Escape From Tarkov

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I thought we had a thread for this but I guess it's just been discussed a few times in various other threads, so here it is: the official Tarkov thread.

For those who don't know, It's an incredibly difficult, hardcore FPS that is highly regarded as one of the most realistic FPS games on the market. It's still in beta so there's a lot that still needs to be done and there's a ridiculous amount of changes still to be made. Without going through everything, Nikita (the lead developer) has said what the game is now will be nothing like what the game will be on official launch, but it's still incredibly addicting right now as a competitive looter/survival/shooter. If anyone wants more info, just let me know and I'll edit this. I honestly could write a dissertation on this game given its complexity.

Just curious to see if anyone else here has been playing this recently.

Reactions: Igo69

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The game is like DayZ no? in the fact its also player run.

So if you have @#$#@ players, it will ruin your game experience.
Personally i only play those games if i can host my own dedicated servers, and play God if someone i don't like comes in.
I don't care if your playing fair, its my server and i am GOD, so i shall unleash the heaven's wrath on you...
*oops accidentally kicked my brother off the server*

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Griefers paradise , lose everything on death, that said, there is a mod that makes it single player i believe

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Is this game have been in development for years now? I thought this was like Stalker but when i found this is multiplayer i lost interest.

I cant access their site is it down?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Is this game have been in development for years now? I thought this was like Stalker but when i found this is multiplayer i lost interest.

I cant access their site is it down?
Been in development for at least five years I believe, but the scope of the game and what needs to be done is massive and needed a lot of testing. Considering there are literally thousands of different mods for weapons, the small team was unable to test the game which is where we come in. As for their site, it's a Russian site and a lot of blockers think it's a scam and will block it automatically. Same goes for their payment system. It looks sketchy as hell and most banks will outright block a charge to Russia, so some people have had to call their banks to accept the charge or just buy a pre-paid charge card and use that instead.

Griefers paradise , lose everything on death, that said, there is a mod that makes it single player i believe
You can buy insurance for your gear. If nobody picks up your gear and extracts with it, it'll come back to you in a day and if you play with friends, they can ditch/hide your gear for you but you need to claim your insurance as it won't stay in insurance forever. They give you three days to claim your insurance and if you don't, they sell it to one of the traders (Fence) where others can buy your gear. There is also a mod to make it single player but the vast majority of the game revolves around high risk/high reward. The mod also locks you out of a lot of features on top of many players reporting the mod has gotten their account banned in the past.

The game is like DayZ no? in the fact its also player run.

So if you have @#$#@ players, it will ruin your game experience.
Not really. Every time you load into a raid, you have a set time and player limit and who you spawn in with is completely random so long as they are in the same server region as you. Groups will always spawn in together, but you have no idea who else is in there with you. There's no HUD, no reticle, no player names, no map, no nothing. You have a compass, a watch, and an inventory screen that gives basic information like hunger, thirst, and health, but leaves you defenseless while you access your inventory. Without player names, if you lose track of your friends in your squad and get into a gunfight, the friendly fire chances skyrocket unless you have good communication through discord/teamspeak/etc.

Essentially, everyone is in the game for one reason - to survive and extract from the raid. Some players are in that specific raid to do tasks. Some are there for the loot. And some are there for the fight. Some tasks revolve around looting and some revolve around fighting, so there's always one thing to be sure of and that's if you see another player that's not part of your squad, you better kill them quickly because they won't hesitate to kill you either. The maps vary in size and pretty much all maps have high-traffic areas and hotspots, so if you're there just to grab some task items and leave, you can avoid those areas and hopefully avoid a fight.

That being said, there are definitely some edgy kids on there since your player name is shown in the lobby and after a death (your name is visible to them if you kill them and vice versa) and some player names would not be allowed anywhere. Since it's a Russian server, they don't really have a filter for what your name can be, so at the start of a wipe, it's pretty common to see racial slurs, sexual assault jokes, and political BS, but after a few months, those players get reported enough times and they get banned. As for having bad players, well, the whole game revolves around killing other players and taking their gear if you want it or leaving it for insurance or for someone else to find. You can only hold so much (depending on how big of a backpack you bring in) and weight is a thing in the game, so you won't find yourself trying to haul 100kg worth of gear out of the raid because at that point your character can't even walk.

Reactions: KMFJD

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i've been wanting this for a long time .. since 2016? IDk, since early announcement.

