Error 721 connecting to VPN

mleonard

Jul 17, 2006
I've been trying to setup a VPN server on my Win XP Pro machine using my Linksys BEFSX41. On the router, I have enabled each of the VPN pass-throughs and forwarded ports 1723, 500, & 50-51 to my Win XP static IP addres. On the Win XP machine I have created an incoming connection, allowed the proper user access, and specified a seperate TCP/IP range than my home network. When I test the connection on a seperate client, I get "Error: 721 The remote compter did not respond."

After researching on the internet, I've read that the error indicates GRE packets are not making it to the server (which is controlled by the PPTP Pass-thru setting), and is an issue with the routers firmware. I've checked my firmware, and I have the most recent 1.52.10 version. Is there a solution to this problem?

mleonard

Jul 17, 2006
I emailed the same question to Linksys support. Here is their response:

Normally, when setting up a VPN server behind a Linksys router, you need to open the VPN ports and even adjust the MTU setting. Aside from opening ports 1723, 500 and 50 ? 51, you may want to include port 47. Just incase after adding port 47 and you will still get the same error, try to enable the DMZ host and remove all the settings under the Port Forwarding page. This is for us to verify if there are ports missing or needed to be opened. Please refer to the steps below:

1. Adjust the MTU setting.

a. Launch your Internet Explorer 5 or later version or Netscape Navigator 4 or later version.
b. In the Address, Search or URL, type: http://192.168.1.1, then hit Enter or Return.
c. A login screen will appear. Type admin for the password and username then hit ?OK?.

Note: If it doesn?t take admin as the password, you might have changed it when you have run the setup CD that came with the router so try other passwords. If you can?t remember the password, you need to reset the router.

d. Under the Setup Page: set the MTU size to 1472 then click on the Save Settings button.
e. Click on Continue.
f. If the same problem occurs, decrease the size by 10 until better performance is achieved.

2. Enable the DMZ host.

a. Launch your Internet Explorer 5 or later version or Netscape Navigator 4 or later version.
b. In the Address, Search or URL, type: http://192.168.1.1, then hit Enter or Return.
c. A login screen will appear. Type admin for the password and username then hit ?OK?.
d. Click on the Applications and Gaming tab.
e. Click on the DMZ sub-tab.
f. Enable DMZ hosting and type the static IP address of the VPN server.
g. Click on the Save Settings button.

Note: Make sure to remove all entries from the Port Forwarding page.
None of this worked. Any further suggestions?