s overclocked. And as said previously, 3GB performs a little worse. So if you bought your cards before the recent spike, the RX cards were also cheaper.

Higher hashes per card also means you spend less on other components like risers, and heck maybe a separate system altogether!

I was thinking the difference was something like 800W vs 500W at same hash. 630W vs 550W is nothing.

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
BTW why etherium still not forking?
The code is going through a thorough independent audit that won't be done until August. If that goes well, the fork will likely be scheduled in the following couple of months.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
The code is going through a thorough independent audit that won't be done until August. If that goes well, the fork will likely be scheduled in the following couple of months.

Oh, ok, because it's worries me, and with ASIC 50%+1 attack can happen. Just take a look at Monero, when they forking it, the hash power drop more than 50 %.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Oh, ok, because it's worries me, and with ASIC 50%+1 attack can happen. Just take a look at Monero, when they forking it, the hash power drop more than 50 %.

This won't happen considering Ethereum "ASICs" are nothing more than a bit souped up graphics cards in terms of performance and efficiency.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
This won't happen considering Ethereum "ASICs" are nothing more than a bit souped up graphics cards in terms of performance and efficiency.

But we don't know if bitmain only have that model because in February, there are unusual spike in hasrate.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
But we don't know if bitmain only have that model because in February, there are unusual spike in hasrate.

Listen to me.

Monero ASICs are a mind-boggling 100x faster than the best GPUs. They do 200KH/s and single handedly replace a small scale GPU farm. Vega, the best for Monero does a mere 2KH/s. It would require nearly 250 RX 580 cards to do what a single Monero ASIC can do.

Ethereum? Ethereum is bandwidth bound, and the early rumored "ASIC" from Bitmain used a whopping 576 DDR3 IC chips. We calculated that was only going to end up at best, 220MH/s. DDR3 IC chips themselves are going to cost $600. Getting a mere 180MH/s of performance in Ethereum requires 1.5TB/s of bandwidth. That's a very non-trivial amount.

That Ethereum product from Bitmain requires 800W to get 180MH/s. We talked earlier and said a GTX 1060 setup can do 130MH/s for 550W, and AMD Polaris setup can do the same for 630W. For <900W you can get 200MH/s using Polaris. What advantage in price and perf/watt is there for the Bitmain product?

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
Listen to me.

Monero ASICs are a mind-boggling 100x faster than the best GPUs. They do 200KH/s and single handedly replace a small scale GPU farm. Vega, the best for Monero does a mere 2KH/s. It would require nearly 250 RX 580 cards to do what a single Monero ASIC can do.

Ethereum? Ethereum is bandwidth bound, and the early rumored "ASIC" from Bitmain used a whopping 576 DDR3 IC chips. We calculated that was only going to end up at best, 220MH/s. DDR3 IC chips themselves are going to cost $600. Getting a mere 180MH/s of performance in Ethereum requires 1.5TB/s of bandwidth. That's a very non-trivial amount.

That Ethereum product from Bitmain requires 800W to get 180MH/s. We talked earlier and said a GTX 1060 setup can do 130MH/s for 550W, and AMD Polaris setup can do the same for 630W. For <900W you can get 200MH/s using Polaris. What advantage in price and perf/watt is there for the Bitmain product?

Yeah I know etherium is memory heavy, but it's still doesn't explain why in February there are sudden spike in hastate and difficulty.

And the asic was priced just $800, it's way less than Vega but have much higher hash rate.

And since it was cheap to make they probably deploy hundreds of it, and it's takes way less space.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
And the asic was priced just $800, it's way less than Vega but have much higher hash rate.

Bunch of skimming over details, like the fact that its not more efficient.

Currently, their product goes for over $2000 and talking late-June launch. The $800 pricing was also without the power supply, which added $300-400. So, they don't even have a price advantage over GPU setups before the price increased.

GPU miners coming online can easily explain the hash rate increase. People were selling and buying services to configure miners.

Also, difficulty started dropping about the moment I thought it would - around $380 per Eth mark which is the pain point for miners and when people need to shut down rigs. If you see difficulty and price graphs in late 2016, you'll notice difficulty did not drop until $330 current-price-and-difficulty adjusted.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
Bunch of skimming over details, like the fact that its not more efficient.

