Escape From Tarkov

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
I've been paying attention to this since I heard about it a long time back. It's now in Closed Beta and accepting Pre-order instant access. Has anyone had any hands-on with this game? I'm on the fence, as it's been compared to ARMA and DayZ, both of which I haven't played. Hoping to hear some people's experiences with it.

https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This is gonna make me sound like a pecker head, but it looks exactly like all the other crap out there right now, except not as impressive.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
It's a bit different and has some progression element to it. You spawn into a map with maybe 8-20 other players + AI mobs, and see what gear you can escape with by scavenging and killing. Build up an inventory over time, select from that to spawn into future missions. Had a friend who was playing it but he soured after some serious issues became present in the game. We haven't followed closely enough to assess where it stands right now though.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I bought it for some f'd up reason because I don't really have any interest in playing it. I guess for 15 minutes I thought I'd play it but I doubt I ever will. Don't you lose your equipment when you die? I'm pretty sure I watched a review of the game and that was one of the major complaints the guy had.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Yeah, I've seen quite a few YouTube videos to pique my interests. I understand the overall loot/RPG leveling system and it seemed to be unique. Yes, if you die, your loot is gone unless it is insured (and not looted by another player) - thus, you play more cautiously. I was hoping to get some players with hands-on experience, to see if they are enjoying it.

clamum - Wanna sell me your preorder copy?? ;)

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
I bought this game back in May, however I really only started playing it seriously after the 0.4 patch. I really love the game. The goal is to be a more hardcore game than most others out there. There's very limited hud (none for the most part, but it'll tell you if you're gun is on full auto/single fire if you hit 'b'). You lose all your gear on death except for what's in your pouch (at most a 3x3 or 2x4 so the best you can store is an SMG but that means you can't store you expensive meds in there). Healing is pretty extensive. If you get shot in a limb, most likely you'll fracture the limb, and need a bandage to stop the bleeding, a splint so you have most functionality of that limb, and a medkit to restore the health lost. Weapon customization is pretty vast as well. I remember playing a game with similar customization, but the name isn't coming to me right now. Most actions are performed manually. If you need to reload, you hit 'r', it ejects your current mag, places it into either your pocket or tactical rig, and places a new mag in the gun. You then have to either add more rounds to the old mag (it's a simple drag and drop with no character action so it's instant) or have another mag to reload into. The magazine won't fit into your pockets or rig? It's dropped on the ground. Hit 'r' too many times because you were panicking? Your character does a quick reload and drops the mag on the ground. Looting is pretty nice. Rare loot is pretty rare and rewarding, while common loot and guns can easily be skipped over. You can loot keys on one map to use on another to have a chance at grabbing a sweet VAL/AK/M4.

Yeah, it's in early access, but I've been following the game since around February, pulled the trigger in May as the packages were on sale, and I bought the highest tier then. Been following it for awhile, but my computer always struggled to play the game. If you only have 8gb of RAM, your machine WILL struggle to play the game. There's some pretty obvious issues with the game right now. Desync is huge at the moment. Sometimes AI will shoot you through a wall with is really frustrating. However, I've seen this game develop and have high hopes for it.

The Scavs add an extra dynamic to everything. They can be AI or player controlled and can really mess your day up. Likewise you can play as the Scav and cause some mischief. The insurance system can be pretty helpful and calming if you just went into a raid and lost your best gear. Just hope nobody looted your body.

I've played a lot of early access game and hardcore fps games. I've seen most fail miserably and it really sucks, but Tarkov is going in the right direction. There's tons of features, maps, and gear that haven't been added yet, but are expected to arrive with the full release. The devs are sticking pretty close to their roadmap and I'm excited to see what comes out of the game. If you're skeptical about buying, I don't blame you. It's pretty enjoyable and I recommend at least keeping an eye out for it.

Reactions: Miklebud

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Unless you're REALLY into the game and/or want to help bug test, I would suggest waiting for full release. The more games that get away with early access sales, the less pressure on devs to make feature complete games.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looks kinda like Dying Light. I may give it a shot when its finished, if it ever is finished.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
It's basically the Dark Zone in the Division, but in ARMA instead of a 3rd person action shooter.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
There was a big marketing push on YouTube a few months back and I watched a lot of vids. It looks awesome, I like the concept a lot. I'll wait till a more complete version is released but I'm interested for sure. Typical ea bugs (lag, crashes, etc) must be very frustrating in a high stakes persistent game like this

