Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 139 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
Are there any GPUs out there now, or maybe previous generation that ARENT good for eth mining that might be a more reasonable price?

I understand the 470/570/580 are the sweet spot for mining. I have an r7850 that just died last night and I'm not looking to pay these crazy prices. I'm waffling between picking up something that miners don't want, or waiting for the miners to dump their old hardware and pick it up used.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Are there any GPUs out there now, or maybe previous generation that ARENT good for eth mining that might be a more reasonable price?

I understand the 470/570/580 are the sweet spot for mining. I have an r7850 that just died last night and I'm not looking to pay these crazy prices. I'm waffling between picking up something that miners don't want, or waiting for the miners to dump their old hardware and pick it up used.

If buying new the Geforce 1080 is probably your best bet. 1080's aren't the best mining cards for some crypto algorithms due to the type of memory used (GDDR5X vs GDDR5). Therefore they don't cost much more than the inflated prices of the 1070's (arguably the best mining card at MSRP).

Almost all modern cards are pretty good at mining so your options are limited.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
If buying new the Geforce 1080 is probably your best bet. 1080's aren't the best mining cards for some crypto algorithms due to the type of memory used (GDDR5X vs GDDR5). Therefore they don't cost much more than the inflated prices of the 1070's (arguably the best mining card at MSRP).

Almost all modern cards are pretty good at mining so your options are limited.

I wish the 1070 BIOS could be edited. I want to keep the 1070 in my windows PC since it runs cooler and move a 480 down to my rig in the basement. But I can't get the stupid drivers to work right in linux mint. I'm sure they could be made faster with different memory timings like can be done on the AMD cards. Oh well, I can live with the 480's in my desktop for now.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So this is only somewhat mining related, but it is going to affect all of us who are into ETH for the long haul:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/6jx49j/vitalik_once_casper_comes_out_052_annual_seems/

Going from 12% inflation under PoW to 0-2% inflation under PoS is going to cause a major supply squeeze on two fronts. I knew PoS could be big for HODLers, but not THAT big.

Also this is real-life inflation, not manipulated-by-world-banks-and-governments inflation where fiat currency gets printed by the bushel and yet magically does not crash in value overnight. All the manipulation banks/gubments do to keep their currencies stable will show up in ETH in the form of rapidly increasing prices vs. fiat (which is probably one of the reasons why ETH and BTC are so high today). Other interesting observations I've seen mentioned in conversations related to Buterin's Twitter remarks:

-Casper may result in annual earnings of 7% or higher. Some seem to think staking could go as high as 30%.
-Casper's rate of inflation would be lower than that of even Bitcoin.
-Deflation might be possible through burning of transaction fees. Rate of deflation would be related to fee amounts, I guess.

Anyway this is why I got into ETH in the first place, from an investment angle. The tech is awesome, no doubt. But stuff like PoS made it obvious that ETH tokens would be absurdly expensive shortly after a conversion to PoS. Metropolis will make the transition a gradual one, giving miners (like me) some time to make the change and (hopefully) avoid another hard fork rebellion ala ETC. Not that ETC has actually hurt ETH much.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
When looking back at past performance (not always an indicator of future performance) the general consensus is to buy instead of mine.

It's not too bad for me right now. I'm making about $15 a day with two 1080 Ti cards and one 1080 card. It's lower than I expected, but not too bad. It's better that I've only really paid for 1 of those cards -- one 1080 Ti is my main desktop and my 1080 is my old card. However, I am buying two other cards to add, and at this point, I'm pretty adamant against adding any more unless I get a super, mega deal. I've also got a 1060, which I already own, that can be tossed into the mix.

It can be kind of rough during summer /w the extra heat :) I threw my main mining rig in the basement to address that issue. Now I only have 2 video cards heating up my main office.

It's probably because I have my cards split between multiple PCs in different rooms, but it's not too bad. I also only have one card in each machine right now, but I'm probably going to get two cards in each machine.

So this is only somewhat mining related, but it is going to affect all of us who are into ETH for the long haul:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/6jx49j/vitalik_once_casper_comes_out_052_annual_seems/

Is there a good resource to learn about some of the underlying terms and items in there? I mean... the talk of things like Metropolis and such, and I have no idea what they are. From a quick search, it looks like a fork of Ethereum, but what's the point?

Bigbadwu

Oct 9, 2016
anyone else running into this error 'ethash_cuda_miner::search' at line 365 : an illegal instruction was encountered' with the pascal optimized ethminer?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Is there a good resource to learn about some of the underlying terms and items in there? I mean... the talk of things like Metropolis and such, and I have no idea what they are. From a quick search, it looks like a fork of Ethereum, but what's the point?

Metropolis is more than just a fork of the Ethereum project. The project is meant to be in at least four developmental stages. The first one was Frontier, followed by Homestead (the current release), then Metropolis, and finally Serenity (using the Casper PoS algorithm). Each represents a major developmental milestone for Ethereum, adding newer/better features to the blockchain.

