Error 732 in Partition Magic

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
I'm trying to partition my hard drive using Partition Magic 8 but when I do and it restarts and then starts to do it I get an error 732. I've tried looking on their website and on the internet to no avail. Does anyone know what exactly that is and steps I can do to fix it?
Thanks,
Stephen

PS- This is an effort to install red hat but red hat can't partition itself so this isn't completely off topic.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I don't believe Error 732 is a Partition Magic problem - but is being reported by P/M. I believe it relates to a DUN or Internet Access setting.

LiLithTecH

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: excalibur3
What is a DUN or Internet Access setting?

DUN = Dial Up Network

Are you using Partition Magic from a BOOTDISK or from within an OS?

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
So I took your advice LiLithecH and tried the program. The problem is that I have an 80 gig hard drive and I wanted to make a 20 gig partition and I started it about 25 hours ago and it is still going. It is on this stage where it is moving stuff and the first number (i think it was hexadecimal or something because it had a bunch of numbers, colons, and a few letters) started at 0 and it is now up to 120000. The progress bar doesn't truly tell you how far it is along because it just progresses by 25% after it finishes each of the four steps of repartitioning so it's been on 75% for about 24 hours. You can see the reference number that it is moving change about once every 5 seconds but the destination location reference number runs off the edge of the box so I can't see what it is at. How much longer will this take? I have a 2ghz P4 and although the hard drive light is on and flickering, it isn't going craazy like it does when I, say move a big file in windows. Is there anything I can do to speed this up and will this finish within a few days or what? I'm afraid that since it wrote a new partition index that if I turn it off then it will be unbootable. Any tips?
Thanks,
Stephen

PS- BruceB- So what does that mean?

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
I was trying to do it from the OS. It would say that it was going to restart to start partitioning it. The method that it is currently doing now though is from a program burned onto a cd.

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
I use, and HIGHLY recommend, the GParted LiveCD. It's extremely easy to use, and I've never had a problem with it. It takes about 10 minutes to resize a partition.

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
Great, it actually seems like that program has real documentation and support! But what do I do with my current situation? I checked an hour ago and it was still going (about 36 hours). I really don't want to corrupt my disk but it is looking more and more inevitable. Is there a way to recover a disk after a failed partition?

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
There are recovery tools for free, if your partition is hosed. However GParted may be even be able to fix it. Otherwise, I would check out the tools on the Ultimate Boot CD for data recovery.

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
How would Gparted fix a hosed partition because on the website it only talks about making, deleting, and resizing them? When i booted it up I didn't see any options of the sort. I just saw my hard drive with a warning flag next to it but all the options were centered around, creating, deleting or changing the size of the partition.

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
Could anyone tell me what program I should be running with the ultimate boot cd? There are so many and I'm not too familiar with fixing a hosed partition.

PS-I also notice that there is an ultimate boot cd and also a different product called the windows ultimate boot cd. I got the former, is that right?

So just to update me on exactly what happened is it that the partition is screwed up or the partition table? It's difficult to find a solution when I'm not very sure exactly what happened and steps to finding a solution.

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
Do not get the Windows Ultimate Boot CD. It just boots into a Windows environment instead of a Linux environment that the original UBCD uses, but it is not as mature. Use the original UBCD and look on their website for info on partition utilities.

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
Okay good that's the one I got. I looked on the site and it looked like there were some programs that can fix the master boot record but when I go to fix it it says that it matches the one that it would assign to it anyway. I'm really sorry that I don't know more but I need a little more guidance because even after going through the different programs on the cd and trying a few of them out I haven't gotten very far because I'm scared of deleting or corrupting further my partition. What is the task I am doing actually called or what program that should be used.
Thank you very much for all your help, I would definitely be sunk without you.

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
Well, when you ran the GParted LiveCD, what did your drive look like? Did it not detect a partition or what? If the partition was there in GParted, then it is probably ok. If you can boot back into Windows then you can run a chkdsk on it to make sure it is all ok.

Cdeck

May 13, 2005
i think i got the same message in partition magic 8 when i loaded it up to resize a 300 GB partition. i bet it has the 127 Gb limit.

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
When I boot Gparted it shows the partition but it has a orange triangle with an exclamation mark in it. It doesn't really know how to handle the drive (I think it might say unknown format or something)

Cdeck- This hard drive is only 80gb.

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
On the UBCD, there should be a section called Partitoin Tools with a tool called Partition Saving. It looks like it may work for you. You can view a list of all the tool on the UBCD homepage: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
On an unrelated note: I found an open source partition imaging tool called Partimage that looks promising as an alternative to Norton Ghost.

Brona

Jul 20, 2005
Hello,

If you happen to corrup or erase your partition while performing operation you can try bring it back using special tools. The one I've used for myself is Partition Recovery, from a data tools set CD image boot disk, that also includes good utils for data backup, erase and recovery. That might also help you.
http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm