ESXi or Docker

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I have never rolled a level1 hypervisor before and I also understand that Docker is newest and greatest .. I suppose I could confine my self to linux and rock docker containers from that ... on the other hand..

Anyone have experience with both? What is the least hazzle to get started and cost of maintenance (gonna run some app servers, postgresql, git/hg on a dual 2670v1's)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Docker really isn't a level 1 hypervisor. Instead, it's a platform for running Linux containers.

Running Linux in a Docker container is a VERY different experience than running something like a VMWare or Hyper-V VM with a full blown OS in it. The good news is that Docker containers are much less resource intensive than a full OS in terms of memory and disk usage, but the downside to that they really aren't designed to be permanent. Instead of deploying software updates and patches to a VM, you're basically building the entire container (OS/middleware/code) from scratch using a Dockerfile when you do updates. Because of this, stuff like databases usually store data in mounted storage outside of the container.

While it's more of a pain to set up a containerized infrastructure, it's awesome once it's configured. Once you have a working Dockerfile and some network/storage configuration .yaml files, it only takes minimal changes to make containers that work for development, testing, and production. Businesses love this stuff, since you can guarantee that all of your environments are built in the same way every time. The patching process is mostly eliminated as well... just spin up a new container with the latest OS or middleware version in it.

The nice thing is that this isn't an either/or decision, either. You can spin up an ESXi server, create some larger Linux VM's on it, and then try running your Docker containers on those. Hate it? Nuke the Docker VM's and make dedicated Linux VM's in its place. I've worked with places that built an entire development Kubernetes (think deployment automation for Docker) cluster using an single ESXi box.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
They are not mutually exclusive, you can run containers in a VM. In fact, its a match made in heaven :)

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Great. Great! So its not wasted time getting ESXi up and running first, a few dedicated VMs and then down the line when I want to streamline get into docker. Nice. Thanks!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm cheap: I have Linux as "level 1" and containers and/or VMs on top of it.

But how are you running your VM's on Linux? You're not running a "level 1" hypervisor if you're using VirtualBox or VMWare Player/Workstation. That's level 2, since you have an extra virtualization layer running on top of your OS layer.

Of course, those terms are kinda academic in nature, and aren't really used much in practice. ESXi is normally refered to as a "bare metal" hypervisor vs. virtualization add-on software like VirtualBox.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You know that ESXi is free, right? You don't have to pay for it unless you want the advanced features like DRS or VMotion.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
Free? Linux is free too. Every Windows user could switch to Linux right now. No pay.
Why don't they? Is there a non-monetary cost in learning, cost in migration?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I tried both ESXi and Proxmox (basically a nice interface for KVM) when I set up my server earlier this year. They accomplish the same thing but I stuck with KVM for a few reasons: free and open source, native OS and VM install on ZFS mirrored drives (server came with two small SSDs), and native ZFS file server without running it in a VM. I thought I'd play around with it, but it's basically been an expensive pfsense router and file server. Very stable though ... it's been up since February with no restarts.

Proxmox will run containers natively too I believe

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
You know that ESXi is free, right? You don't have to pay for it unless you want the advanced features like DRS or VMotion.

Sure, but it has a lot of enterprise baggage and limited hardware support. They've tightened that up more over the years so its becoming pretty hostile for whitebox freeloaders like myself.

I ended up paying for unraid, which is basically slackware, kvm and docker glued together with a simple web inferface. Even though it costs $60 it was a way better deal than the free ESXi it replaced.