Ericsson T28 World Cell Phone $85 + tax at Office Depot B & M

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rominl

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Nov 2, 2000
if you are in south cali (at least), t28 is free..... i got mine totally free when sign up with pac bell

kimagurealex

Oct 9, 1999
actually, cancer is very slowly developed. So, the study can't prove too much of the phone vs human yet. So, try to use the ear piece as much as possible even it doesn't look cool.
Alex

cyberguy

Jan 15, 2001
The SKU # is 655-421.

They did not have Voicestream in my area. I guess that's why they sold it without any contract.

superfire911

Feb 3, 2001
Hi there, checked OD online store but could not find theT-28 world. :<
SKU# 655-421 was not found.

any URL links?

cyberguy

Jan 15, 2001
Superfire911,

This is only in B &amp; M.

I found another place that sells the same phone for $229 without any contract. Link

tetatdo

Aug 3, 2000
I just got back from Office Depot. they said its an invalid SKU, it didn't come up on their computer either.

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
I like the phone and everything, its compact and neat, but the antenna is kinda wierd. You can probably poke someone with it and they'll get hurt.

Got the month like 2 months ago for like $40 bux, but I 've to sign up a year of contract with VoiceStream. This is in NYC.

daimon

Oct 9, 1999
This is a bit off topic. I recently bought a t28 (voicestream) from e*gay to use with my voicestream plan. Turns out the phone is LOCKED, and the seller won't reverse the trade. (He put a pac-bell sim card in the phone before-- could be the reason why the phone is locked). E*gay said the seller is not liable. Any suggestions to deal with the guy?

*Finally got a REAL t28w; great phone. Beware of those from activation with plans(i.e voicestream), they are not really the world phone version even though it say so on the manual.

hoomza444

Aug 21, 2000
daimon is right.......the phone everyone is talkign about with activation is the t28z......i know because i have been looking around.

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000
whatever carrier's plan is overpriced in so. ca. comparing to other states and canada.
pacbell - now cingular's $40 300 min unlimited ld, weeknight weekend, sms plan is very reasonable and I'd say it's a deal.

provider can kill your phone thru sim via network, if you want to cheat insurance, remember to turn off the phone first. later they can determine that lost phone reappear in network, very few people are doing this, it's not worth for them to spend time and money to catch such people.

another problem - which gsm1900 carrier allows you to bring own phone to open new line without contract?

jaggrey

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2000
You CAN buy this phone w/o contract...I know this for a fact for two reasons:

1. I work at Office Depot, and we stopped doing in-store activations (both VoiceStream and Nextel).

2. I asked about it when I went to another Office Depot today and one of the managers said we can activate it if the customer wants (or something...)

rominl

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Nov 2, 2000
i believe if you activate with pac bell, you get a t28w? that's what i have in my hand right now.

and to unlock the phone, just take it to some china town or so... they are sooo easy to be cracked...

TurtleMan

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
umm tsk tsk ... ear piece is harm to u, i am a double E major , our prfessor proven that ear peice extend the radiation thru the cord from the ear peice speard out the radiatid alone the cord.. so it is actually worse ...

thisSkool

Jul 5, 2000
pillage2001,

from I been reading from the boards, unlocking the phone allows you to subscribe to ANY service provider, and locked one would only let you get service from that one provider the phone is programed for. that is why the unlocked ones are going three times as much as the locked one

bo_bear

Oct 10, 1999
The Ericsson T28 world phone is a dual-band phone, it'll run on GSM 900 (Europe, Asia) and GSM 1900 (US). So can use it in country other than the US.

The T28z (the one that Cingular/Pacbell has) would only run on GSM 1900. So you can only use it in the US. There is a really big difference between those two phones.

Also, T28 world phone has one of the highest (if not the highest) radiation level among all the current cellphones.