ER continues the socio/pol messages by not only taking a stab at Humvee drivers tonight but also plugging abortion while

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
I always love it when liberal media outlets such as ER producers/writers feel the need to throw their two cents in by writing in situations that surround semi controversial topics....

For example tonights episode featured a guy who drove his Humvee into an entire family killing most of them all the while the owner blacked out, was more concerned about his car than anything else, and frequently commented on how those "poor schmucks" should have been driving a humvee when finally the victimized nurse clues him in to his wrongdoings when he finally sees the light....

Then they go on to tell the tale of an underage girl who is being abused by her college age boyfriend and he is letting his friends in on the action.....just another show that makes guys look like a bunch of typical a-holes....

also forgot to mention their take on same sex marriages with Dr. Weaver and her companion/SO and child....

shame on me for bothering with this drivel, at least with Law and Order I can stand the liberal lean and socio/political innuendos as the plots are somewhat decent...I swore off ER after they killed the best character a month ago and here I am watching it out of boredom....

my question...should entertainment television focus or hint at what their producers/writers/creators think is what is "right" for society...or should they focus on simply putting out good entertainment tv and leave the socio commentary for appropriate venues....

wkabel23

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2003
Guess what? It's television. It isn't real. You don't have to watch it! It's just like complaining about how right-wing Fox News is...what good does it do?

OMG THIS TV SHOW PORTRAYED LAWYERS AS GREEDY OMG THEY ARE TRYING TO INFLUENCE THE WORLD THAT LAWYERS ARE BAD PEOPLE OMG OMG OMG

Oh one more thing, once you own a network like NBC feel free to run all the tv shows filled with right wing influence you want.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
You know what they say... you see what you want to see.

If you want to delude yourself about the big scary liberals on tv trying to impose their values onto you, and it's not just your your usual typical right wing insecurity. Go ahead.

I personally don't watch TV. Because everything thats on usually s u c k s.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I really do think you're confusing a liberal slant with simple overdramatization. Humvee owners are an easier target target than the guy with a prius. And same sex partner? That was on friends when I used to watch it. Not exactly a new thing.

Anyway, if you don't like it, so as I do: Don't watch tv. Its all sh!t anyway.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
ugh and a few weeks ago they showed foreign doctors ranting about america and looking like asses doing it. so whats your point again:p

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Why would you watch that sucky show anyway? I enjoy right wing cartoon like southpark, especialy the one from last night on anti-gun control.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
eh south parks all over the place, its not right wing, its just funny:) most of southpark would make ashcroft sh*t himself.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Why would you watch that sucky show anyway? I enjoy right wing cartoon like southpark, especialy the one from last night on anti-gun control.

I don't think I would consider South part "right wing" per say....was a decent show that I watched from time to time until I weened myself off of adult cartoons as I lost interest in the concept.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: wkabel23
Guess what? It's television. It isn't real. You don't have to watch it! It's just like complaining about how right-wing Fox News is...what good does it do?

OMG THIS TV SHOW PORTRAYED LAWYERS AS GREEDY OMG THEY ARE TRYING TO INFLUENCE THE WORLD THAT LAWYERS ARE BAD PEOPLE OMG OMG OMG

Oh one more thing, once you own a network like NBC feel free to run all the tv shows filled with right wing influence you want.

wkabel....problem is there are plenty of weak minded individuals such as yourself who take what they see on fictional TV shows such as ER as fact, just as the millions of Oprah viewers stopped purchasing meat when she publicly announced she would no longer eat it.....

TV has a bigger impact on the ideas and viewpoints of the general public then you would like to admit....

Also re-read my post, I never said anything about substituting the liberal content for conservative....if anything I wondered if socio/political messages should even be a part of this "entertainment" television at all....

If you have watched a few episodes you would see they do often times hit on current controversial topics and portray them with a heavy liberal bias...

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
ER is too liberal? That's funny.

How about for good ole right-wing broadcasting we start an Amish barn-raising channel?

Seriously, it's tv, they put on what gets people to watch. If you don't like it, go watch something else or do something else instead of complaining about it.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
ugh and a few weeks ago they showed foreign doctors ranting about america and looking like asses doing it. so whats your point again:p

the fact that they showed this IMHO is rather large...while you might have thought they looked like "asses" I am sure plenty of people took that image and agreed with it...or it at least made them go "hmmm, maybe they have a point"....not the first current media outlet that has given off such an anti american image, "finding Nemo" jumps into mind as another with a seemingly blatant anti american statement....

