Eric Garner's family gets some justice, finally. Cop who killed him was fired without pension

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Because that literally can't happen! No one can actually complain while they are being choked....

You can put a chokehold on someone without completely obstructing their windpipe. It's the intent rather than whether or not Garner was literally choked off completely.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
You can put a chokehold on someone without completely obstructing their windpipe. It's the intent rather than whether or not Garner was literally choked off completely.

Even a partial choke hold would be readily apparent in the voice/ability to speak. I literally look for alterations in voice/speaking multiple times a day, and will knock someone out, paralyze them, and intubate if I think their ability to breathe for themself is compromised.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Because that literally can't happen! No one can actually complain while they are being choked....

It is very possible to make noise and words while suffocating. Suffocation doesn't require a complete absence of air, just not enough. But you know this, don't you?

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I always find it funny that conservatives support police despite police unions exemplifying every criticism conservatives have of public sector unions. Entitled and positively allergic to accountability for misconduct. I mean it took five years to fire a guy who was on tape strangling someone to death in gross violation of NYPD regulations. It shouldn't have taken five DAYS.

I probably lean more conservative than anything, but this is something I never ever ever understood about the typical conservative viewpoint: public unions are teh ebil and teh gobermint best not bother me but cops and their unions are legit. It seems like yet another example of "I like my team" more than "I am ideologically consistent."

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Garner shouldn't have resisted. But, this is the result of the left telling minorities that police are the enemy for the last few decades. There was nothing criminal about this, just an unfortunate situation. Maybe Pocahontas can call this murder like she did for Michael Brown in an attempt to yet further divide us through lies.
Hey why would minorities think police are against them?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/philad...desk-duty-over-racist-violent-facebook-posts/

I don't know whether you are just an idiot or complicit.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Hey why would minorities think police are against them?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/philad...desk-duty-over-racist-violent-facebook-posts/

I don't know whether you are just an idiot or complicit.

Well, that certainly speaks for all 700,000 - 800,000 police I guess. You found 70 that made questionable posts on FB. Can you show me how their actions were ever racist? Or is this more thoughtcrime stuff?

Let's see some of the posts this project calls out:

https://www.plainviewproject.org/data

A lot of that is pretty damn weak. Melodramatic leftist pussies again.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well, that certainly speaks for all 700,000 - 800,000 police I guess. You found 70 that made questionable posts on FB. Can you show me how their actions were ever racist? Or is this more thoughtcrime stuff?

Let's see some of the posts this project calls out:

https://www.plainviewproject.org/data

A lot of that is pretty damn weak. Melodramatic leftist pussies again.
70 were put on desk duty. 300 were guilty of posting to the group.

BTW - Were you not one of the one arguing for prosecuting Strozk and Page for their thought crimes? In their case they were talking to each other as opposed to posting on social media.

Reactions: ivwshane and JD50

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
70 were put on desk duty. 300 were guilty of posting to the group.

BTW - Were you not one of the one arguing for prosecuting Strozk and Page for their thought crimes? In their case they were talking to each other as opposed to posting on social media.

I don't think I ever said to prosecute them. I did say that they were obviously biased, though.

And again, we have over 700,000 police officers (some sources say closer to 800,000). You found a pretty small percentage wrote FB posts that were questionable. Go figure, the people that deal with the worst of society day in and day out dare to call a criminal a "savage" or say things like "he should be hanged" when discussing criminals and their behavior. Whatever, this seems pretty weak on the whole. Are there bad cops? Sure, there have to be. But, I firmly believe that is the exception and not the rule.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I don't think I ever said to prosecute them. I did say that they were obviously biased, though.

And again, we have over 700,000 police officers (some sources say closer to 800,000). You found a pretty small percentage wrote FB posts that were questionable. Go figure, the people that deal with the worst of society day in and day out dare to call a criminal a "savage" or say things like "he should be hanged" when discussing criminals and their behavior. Whatever, this seems pretty weak on the whole. Are there bad cops? Sure, there have to be. But, I firmly believe that is the exception and not the rule.
You would have a valid point if minorities were treated equally under the CJS. However that is not what happens.

So we have this.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You would have a valid point if minorities were treated equally under the CJS. However that is not what happens.

So we have this.

CJS... court justice system?

If so, minorities are treated equally on the whole. No one gets extra time for being a woman, for being brown, for being xyz ethnicity.