For example, here's a rundown of what you can expect in 2017 from Metropolis:

https://www.ethnews.com/ethereums-road-map-for-2017

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
How are you guys with 1080Ti's in your main rig finding the experience? With my previous dual 390 system, I didn't really notice any real effect on system usability while mining other than gaming. Using two 1080Ti's I've noticed a lot of lag, especially while trying to watch videos.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
How are you guys with 1080Ti's in your main rig finding the experience? With my previous dual 390 system, I didn't really notice any real effect on system usability while mining other than gaming. Using two 1080Ti's I've noticed a lot of lag, especially while trying to watch videos.
I've got a 1080 in my primary rig, secondary rig in the basement has 1080ti's. Performance on desktop is pretty garbage on either one if the primary display driver is mining, but I can muddle through if I need to. If need be, I just flick off the miner for the primary card though, do what I need to, then turn it back on. I'll do that if i'm doing something like looking through event viewer, watching any kind of video, or some kind of performance-heavy browsing or whatever.

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002

It depends of the algorithm used for mining and the video card vendor. Mining ethash on NVIDIA cards render them unusable, but there is no user experience degradation on the desktop side when mining ethash on AMD.cards. Mining equihash seems to have no impact (beside gaming) on NVIDIA cards. I haven't tried it equihash on AMD yet.

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002
My last abomination.

J9TS4uW.jpg

yugo23

Jul 4, 2010
I've been mining for more than 5 years, but recently ran into very strange problem. I assembled four new rigs with MSI 470 cards and Corsair RM1000x PSUs. They worked flawlessly for two months, and then one day one rig went offline. Fans didn't spin, it was fully off. I checked all the cables, there were no signs of burned cables, so I tried to turn it on again. As soon as I switched PSU on it exploded. There were small parts coming out of it once turned upside town.
One of the cards in rig stopped working, I removed it, and rig continued to work fine with new PSU.

I thought it was just a coincidence, faulty PSU or something, but exactly the same happened today on another rig. So, I guess it's combination of dead GPU, and Corsair's lack of PSU protection that caused all this mess.

I will switch all PSUs on these rigs to another brand, but am curious if anyone experienced something similar?

Sully01

Apr 24, 2017
Unless you already own the hardware, we're way past the time when you should invest in new hardware.
I hear you. The only remote way im at all familiar with any of this is just because I follow stocks. Seeing whats been happening in the markets with all of this peaked my interest to learn a little more about it. Not that I would invest anything in it at this point. However I am curious to see if a crash is coming. It's been playing hard and fast for a long time far more than the rest of the market and the push back is indeed on its way.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Can't believe this stuff is still going on. I mined about $200 worth of Ethereum two winters ago over the course of about a month and a half with my R9 290 (justifying it as lowering my heating bill :rolleyes: ). Of course it would have been worth $6,000 today. Now that it's hot again I switched on my 1070 with ethminer. Getting about 27 MH/s and about 5 bucks a day, but without all the excess heat compared to the old 290. Regardless, it's barely worth it and I'm thinking the smarter move might be to sell the card and get an effectively reduced price 1080 out of it.

Then again, every other time I've quit mining I kick myself down the road. Maybe this time I'll keep it up no matter how unprofitable it seems (i.e. if it crashes) and just hold the coins for a few years.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I've been mining for more than 5 years, but recently ran into very strange problem. I assembled four new rigs with MSI 470 cards and Corsair RM1000x PSUs. They worked flawlessly for two months, and then one day one rig went offline. Fans didn't spin, it was fully off. I checked all the cables, there were no signs of burned cables, so I tried to turn it on again. As soon as I switched PSU on it exploded. There were small parts coming out of it once turned upside town.
One of the cards in rig stopped working, I removed it, and rig continued to work fine with new PSU.

I thought it was just a coincidence, faulty PSU or something, but exactly the same happened today on another rig. So, I guess it's combination of dead GPU, and Corsair's lack of PSU protection that caused all this mess.

I will switch all PSUs on these rigs to another brand, but am curious if anyone experienced something similar?
Yikes, nothing even remotely similar to that, but my real mining rig right now is using 2x 850 seasonic prime platinum's, which seem mostly happy (had some issues with overload on one early on, i think it's fixed though).

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010

nothing like that. Although ive had no issues with Corsair HX and AX (never used an RM) in the past, I went with all EVGA G2 Superflower based units for my mining rigs based on recommendations of others and I haven't been disappointed.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005

This is one area Radeon's excel at over Geforce cards. My HTPC has a 1050 Ti and it's pretty laggy however, I improved the experience a little by setting an intensity level of 3 (default is 8) using Claymore miner.

Netflix, Prime Video, 1080P Blu-ray rips seem to playback without issue.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005

My Corsair RM1000x didn't blow up but recently became unstable when pushing more than a few hundred watts through it. I've had the best luck with EVGA G2/P2 power supplies (SuperFlower). I have 10+ running 24/7 without any issues over the past 12 - 18 months.

I also bought a EVGA G3 1000W recently but can't recommend them as its too early. So far so good though. To be honest the G2's appear to be higher quality but they're considerably larger than the G3's.