Escape From Tarkov commits suicide

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
So, ill try to give you the facts as i understand them;

There is a game called Escape From Tarkov (now in beta and something i was interested in), made by the company Battle State Games.

Last week a third party, who some identify as a fan who had a data-mining website (to provide players stats, population on servers, etc, things like the Quake community has), and other identify as a hack-creator, allegedly found an exploit that could compromise all no-2-step accounts on EFT, including cc data.

Apparently he then contacted youtuber Eroktic, a EFT streamer, who proceeded to make a video denouncing this.

According to reddit, Eroktic is a clickbaiter, hater, and general PoS.
As today there is no confirmation that the exploit actually existed, and BSG have stated that it's impossible to access their protected account data.

Now - the fun bit: BSG have since enacted a COPYRIGHT strike on every video on Eroktic's channel - including some that had no BSG content.
With the info i used, it's safe to say that all of Eroktic's videos fall under fair use as per YT policy.

Obviously reddit/yt exploded (as much as the EFT community can) and they are calling for the head of BSG. The dmca strikes are illegal and BSG have even ... admitted, that they are not about copyright.
This has also brought to attention *other* isdues with the game, such as the horrid netcode (see link below), and may have well killed Escape From Tarkov for good.

There are *many* videos about the strike however i feel that they dont give out the message that Eroktic likely knew that the exploit didnt exist (or didnt bother to check).

EFT Netcode analysis:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah i saw some of the drama yesterday. It makes me sad i was watching this game closely, i dont buy many games day 1 anymore but EFT was shaping up to be one of them, but no chance of that happening anymore.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I have the game but I think I only played one round of it before, like a year ago. I'd like to play it some more but just never have. This drama doesn't bother me. It seems like a dickhead move to strike every one of that guy's videos, but that's all I know from this. I don't know anything about that Erotik YouTuber nor do I really care to. It won't stop me from playing the game if I ever get around to it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The biggest thing here is the monetization of youtube and what it leads to. It will eventually be its downfall.
I couldnt agree more. It attracted a huge number of people who went into yt just for the money (even when they didnt have a "skill" to show off) which in turn led them to adopt any means of getting views.