Essential Overclocking Utilities

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: dwcal
Yeah, that's important. Any decent MB should have a PCI bus lock, but if not, OCing your PCI bus over ~38Mhz has a big risk of HD corruption. I haven't had any corruption from doing hard shutdowns after a system freeze, but there's a small risk of corruption there too.

I have a question about this, I've never been clear about this facet of overclocking.

I have a hdd on my SATA 1 port of my DFI nf4 board. I've noticed that as I increase the htt of my new opty, it takes longer during boot to detect the hdd, CD drive, etc. Could this be a symptom of other components being overclocked that do not need to be? Am I putting undue strain on my other components?

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: paulxcook
Originally posted by: dwcal
Yeah, that's important. Any decent MB should have a PCI bus lock, but if not, OCing your PCI bus over ~38Mhz has a big risk of HD corruption. I haven't had any corruption from doing hard shutdowns after a system freeze, but there's a small risk of corruption there too.

I have a question about this, I've never been clear about this facet of overclocking.

I have a hdd on my SATA 1 port of my DFI nf4 board. I've noticed that as I increase the htt of my new opty, it takes longer during boot to detect the hdd, CD drive, etc. Could this be a symptom of other components being overclocked that do not need to be? Am I putting undue strain on my other components?

It is possible that the data is getting corrupted due to the high htt and it is taking longer for your HD to receive the correct info.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
wish i saw this before i was searching for tools... found them already. Great Sticky

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Maxspeed996
Is the tool for the Gigabyte board still available? Link's not working so thought I'd ask.

Link Fixed thanks for the heads up. :) (Gigabyte's site got hacked about a month ago and I guess that was their temp. url).

And, yes all Gigabyte boards still ship with EasyTune 4.

smc1

Feb 8, 2006
It seems as though the Motherboard monitor 5 has a last revesion of 6/18/04. I have a Lanparty UT nf4 SLI-D and the site seems to support "Lanparty Nforce II Ultra" and family. Does this version work with my board. I downloaded it and the Tray temps were all hosed up. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Scott

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I've been looking around for new and better stress-test programs.

To this effort, I noticed that the list beginning this thread included Passmark's BurnInTest, now in revision 5.1.

I had some troubles with S&M, but it continues to be useful. At one time, I asked its author, "Serj" (possibly short for "Serjei?"), about an error in the CPU integer test. His response only suggested that some of these programs may be a little "loosey-goosey" at 100% load with hyperthreaded Intel CPUs, since they are also designed to work with AMD dual-core processors. And I would sometimes get conflicting, or inconsistent results on a second or third pass. But there are additional possible reasons for this -- bear with me for a moment.

I downloaded (or purchased) the Passmark program, another program by 7Byte called Hot CPU Tester Pro, ScienceMark, and a few others.

Both Passmark BurninTest and Hot CPU Tester Pro seemed to provide the sort of information that you would want, while more specialized programs designed originally for another purpose (Prime95 or SuperPI) -- did not.

The 7Byte program ran well, until one day I noticed two things: a pop-up from my SYstem Mechanic 6 "Total-Care" maintenance program; and the unexplained disappearance -- while running -- of the 7Byte program. This also was not too different from the issue that running S&M with SpeedFan can cause S&M to register incorrect voltage readings and terminate early.

The Passmark program seems to work well in this software environment with INtel processors (I can't verify anything about AMD at the moment.) Otherwise, some temporary cleaning up -- disabling sys-tray programs, "alerter" programs etc. -- might be in order to get proper results from some of the other choices.

The main question: "Do you believe that the "100% load" readings provided by Passmark or 7Byte Hot CPU Tester or S&M -- are correct?" How well do the programs negotiate excessive load settings?

My insights may be ill-tutored or naive, but my personal observations about using these programs is not delusional.

The problem arises when some two or more software programs conflict, the CPU or memory-test program registers and error, and it isn't a "true" error. So you could be sure your system is stable with a no-error bill-of-health, but you could also be misled due to the software conflicts.

Tetedeiench3

Sep 17, 2006
I hope this won't be considered as SPAM :/

I'm OCCT creator, and i want people to know that a new version is out, finally.

New name is "OCCT Perestroika". Perestroika because it is a revolution :
-Completely new graphic design
-Supports up to 16 Cores - Yes, 4 Kentsfield on one single mobo :)
-3 modes : CPU, CPU&RAM, and RAM ( the RAM stresses both Chipset and RAM, but isn't worth memtest !)
-Programmable tests with graphs : now you can launch a custom, 12h11min test of your dreams and get your graphs !
-Much better at detecting CPU errors
-Complete and full multi-language support - On the fly

And some other stuff i forgot.

At the time i'm writing this message, we are up to B262, and getting really close to RC1. It's a matter of days.

You can find it on my website : http://www.ocbase.com/OpenBeta/ . Just grab the newest one !

The website isn't complete yet, and it's going to be completly redone too.

I'm waiting for your comments, and if you want to participate by translating OCCT to another language, just drop an email/PM :)

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=occtscreenxw8.gif

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Tetedeiench3
I hope this won't be considered as SPAM :/

I'm OCCT creator, and i want people to know that a new version is out, finally.

New name is "OCCT Perestroika". Perestroika because it is a revolution :
-Completely new graphic design
-Supports up to 16 Cores - Yes, 4 Kentsfield on one single mobo :)
-3 modes : CPU, CPU&RAM, and RAM ( the RAM stresses both Chipset and RAM, but isn't worth memtest !)
-Programmable tests with graphs : now you can launch a custom, 12h11min test of your dreams and get your graphs !
-Much better at detecting CPU errors
-Complete and full multi-language support - On the fly

And some other stuff i forgot.

At the time i'm writing this message, we are up to B262, and getting really close to RC1. It's a matter of days.

You can find it on my website : http://www.ocbase.com/OpenBeta/ . Just grab the newest one !

The website isn't complete yet, and it's going to be completly redone too.

I'm waiting for your comments, and if you want to participate by translating OCCT to another language, just drop an email/PM :)

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=occtscreenxw8.gif

No that isn't spam at all, and thank you very much for the update, I am sure a lot of people (incudling me) want to try it out. Thanks. :)

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: snowdogg187
Great thread, bringing it back up :)

Thanks, forgot about this. :)

I will update the links, and if anyone knows of any more utilities let me know, I'll add them.

Xvys

Aug 25, 2006
Does anyone know of a program which shows memory voltage? I have a Asus P5B and E6300. Asus Suite monitoring program just says Auto (because that's what I selected in my bios), but what is the actual voltage? My system runs stable and cool at 470FSB, but I hope the mb isn't highly increasing the ram voltage, like it does with the vCore on Auto, (like 1.65v on auto, I manually set it to 1.32v) As of yet I haven't found a program which works for the C2D which displays vDimm?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Gee! Last time I posted on this thread was May, '06, still showing on this page of the thread.

Someone mentioned nVidia "nTune" for nForce chipsets. nTune either came with my Striker board or the 8800 GTS -- I can't be sure now, but it provides simple diagnostic stress-tests for everything -- most certainly, CPU and memory.

A friend in another city reported trying it with his DFI motherboard, concluding that its tests were "woosey," and that it reported instabilities when other stress-testers kept on ticking to take a licking.

I'm using it for a preliminary survey of stable settings -- E6600, Striker board w 680i chipset, Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 memory.

Personally, I'd think that a stress-test program bundled and promoted by the chipset manufacturer -- and possibly developed by that manufacturer -- would give reliable results, even if the results are not verbose and report only " x iterations of CPU test passed. Y iterations of memory test passed."