Currently, their product goes for over $2000 and talking late-June launch. The $800 pricing was also without the power supply, which added $300-400. So, they don't even have a price advantage over GPU setups before the price increased.

GPU miners coming online can easily explain the hash rate increase. People were selling and buying services to configure miners.

Also, difficulty started dropping about the moment I thought it would - around $380 per Eth mark which is the pain point for miners and when people need to shut down rigs. If you see difficulty and price graphs in late 2016, you'll notice difficulty did not drop until $330 current-price-and-difficulty adjusted.

But still it was rather cheap, and you also need psu for gpu mining.

So millions of gpu suddenly online in February ?

The difficulty drop was observed when monero, forking their coin, so suddenly almost everyone switch to it, causing sudden drop in hash rate across the network ( etherium and equihash).

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
But still it was rather cheap, and you also need psu for gpu mining.

So millions of gpu suddenly online in February ?

The difficulty drop was observed when monero, forking their coin, so suddenly almost everyone switch to it, causing sudden drop in hash rate across the network ( etherium and equihash).

Custom silicon normally will exceed....

Along with electricity rates in the end. Here is what everyone is up against in the U.S. at least....

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/ce...ro-for-bitcoins-epic-fail/Content?oid=9259625

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Which cryto is best for a single GTX 1060 6gb to mine right now? I still have my 1060 lying around doing nothing, and I want to know if it is still worth it to build a little mITX machine (possibly an i3-8100 or i5-8400) with it to mine, and can also use it as a portable gaming machine.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Power went out for a few seconds today. Turns out I need a bigger battery for my mining rig's UPS. lol. Might have to stop at Canadian Tire later. Downside is I think the UPS is 24v so need 2 batteries. I don't like the idea of a 3k rig shutting down hard. Suppose I could connect it to the server UPS but it's running near capacity already. I need to upgrade it eventually.

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
Which cryto is best for a single GTX 1060 6gb to mine right now? I still have my 1060 lying around doing nothing, and I want to know if it is still worth it to build a little mITX machine (possibly an i3-8100 or i5-8400) with it to mine, and can also use it as a portable gaming machine.
The answer varies from day to day, but you can always check what's best among the major mining coins at the moment at whattomine.com

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
The answer varies from day to day, but you can always check what's best among the major mining coins at the moment at whattomine.com
Thanks. It looks like Zcash and Zencash gives the highest profit now, though ethereum is not far behind. It looks like it'll take a year to get a return on just the mobo+cpu at current rate...

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
Thanks. It looks like Zcash and Zencash gives the highest profit now, though ethereum is not far behind. It looks like it'll take a year to get a return on just the mobo+cpu at current rate...
Yeah, it's not the most lucrative time to get into mining right now, especially at a small scale. Though a 1 year ROI is something most non-crypto business can only dream of.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
There's a guy I know that recently bought a motherboard capable of supporting 19 GPUs after I told him his computer doesn't support more than 4(due to sparse BIOS settings). This is another evidence why GPUs coming online can explain the difficulty rise back few months ago. Of course, people LOVE to believe in out of the world theories when they can't explain what's going on.

The lack of BIOS settings is another reason in favor of getting a DIY PC over prebuilt, even if they cost less. Long term, upgrades will make a DIY PC cost less than prebuilt too.

Though a 1 year ROI is something most non-crypto business can only dream of.

Totally understandable though. There's enough volatility to make people worry, and things like ASICs that may mean nothing else after that 1 year is over.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, it's not the most lucrative time to get into mining right now, especially at a small scale. Though a 1 year ROI is something most non-crypto business can only dream of.

The only way I could see myself getting a real "1 year ROI" on Ethereum mining is if I value my time at nothing.

Once I factored in electricity costs, I think that I was making about 50 cents a day mining on my GeForce 1060 when I finally threw in the towel. So, yeah... a new video card would pay for itself in about 18 months if I completely discount the time I spent setting up the miner and checking it every few days to make sure it was still working correctly.