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Strk

How about for good ole right-wing broadcasting we start an Amish barn-raising channel?

Seriously, it's tv, they put on what gets people to watch. If you don't like it, go watch something else or do something else instead of complaining about it.

Strk, you're a liberal so of course you don't think the show is *that* liberal.....I am not complaining about the show itself but rather questioning, is this the venue to push socio/political beliefs/agendas? personally I think not...

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

They were talking about how Americans, on average, are heavier than most other people in the world. If you can somehow prove that one wrong, I would be in shock.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: bozack

Strk, you're a liberal so of course you don't think the show is *that* liberal.....I am not complaining about the show itself but rather questioning, is this the venue to push socio/political beliefs/agendas? personally I think not...

I just think they're running out of ideas so the writers are attempting to be controversial(which I think they're failing at, but, like you said, I'm just another evil liberal, so I guess they have to try much harder for me ;)). You can only do the same trauma so many times
rolleye.gif

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
I just think they're running out of ideas so the writers are attempting to be controversial(which I think they're failing at, but, like you said, I'm just another evil liberal, so I guess they have to try much harder for me ;)). You can only do the same trauma so many times
rolleye.gif

Strk, I would never say you are evil simply because you are a liberal, wacky maybe...but evil no. I agree, they try to include controversial topics, or maybe not even controversial but topics that might catch attention/strike a nerve while also pushing the agenda of the writers...etc, however I still wonder if this is the proper venue for such activity?? I personally watch these shows for entertainment only, not to have some subliminal message drilled into my head...

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
A college guy lets his friends gangbang his 16 y/o fiance and she gets pregnant...

I think an abortion for her and a jail sentence for him is only fitting.

The guy with the hummer, most people that drive them are self indulgent pricks anyway. It was fairly accurate

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare
A college guy lets his friends gangbang his 16 y/o fiance and she gets pregnant...

The guy with the hummer, most people that drive them are self indulgent pricks anyway. It was fairly accurate

Right Nitemare, but again it seems like they are just pushing what they always do...why not a story about a young boy who was abused by or taken advantage of by their Teacher or an older woman? (another true story they could have pulled from) instead they take the generic, most guys are a bunch of a-holes route....also it wasn't really emphasised that she should be having the abortion because it was wrong and most certainly rape, but rather she have the abortion because at her age she *will* regret having the child later on...not until the end do they go on to show how the younger nurse couldn't go through with the abortion....

With re. the Hummer, why bother, why specify....why not say it was just a truck....they singled out Hummers because they know they are controversial and many are not in favor of them...

so again, should this be the venue for socio/political beliefs to be expressed especially knowing that many weak minded individuals watch alot of entertainment TV....seems almost like subliminal messages.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Right Nitemare, but again it seems like they are just pushing what they always do...why not a story about a young boy who was abused by or taken advantage of by their Teacher or an older woman? (another true story they could have pulled from) instead they take the generic, most guys are a bunch of a-holes route....also it wasn't really emphasised that she should be having the abortion because it was wrong and most certainly rape, but rather she have the abortion because at her age she *will* regret having the child later on...not until the end do they go on to show how the younger nurse couldn't go through with the abortion....

With re. the Hummer, why bother, why specify....why not say it was just a truck....they singled out Hummers because they know they are controversial and many are not in favor of them...

so again, should this be the venue for socio/political beliefs to be expressed especially knowing that many weak minded individuals watch alot of entertainment TV....seems almost like subliminal messages.

How old was the nurse talking to her though? She had a child at an early age and can relate

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000

Wowzers. And I thought I was delusional for actually thinking Howard Dean was gonna be our next President. ;)

Seriously though, I think any agenda can be found in any hour-long tv drama. I didn't see this show, and the only TV shows I watch are the ones on HBO, but on an episode of any network "family" show I could have easily picked out some obvious "conservative messages" and gone on a rant about them. But doing so is silly, because its just a TV show. The goal of a TV show is to get ratings and generate ad revenue. It isn't to subliminally disseminate liberal propaganda.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
How old was the nurse talking to her though? She had a child at an early age and can relate

gotta remember Nitemare that the whole situation is fictional, while it might seem like real life, it is still a plot written by a writer and they can make it seem like anything they want to...they could have easily reversed the situation so that the young girl wanted an abortion but the nurse suggested that she weigh her options and possibly talk to her parents about it (yeah right good luck seeing something like that happen on national TV)....she could have also mentioned abortion as she did, but in the cotext of the story line it seemed as if the nurse was suggesting that was the best (and should be the only) course of action....

