Eternal Darkness spiritual successor being crowdfunded

Madia

May 2, 2006
The spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is launching a crowdfunding campaign in two days for 1.5 million. The game is called Shadow of the Eternals and you can see a teaser trailer here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05...sor-shadow-of-the-eternals-headed-to-wii-u-pc

I remember back in the day picking up a Gamecube for $99 mostly to play their survival horror exclusives. Resident Evil remake, RE: 0, RE: 4 and Eternal Darkness were all excellent games and I wondered why Eternal Darkness never became a franchise.

What's interesting is that Shadow of the Eternals will be told via 12 episodes. For those who never played Eternal Darkness, it's a survival horror game with a Cthulhu type mythos in which you play as several different characters (around a dozen) in different time periods from 26 BC to the present day. Probably the most remembered aspect of the game was the sanity effects that would occur as your character experienced horrors and would begin slowly loosing grasp on reality. Various effects would occur such as the camera being tilted, blood dripping down walls, disturbing sounds and fourth wall breaking effects like a sudden black screen with a green Video 1 in the top left corner.

I'm assuming that with a 12 episode release schedule each release with let you control a new character from a different time period with the first and last episodes focusing on the protagonist. I don't mind episodic games but 12 seems like a large number of episodes for one game. Most episodic games seem to stick to about one episode a month but I don't like the idea of taking an entire year to fully release a game. Hopefully they'll compress the number of episodes or just release the entire game at once.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This one's a "maybe buy after it's been released and reviewed" for me.

Dennis Dyack hasn't had a very good track record lately -- Too Human wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. People say the X-Men game was terrible.

Plus there was the shenanigans with stealing engine code from Epic, where the courts forced them to recall and destroy the unsold copies of Too Human and X-Men.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Eternal Darkness was a fucking outstanding game... It was so good my first exposure to it was physically watching my roommate play it. One of the best told and most interesting stories I ever got to experience, videogame or otherwise.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Eternal Darkness is one of the most incredible games I've ever played, without a doubt. Anyone who hasn't played it yet, should really, really look into doing so.

That said, while it's nice to see a potential sequel to Eternal Darkness - especially one that's being made for PC - seeing Dennis Dyack's name attached to it doesn't evoke a good impression from me.

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
Eternal Darkness is the only game that gave my Game Cube the Blue Screen of Death. I was so pissed and alarmed that I forgot I was playing on a Game Cube, which doesn't have a Blue Screen of Death. That game really liked to mess with the player's mind once your character had lost all his Sanity points.

Madia

May 2, 2006
I watched the gameplay and the level immediately reminded me of Anthony's level from Eternal Darkness even though I haven't played it in over a decade. They mentioned in the commentary that they're licensing the crytek engine so I'm guessing that it what a large chunk of the money raised is going to. The graphics look alright but hopefully they'll be a lot better if/when the game comes out. Here's the official website for those interested:

http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Eternal Darkness is probably in my top 10 of games I've ever played. The Kickstarter page I just looked over doesn't do anything for me though :/

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Episodic gaming is still a thing? No thank you.

In a few years when everything is released, maybe I'll be interested.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Eternal Darkness was a fucking outstanding game... It was so good my first exposure to it was physically watching my roommate play it. One of the best told and most interesting stories I ever got to experience, videogame or otherwise.

Nailed it. Eternal Darkness was so fucking awesome. So glad Noah introduced me.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

It was clear they weren't going to reach their goal.

As much would love this game to be made, the they handled the Kickstarter very poorly.

They fucked up. They started doing a crowd-funding campaign on their own website (not Kickstarter.com) and received a big surge of donations from dedicated fans, but then immediately realized that most people would be scared away by the "fake Kickstarter" and there wouldn't be enough publicity.

So then they created a real Kickstarter page on Kickstarter.com, but at that point the donations would now be split up between two different websites and there was no way they'd have enough momentum to actually reach their goal. Now they're losing the money from BOTH websites because of it, and getting nothing in the end.

I feel kind of bad for them, but at the same time, they really fucked it up.