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i'm looking at this game and my impression is that it might actually be TOO LATE to join this game.
Escape from Tarkov (henceforth Escape) is a FPS where a few bullets can kill you. The TTK is very low, the kill distance is very long, and you can own gear that helps you kill faster and die slower.
In addition, when you lose, you lose the gear you equipped. When you win, you steal that gear, which you can then sell, and buy better gear.
This means that, if you add skill difference, experience in the game, and offensive and defensive gear, the newer players will get rekt, and lose what little they have, and the early-beta, more experienced player will get yet even better gear.
basically you are looking to get raped for a few months, until you catch up, to players who have more experience AND the extra months on top of that, that it took you to get there.

been there, done that. the same was happening in Survarium and Blacklight, although Blacklight will pretty much level off after 6 months or so, in Survarium you don't stand a chance. Thinking of it, Dark Age Of Camelot was also similar, at least in PvP.

it does look amazing though. Not sure if i can cope with the "lean" mechanics, i'v enever used lean in any shooter.

source: i'm *pretty good* at shooters. not Dreamhack-good, but pretty good.

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
^^I think they've already had a few beta inventory wipes. Don't know if more are planned or not or if there will be a release inventory wipe.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Another multiplayer? Sad. I thought this was going to be a Stalker like game. Looks nice though

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
i'm looking at this game and my impression is that it might actually be TOO LATE to join this game.
Escape from Tarkov (henceforth Escape) is a FPS where a few bullets can kill you. The TTK is very low, the kill distance is very long, and you can own gear that helps you kill faster and die slower.
In addition, when you lose, you lose the gear you equipped. When you win, you steal that gear, which you can then sell, and buy better gear.
This means that, if you add skill difference, experience in the game, and offensive and defensive gear, the newer players will get rekt, and lose what little they have, and the early-beta, more experienced player will get yet even better gear.
basically you are looking to get raped for a few months, until you catch up, to players who have more experience AND the extra months on top of that, that it took you to get there.

been there, done that. the same was happening in Survarium and Blacklight, although Blacklight will pretty much level off after 6 months or so, in Survarium you don't stand a chance. Thinking of it, Dark Age Of Camelot was also similar, at least in PvP.

it does look amazing though. Not sure if i can cope with the "lean" mechanics, i'v enever used lean in any shooter.

source: i'm *pretty good* at shooters. not Dreamhack-good, but pretty good.
You'd think it'd be too late to catch up, but this is actually a really good time to get in if that's your concern. You have to remember that there is always going to be somebody better than you, so everybody is constantly losing gear. You'll have nights where you start with nothing, go to a full stash, and then lose it all. Gear circulates between players like crazy, and nobody is an exception. I'm not sure why this is the case, but I think the limited stash space also plays a role in this. Eventually, the top players will only have room for the best of the best, so their stash will only be M4A1s (best gun in the game right now), maybe a few snipers for fun, and top tier vests and helmets; they won't have room for tier 2 gear. Then there's you who isn't to that level yet. You'll be insuring your MPXs, MP5s, AK74ns, and AKMs. When you die, since these guys aren't picking up your gear, you'll get it back in 24ish hours.

Right now there are only 4 maps to play: Factory, Customs, Woods, and Shoreline. Factory is pretty close quarters, and the other 3 have quite a bit of room to roam around. On factory, it's pretty easy to start with a pistol (or hatchet/knife if that's your thing) and work your way up to either a civilian AK rifle, or an AK74u in one round, potentially even better if you find a PMC that geared up. Factory is a neat map because most players go in undergeared so it's a good farming place for beginner guns. After that, you can go into the other 3 maps. Those maps have a lot more geared players so you can risk yours there.

I'm not sure how much of this will change once the game releases and goes open world, but what I'm saying is now is the best time to practice. We had a wipe about a week ago, so people are still running around with barely anything. Even before that, it took until the final few days before most people were comfortable with bringing out their better guns. A lot of people are scared of losing their best so they just use lower tier guns and no armor. You'll always find somebody that can be killed with a pistol with ease. If you practice now, you'll have a jump on all the people that buy into it at full release, but even then all you carry over is your experience and even that is mainly how familiar you are with the map. The gunplay is a little different than other games, but that can be learned fairly quickly, especially from anybody coming from an ARMA background.

This is probably the game I'm most interested in right now. I'm not going to lie and say it's perfect, in fact I don't recommend any of my friends to purchase it yet. There's a lot of bugs and server issues that'll hit just as you bring in your best setup. It's runs poorly on anything but the top tier systems right now. I've seen a lot of games release in early access and fail. I've played legacy Rust, DayZ mod/standalone, WarZ, ARK, 7 Days to Die, pretty much if it was an early access survival game, I've played it. Notice that every single game in this list is still a terrible game trying to deliver on a promise. Other than PUBG, I never wanted to buy another early access game, but something is special about this one. I've seen real developments over time. The final product still seems like a ways away, and even though the game is in Beta, it still feels like an Alpha release. Purchase with caution.

Reactions: DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i do not believe open world is a real thing anymore.

Aside from that, i appreciate Mild's review, but i have one more thing to add: the game is ***expletive*** expensive.

You can buy a $30 basic game, or you can buy a $200 game with a huge starting stash size and top relation with all the traders, which means you can from the getgo buy the best guns, and you can stash more stuff to turn into money.

Thats a no-no. That's pretty darn close to pay2win in a world where Combat Arms doesn't exist.

I don't know, the game looks nice, i've seen many videos of people enjoying it on youtube, but i am not convinced yet.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
losing your eq when you die in an open pvp game that's multiplayer will make one very salty especially if a hacker is present on the game.

The gm's wont roll you back when you die to a hacker.
And in games like this, there will always be hackers.

So i will say this game will have to pass for me.
I would rage like a little fat kid if i died to a hacker and lost all my gear.

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
You could be correct in open world being a post release goal, but it's still in the pipeline for sure.

The game is expensive, no denying that. This is completely biased as I purchased the top package from the beginning so I have far less to worry about than some, but it's not pay to win at all. I only have one close friend who also plays the game, but he purchased the lowest tier version. We are both playing the same way, I'm just able to hold onto more tac rigs and magazine, where he has to liquidate his loot more often. You still have plenty of room for everything you need. I've been playing longer, so I do end up dropping him some armor and helmets in game if we want to go full loadout, but that's because he hasn't found any yet, not because he doesn't have room. Honestly, the biggest advantages right now are the fact that I start with higher trader reputation and have the gamma container. Having higher tiered traders is more important than the extra stash space to me, and the 3x3 container instead of 2x2 is insanely helpful.

When the game releases, you'll be able to upgrade your stash and container through trader tasks, so that gap gets closed. Even now you can get a 2x4 container near the end of one of the traders tasks. The only difference will be starting gear, and the highest tier gets all DLC.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I actually finally started putting a few hours in this game and holy shit is it insanely fun--and I'm only doing factory runs so far. Still not sure I could recommend most people jump in yet but goddamn.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
Lately I've been doing a lot of group raids with my friends. They took advantage of the Black Friday sale (25% off all packages; probably should have posted it here for anybody following the game), and I have taken them under my wing. I have one buddy who was playing a little before that, and two that got it during the sale. The group gameplay is so much different compared to solo play. Because of the limited amount of PMCs that can spawn at the beginning, by having four of us, the numbers are already on our side. While my two friends aren't the greatest or have access to the better gear yet, they've played shooters before and can definitely hold their weight. It's great to be able to control the entire map on either factory or customs, and large portions of woods or shoreline. You end up getting out with more gear so you make more money, you get higher tier gear (fort armor, sniper drops, docs cases) and those can be split between the group as they drop, and you get much more exp per raid since you are killing so much more.

If you aren't already, I encourage you all to find a community to find other players, or possibly forming your own. I prefer to play with my buddies and keep the group pretty small so we are all used to playing with one another, otherwise I'd invite you all as well.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
$200 for all the guns? lol. STOP Buying stuff like this. I blame autism. All these companies should be sued for taking advantage of the mentally handicapped.

Reactions: Igo69

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Hideout system.
https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/news/id/66

Having played the game now I can safely say whatever starter guns they give you for paying extra are worth almost nothing. Extra stash space would be the bigger perk and the larger unlootable container is the biggest. We'll see how the release grind for those perks translates to dollars spent I guess.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Absolutely loving this game right now. I've drifted away from Arma over the last 2 years and this really scratches that itch. It is definitely rough around the edges (beta) but I see myself playing this for a long time.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Big update coming later this week. It sounds like it will be one of the new maps (Interchange) along with a ton of weapons & attachments.

It will also be the first inventory wipe since late December. If anyone was interested in this game, it is a pretty good time to jump in.

I've been playing this exclusively since Christmas and I'm still pretty hooked. The developers are very active on Reddit and do a great job with hot fixes and balancing as needed. There are definitely some performance issues but it gets a little better with each update. The core gameplay is good enough that I can overlook it for the most part.