err....mathmeticians help please

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
sorry to ask for help, but i seriously have no idea how to do this...

if i have 2 tables, one that is exponentially increasing and one that is increasing linearly, how the hell do i find out what the 0 is?

thanks

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
are you allowed to use microsoft excel? If so, its easy and takes 10 seconds.

Otherwise, the linear one is very easy. You just find the slope using rise over run and use the points Plus slope information to backtrack to the y-intercept.

The exponential one, you can do the same, just linearize it using log.

btw, you dont need a mathematician to help with this sort of problem :) Now, if you are doing topology problems or chaos & fractals, then you may want some help from a mathematician ;p

PM me if you think i can help you out a bit more. Its tough to get everything out in text not knowing what you dont know etc. :)

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
er, how can i use excel to do it? i know it's really easy but i have no friggin idea how to do it anymore lol.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
PM sent.

column one: x values
column two: y values

highlight x and y values with mouse -> insert -> chart -> xy scatter

Right click a data point on the chart -> insert trendline -> choose the type, click options -> R-squared value show, show equation.

Right click the text box with the equation and click format -> number -> number -> set it for about 6 decimal precision.

If the R2 value is 1.0000 you know you selected the type of trendline correctly.