Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I use the Rosewill power meters from NewEgg as they often go on sale for cheap. Really though if you have a larger number of cards the temperature can have a large impact on energy consumption. Run them as cool as you can to save money.

Setting up some ventilation and exhaust in the space and will monitor the temps closely. Thanks for the advice!

lienad216

Sep 10, 2016
Are there power meters that can do 220V? The kill-a-watts I've seen are all rated for max 125V despite being "international" versions. Preferably one that comes in the American plug type.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Sounds promising, but I would like some type of logging functionality - guess nothing exists on the market?
@Madpacket does the Rosewill have logging?

The Wemo Insight Switched seemed good but its reports are wildly inaccurate.

Don't really have time to tinker with DIY Raspberry Pi type solutions... (although, just remembered I DO have a couple of RPi's sitting unused)

I'm setting up at least 10 rigs with friends, so it would be really helpful to know roughly how much electricity each rig is consuming.
If you haven't bought already, buy PSUs with power monitoring. My Corsair AX1200i can log power use I believe.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Sounds promising, but I would like some type of logging functionality - guess nothing exists on the market?
@Madpacket does the Rosewill have logging?

The Wemo Insight Switched seemed good but its reports are wildly inaccurate.

Don't really have time to tinker with DIY Raspberry Pi type solutions... (although, just remembered I DO have a couple of RPi's sitting unused)

I'm setting up at least 10 rigs with friends, so it would be really helpful to know roughly how much electricity each rig is consuming.

I believe the Rosewill keeps a total power in KWH consumed. So as long as your power doesn't go out you should be able to measure it.

Read up more here.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rosewill-RHSP...etailBullets_secondary_view_div_1489706031245

Reactions: suklee

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
If you haven't bought already, buy PSUs with power monitoring. My Corsair AX1200i can log power use I believe.

Yes some of the I series corsairs have software monitoring. I'm not sure how accurate it is as I've never tested. NewEgg currently has some refurbished 1KW Platinum Corsairs HXi series on sale. They come with a year warranty and a 30 day no hassle return. I've only bought one but it's been good so far. Smelt new when opened and was well packaged, no scratches or dust in the fan blades. These should be able to handle 6 480's properly tuned and still give you close to 90% efficiency.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Setting up some ventilation and exhaust in the space and will monitor the temps closely. Thanks for the advice!

Good luck. I save around 60 - 75W per milk crate when properly cooled. 390's a little more. It adds up really fast.

Reactions: suklee

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I wasn't even aware of this, I've been using RM1000I's and Corsair Link has the same feature. Giving it a try with 5 second intervals, monitoring power in and power out.

PUQqsl8.jpg

For the new rigs am considering going from 1000W > 1200W PSUs to have more headroom for dual mining.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
ZEC skyrocketed seemingly overnight to $80. It has pulled back a little but still very high at ~$77.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It is possible that movement in other competing cryptocurrencies like DASH, ETH, ZEC, and XMR has caused a BTC selloff by speculators. Not sure if the hard fork has prompted selling.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
I've had a 470 (Sapphire Nitro) and Sapphire reference 480 die in the past two weeks. I'm not pushing these cards hard at all. Anyone having bad luck as well?

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
i am investigating possible death of MSI reference 480 purchased on launch day.....in a 6 card system.... system blue screens on boot with this MSI card no matter which riser slot i use. It powers up and the fan spins though....need to do more testing....been underclocked and undervolted its whole life.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Both the Sapphire cards essentially just go to black screens and the system locks up. Pull the card and it works fine. System with the offending card only, black screens. Different system with offending card, black screen. I'm going to say these things are dead. I hate the RMA process but looks like it's time to use it.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I've had PowerColor Red Devil die on me. That's the only 480 failure I've encountered so far. It was promptly replaced by Powercolor. Unexpectedly good service from them.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Both the Sapphire cards essentially just go to black screens and the system locks up. Pull the card and it works fine. System with the offending card only, black screens. Different system with offending card, black screen. I'm going to say these things are dead. I hate the RMA process but looks like it's time to use it.
fan still spin up on boot or nothing?

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
fan still spin up on boot or nothing?

Fans still spin up, which is weird. Just no output and windows won't actually boot, I can't remote into the box, etc. They prevent multi-gpu systems from booting, same if they are the only cards in the machine.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Modded BIOSes?

I had a modded 290 just give black screens, no POST etc after working for a while. Flipped back to the stock BIOS and it seemed to work. I then reflashed with the same modded BIOS and it's working fine again...not sure why that is. Only thing changed was the miner version I was using.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I just had a Sapphire 470 nitro+ 8gb die on me. It was mining for about 4 months but heavily under volted and under clocked. It would still not as the non primary card but windows would no longer recognize it as a display adapter. Just submitted an rma about a week ago, still waiting to hear back. . .

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Modded BIOSes?

I had a modded 290 just give black screens, no POST etc after working for a while. Flipped back to the stock BIOS and it seemed to work. I then reflashed with the same modded BIOS and it's working fine again...not sure why that is. Only thing changed was the miner version I was using.

No, factory bioses. I was using ~ 1060 core, 950mv, 2200 mem. Had the fan profiles set to where they never got warmer than 75C.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I had a DoA Powercolor early on but no issues to report on any other cards. Some of my Sapphire RX 480s are approaching their 1Y anniversary soon... they all get fed by very high quality eVGA G2 power supplies, however. I undervolt them all and run ETH only, no dual mining.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
I had a DoA Powercolor early on but no issues to report on any other cards. Some of my Sapphire RX 480s are approaching their 1Y anniversary soon... they all get fed by very high quality eVGA G2 power supplies, however. I undervolt them all and run ETH only, no dual mining.

I'm running EVGA G2 power supplies, undervolt, underclock and only mine ETH. I'm really annoyed. I still have 7000 series cards that work great after years of mining BTC and then ETH.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I'm running EVGA G2 power supplies, undervolt, underclock and only mine ETH. I'm really annoyed. I still have 7000 series cards that work great after years of mining BTC and then ETH.

That sucks :(