VeryCharBroiled

Oct 6, 2008
The only way I could see myself getting a real "1 year ROI" on Ethereum mining is if I value my time at nothing.
[...]
So, yeah... a new video card would pay for itself in about 18 months if I completely discount the time I spent setting up the miner and checking it every few days to make sure it was still working correctly.

once properly set up with whatchdog timers (to reboot if needed due to crashes, low hash rate, whatever), failover pools, proper temp monitoring settings (ie watch for overheat and throttle etc) miners run themselves. i may check every week or two via VNC, which takes a couple seconds. not a big deal.

properly setting it up for all this can take a while but after that.. not much effort at all.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, after the new Nicehash 1.9.0.3 update, adding Heavy and whatnot, revenue is up a slight tad.

Noticed that my hash rate of DHashMoto is 32MH/s, with TWO cards, but a review for the MSI Armor 8GB MK2 RX 570 card (that I ordered) said that it can do 32MH/sec ALONE.

I know that my cards throttle (2-wide cards, 2-wide PCI-E spacing), but I wonder how much is clearance issues with the cards and fans, and how much is software?

Using NH Legacy, on an identical mobo + CPU, I had a pair of 260X 2GB cards, and one of them kept reporting 0% fan speed.

Now, with current drivers, in my other machine, with two XFX cards (with backplates), one RX 470 and one RX 570, one of them reports 0% fanspeed as well, and HWMonitor doesn't report a fan speed at all for one of them.

I know with AMD drivers, and multi-GPU, there used to be an issue with monitoring programs like GPU-Z being able to monitor multiple cards for voltages / fanspeeds, and that it seemed like it only read the primary card.

I guess, the card that is showing 0% fanspeed, is also bumping up against my Wattman temp limits (83C, default is 90C, and I used to smell things "cooking"), so I don't know if the fans of the top card are touching the backplace of the bottom card, and not spinning at all, or if this is purely a software or reporting glitch.

Anyways, I have some adjusted plans to space out the cards more, in some other rigs, so that they will be more profitable.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
A question about PoS.
So apparently there will be staking pools. However, would anybody really feel safe with staking all their eth in a pool that could get hacked, have catastrophic bugs, could steal your coins, etc?
I'd rather be responsible for my own coins.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
A question about PoS.
So apparently there will be staking pools. However, would anybody really feel safe with staking all their eth in a pool that could get hacked, have catastrophic bugs, could steal your coins, etc?
I'd rather be responsible for my own coins.

AFAIK at the start you need something like >1000 ETH anyway for staking. Well maybe you have that much but then I wonder why you aren't retired sitting at the beach. ;) This sum will go down over time. But I agree with you. No I won't be staking before the kinks are out.

Also some time back I read there could be problems (= losing your stake) if you loose network or power at the wrong moment. So for sure only do this with a tested back-up power supply and a hosted solutions or failover to 4G or something.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It looks like FFG is dead and staking requirements are going to come down. The EF is signaling a direct jump to Casper + sharding in 2019. Stakes will be incremented in lots of 32 ETH. You will need to provide a modest amount of computer power along with the stake to reap blockchain rewards. Allegedly, a "small" stake of 32 ETH would require nothing more than a laptop. Larger stakes will require more computing power.

It's unclear at this time what computing resources will be more wanted - "general purpose" CPU computing power or raw hashing power from GPUs/FPGAs/ASICs.

Also, anyone watching those ETH prices? Yeouch.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Also, anyone watching those ETH prices? Yeouch.

There's a lot of bearish sentiment due to increased pressure from other cryptos. At least there's the Constantinopole hard fork coming in October to address some issues. It should lower transaction costs(gas) and increase efficiency. That should turn the tide and make it go back up for at least a while.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Not so sure it's the other cryptos putting pressure on ETH. The entire market is bleeding red. Some of the projects that were supposed to knock ETH off its pedestal, such as NEO, are losing even more value by the day. The ETH killers are all getting killed. And BTC is going down too.

Fact is that money is leaving the cryptosphere without any funds coming in as replacement.

The carnage will continue until the USDT time bomb is defused.