And everything i have seen has been a terrible disappointment.

I expl0in:

EFT is a incremental reflex/tactical FPS. You play a match in an medium-sized arena, and you loot both the arena and the enemy players. Changes ingame are permanent, so if killed you lose you gear, and if you kill, you keep the looted gear.
You sell and upgrade.
Weapons are strong and TTK is very skill dependant with a small amount of randomness.

This is the perfect (in theory) environment for someone like me. I got decent aim, experience, and i'm "game-smart".
You go ingame, you pewpew some dumb nabs, and you take their guns. You sell them because they are rubbish, and you buy some meta stuff that a smart player like you can use to dominate while everyone cries that you are a haxx0r.

The problem is that Tarkov is horribly unfair. The have MAJOR issues with netcode, which is not something you want in games where you can get dropped in 200ms.
They also are badly administering their game, have balance issues, P2W mechanics, and are too expensive. These last issues are not bad enough to make people not play, but they are noticeable enough to be a problem. Add this to their netcode issues and the once-perfect game turns into something that i know i would hate.

I have seen videos of people emptying a magazine into someone at melee range only for their shots to completely disappear. Now, if this was ocasional and only mattered on the score of that one game, meh, it's something you can live with. But if it leads to you *permanently* losing gear that you might have grinded for hours to get, then sorry guys, but i'm out.

Reactions: KMFJD

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
You play a match in an medium-sized arena, and you loot both the arena and the enemy players.
The maps vary in size with Factory is the smallest and Shoreline is the largest and it feels like a great injustice to call them "arenas". You can leave the map through multiple exits and all the maps do have boundaries, so I guess they qualify as an arena, but they don't feel like that.

so if killed you lose you gear
Not always. If an AI kills you, there's a chance nobody will find your body and you'll get your stuff back through insurance. You can also have friends hide your gear or simply toss it off the map. There's also the fact if you die on a slope, your body will roll down and if you die near the edge of the map or near a body of water, your body rolls away and you'll get your stuff back the next day. There's also the fact that if a player kills you, they decide what they want to take. Some players only want your dogtag for tasks and don't care about the gear you have. Some players will just strip your gun and leave the rest. It's a gamble.

The have MAJOR issues with netcode
The netcode I'll agree with, but I've been playing for a few years (this is my fifth wipe and they wipe the servers every 7-10 months) and I can't recall the netcode being a game-changer for me. There's been a few instances where desync was a factor, but for the VAST majority of my time playing, ping/desync/netcode problems aren't an issue for me or my friends. Select a server or group of servers in your area and you shouldn't have any issues. I have randomly disconnected from servers that showed double-digit ping for me, but those are rare occasions.

They also are badly administering their game, have balance issues, P2W mechanics, and are too expensive.
I'm not sure what you mean in this regard. The players are actively testing the game to figure out the balance issues but since the developers are going for a realistic experience, there can't be widespread balance across the map. Some things are going to just be better than others. Also, there are no Pay to Win features in the game. You can buy the upgraded version (Edge of Darkness) for $140 instead of the standard $40 and all you get is a boost to trader rep (which can be obtained normally), a larger secure container (doesn't really help other than saving you a bit of money in the long run), and you start off with a fully-upgraded stash (also obtainable normally but it doesn't give you an advantage over anyone else). Also not sure what you're talking about for the expensive part. If you're talking about the game, it regularly goes on sale for around $30 for a standard edition and any standard account holder can upgrade to a higher tier and they only pay the difference.

I have seen videos of people emptying a magazine into someone at melee range only for their shots to completely disappear.
I think you're watching way too many hand-picked videos. If you hang around on EFT's Reddit page, you'll get the impression that every single raid is infested with hackers and glitches. According to my game stats, I've sunk around 1800 hour into the game and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've encountered an obvious hacker. Sure, there's times I've been sniped out of the blue, but since it's impossible to know where other players are and given the fact I exclusively do this to other players, it's ignorant to scream hacks just because I died to a headshot in a weird spot.

But if it leads to you *permanently* losing gear that you might have grinded for hours to get, then sorry guys, but i'm out.
You don't lose anything permanently because you can get that same gear back. Also, it doesn't take hours to get gear and the game surprisingly has no grind at all. You can buy gear from traders or the flea market (once you unlock the flea) or you can just jump on a scav run and go get gear that way.