Essential Skyrim Mods?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Got my new version of Skyrim running at a relatively stable clip ;) I've had the chance to take some new screenies so:

71531-1378245155.jpg

71531-1378246407.jpg

71531-1378246302.jpg

71531-1378245417.jpg

71531-1378245333.jpg

71531-1378245265.jpg

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
What's everyone using for lighting? I have Climates of Tamriel and Enhanced Lights and FX... but I'm not overly impressed with it and wouldn't mind trying something else. I need the dark dungeons, I love the mods that remove the phony ambient light but then amplify real light sources like fires and torches...etc.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
climates of tamriel is the best imo, the ENB you use will change things drastically. You can tweak the color palette to taste with most any ENB though iirc.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
What's everyone using for lighting? I have Climates of Tamriel and Enhanced Lights and FX... but I'm not overly impressed with it and wouldn't mind trying something else. I need the dark dungeons, I love the mods that remove the phony ambient light but then amplify real light sources like fires and torches...etc.

I really like RCRN (with the settings I listed earlier).

I think a lot of the ENB's look really cool, but I just can't run any of them without stuttering....and I've tried over 20 of them. If I turn off AO, they run fine.....but then it looks like crap, so what's the point. I tried some I really liked visually, though (just look at SLU's pics...some of them look pretty amazing.)

Out of all the remaining lighting mods I tried, RCRN was the most flexible and got me the closest to what I like.....all while still running pretty much like the vanilla game. The configurator is great and really lets you tweak things to your preference.

I like very crisp, sharp rendering with no DoF effects, and I also don't like crushed blacks. A few screens of my RCRN setup:

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s6.jpg

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Every time they start making a new game Bethesda should hire the most popular modders. They could probably help a LOT.

Maligx

Aug 25, 2008

I'm using RealVision ENB and it looks great when using the recommended mods by the author. It has 3 different options for lighting including ELFX which I'm using, the one you said wasn't dark, IS dark. Light sources are brighter but there is almost no ambient light when there shouldn't be. I can't see at all if there is no light near by. This video shows the differences between the options.

Anyway here is my lara companion, testing out uh light sources.

3057737-1378267412.png

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
I'm using RealVision ENB and it looks great when using the recommended mods by the author. It has 3 different options for lighting including ELFX which I'm using, the one you said wasn't dark, IS dark. Light sources are brighter but there is almost no ambient light when there shouldn't be. I can't see at all if there is no light near by. This video shows the differences between the options.

Anyway here is my lara companion, testing out uh light sources.

3057737-1378267412.png

Yep, same setup I use, COT + ELFX + Realvision :) You *need* torches (or a handy travel lantern :p)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My biggest problem with all iterations of Elder Scrolls and Fallout is that by the time the community has a few nice, functional, good looking lighting and texture mods out there, I've already grown tired and stopped playing.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
the problem with all the ENBs is the interiors are either too bright or too dark, real pain in the butt. They're great for screenshots, but suck for gameplay.

Stringjam, for RCRN is there a way to brighten interiors/indoors? i find outdoors and exteriors are great, but once u step indoors its just too dark.:p

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Stringjam, for RCRN is there a way to brighten interiors/indoors? i find outdoors and exteriors are great, but once u step indoors its just too dark.:p

Have you tried adjusting the Gamma in the "Advanced" settings?

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
the problem with all the ENBs is the interiors are either too bright or too dark, real pain in the butt. They're great for screenshots, but suck for gameplay.

Shift + Enter opens in-game adjustment of ENB settings :). Adjust the Ambient and Point Light intensity levels for Interiorday and Interiornight.

Keep in mind you're generally limited by any other mod that affects lighting (so in my case ELFX makes interiors realistically dark, so that's my base).

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Shift + Enter opens in-game adjustment of ENB settings :). Adjust the Ambient and Point Light intensity levels for Interiorday and Interiornight.

Keep in mind you're generally limited by any other mod that affects lighting (so in my case ELFX makes interiors realistically dark, so that's my base).

Ok thanks! i have climates of tamriel installed, but i dont think that effects interiors, yea?