Again, you found a drop in the bucket of people that made FB posts that are questionable. Continue on your crusade, victim.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

If so, minorities are treated equally on the whole. No one gets extra time for being a woman, for being brown, for being xyz ethnicity.

Again, you found a drop in the bucket of people that made FB posts that are questionable. Continue on your crusade, victim.

You know if your Trump just took Greenland since Denmark has had no legal right to Greenland for a long time, he could put the victims, and Jews disloyal to Trump and move them there. After all he as much right to do that as buying Greenland at all.

Snap, thanks for supporting the retweet of him being called the King of the Jews. Trump liked that and you will work to justify that in all likelihood and if not that will be a serious break from your methodology.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Can't believe we have to bring up for the 100th time disparity in pot possession sentencing. My vote is complicit and stupid.

Reactions: ivwshane

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Can't believe we have to bring up for the 100th time disparity in pot possession sentencing. My vote is complicit and stupid.

Please do. And for every single case I need you to provide the circumstances and details of each case. Police or other witness testimony, details of the arrest (violence, resisting, etc.) maybe a transcript or video of each court proceeding that is figured into this stat. Also previous histories of the defendants of each contrasting case, please.

Until you have that, you're just lying with statistics. Lies and damn lies.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Please do. And for every single case I need you to provide the circumstances and details of each case. Police or other witness testimony, details of the arrest (violence, resisting, etc.) maybe a transcript or video of each court proceeding that is figured into this stat. Also previous histories of the defendants of each contrasting case, please.

If that level of data is required in order to make a judgment as to the fairness of the court system then how can you say that minorities are treated fairly on the whole? You would have absolutely no idea.

lol, dummy. You really should think before you post.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

I could also point out that most choke holds do not work by collapsing the windpipe, as that is considerably dangerous, and causes most people to panic and fight instead of submit.

Most choke holds work by restricting blood flow to the brain by putting pressure on the carotid arteries in the neck, a blood choke or strangulation. A person is capable of talking while in a choke hold, but they probably will not be in a mental state to. A properly applied choke hold will make someone lose consciousness almost immediately, in a matter of seconds.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

So, existential circumstances warranting more time only effect black people?

You are dumber then you look.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

That's not what I said. Don't be surprised if people that tend to follow liberals more than conservatives have been fooled into hating the police, fearing the police, rejecting authority, etc. Do you think stunts like the picture below will lead to fewer problems or more problems with the police for those that see Kaepernick as a role model, as an example?

kaepernick-pig-socks.jpg

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It was kind of amusing that he didn't seem to realize that the exact same absurd data that he demanded in order to show the system was biased would be required to show the system was unbiased, which he already stated was true.

We are not dealing with the brightest bulb here, lol.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I probably lean more conservative than anything, but this is something I never ever ever understood about the typical conservative viewpoint: public unions are teh ebil and teh gobermint best not bother me but cops and their unions are legit. It seems like yet another example of "I like my team" more than "I am ideologically consistent."

The typical conservative is fascist and thus loves all things police. Really not that difficult to understand.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That's not what I said. Don't be surprised if people that tend to follow liberals more than conservatives have been fooled into hating the police, fearing the police, rejecting authority, etc. Do you think stunts like the picture below will lead to fewer problems or more problems with the police for those that see Kaepernick as a role model, as an example?

kaepernick-pig-socks.jpg
Chicken or egg, which do you think came first, police treating black people poorly or black people thinking ill of the police? You may need to have read history to answer that one.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Chicken or egg, which do you think came first, police treating black people poorly or black people thinking ill of the police? You may need to have read history to answer that one.

I think if we go 40 years back I'd be on your side of the argument. That clearly isn't the case any more.

Let me ask you a question, do you think we're more racist today as a society on the whole or were we more racist in the past? Do you think we focus on eliminating racism as best we can more today or did we do more to fight racism in the past?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think if we go 40 years back I'd be on your side of the argument. That clearly isn't the case any more.

Let me ask you a question, do you think we're more racist today as a society on the whole or were we more racist in the past? Do you think we focus on eliminating racism as best we can more today or 40 years ago and before?
So if a young black male thinks ill of the police and his father was mistreated somewhere around 40 years ago, would he not carry that forward?

Also who says that isn't the case now? Not as a majority but large enough to be an issue.

We were getting better but we are currently on a backslide.