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla Wowzers. And I thought I was delusional for actually thinking Howard Dean was gonna be our next President. ;)

Seriously though, I think any agenda can be found in any hour-long tv drama. I didn't see this show, and the only TV shows I watch are the ones on HBO, but on an episode of any network "family" show I could have easily picked out some obvious "conservative messages" and gone on a rant about them. But doing so is silly, because its just a TV show. The goal of a TV show is to get ratings and generate ad revenue. It isn't to subliminally disseminate liberal propaganda.

Monster if I was the only one claiming this then I might think I am batty as well, but I have seen this same topic brought up by others and not just with re. ER, Law and Order along with a few other popular TV shows often times hit on controversial topics and generally the message is liberal (I have yet to see any brodcast programming supporting anything even remotely conservative in beliefs and ideals) even on so called "family" shows, unless you are talking about Fox programming which is an exception.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla Wowzers. And I thought I was delusional for actually thinking Howard Dean was gonna be our next President. ;)

Monster if I was the only one claiming this then I might think I am batty as well, but I have seen this same topic brought up by others and not just with re. ER, Law and Order along with a few other popular TV shows often times hit on controversial topics and generally the message is liberal (I have yet to see any brodcast programming supporting anything even remotely conservative in beliefs and ideals) even on so called "family" shows, unless you are talking about Fox programming which is an exception.

I have never ever heard of ER or Law and Order being called overtly liberal. West Wing, yes. But it IS a drama about Democrats in the White House.

I'm sure other people can help me out here, but I think CBS has alot of conservative, wholesome family shows. Wasn't there a show about an angel? That's pretty repulsive. Oh, Joan of Arcadia about the girl who talks to God. Makes me sick, these religious right nuts who attempt to justify the obvious non-existence of God. There was also 7th Heaven, Gilmore Girls, and some other shows on the WB or UPN. Portraying these families who are impossibly loving and caring of each other is obviously a social conservative's wet dream and totally has no grounds in reality.

Of course I was using hyperbole, but I hope you get my point.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
I have never ever heard of ER or Law and Order being called overtly liberal. West Wing, yes. But it IS a drama about Democrats in the White House.

I'm sure other people can help me out here, but I think CBS has alot of conservative, wholesome family shows. Wasn't there a show about an angel? That's pretty repulsive. Oh, Joan of Arcadia about the girl who talks to God. Makes me sick, these religious right nuts who attempt to justify the obvious non-existence of God. There was also 7th Heaven, Gilmore Girls, and some other shows on the WB or UPN. Portraying these families who are impossibly loving and caring of each other is obviously a social conservative's wet dream and totally has no grounds in reality.

CBS and conservative?? ...seems pretty obvious you have issues with religion, also I love this <b>Makes me sick, these religious right nuts who attempt to justify the obvious non-existence of God</b>....what makes me sick is people like who who cannot understand and accept why for some it is very important to believe in a "higher power" and an "afterlife"....

with re. the WB, again that is not on the same level as the larger networks, NBC, ABC, CBS...etc. I have yet to see any real conservative programming on the Big three.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla

CBS and conservative?? ...seems pretty obvious you have issues with religion, also I love this <b>Makes me sick, these religious right nuts who attempt to justify the obvious non-existence of God</b>....what makes me sick is people like who who cannot understand and accept why for some it is very important to believe in a "higher power" and an "afterlife"....

with re. the WB, again that is not on the same level as the larger networks, NBC, ABC, CBS...etc. I have yet to see any real conservative programming on the Big three.

Umm. Did you read the part about me using hyperbole? Do you understand what hyperbole is? I was saying those things to illustrate to you that a religious right agenda can be found in network programming just like the liberal environmental or pro-life agenda you saw in ER. So I imitated your tirade against liberals with a tirade against the religous right. In other words, I was trying to make the point that its all in the eye of the viewer. That whole "makes me sick" talk was just an example because I'm trying to get you to understand the possible opposing viewpoint.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I thought the episode last night wasn't too bad, they did allow the HumVee owner some peace when he explained the purchase & showed that the accident actually saved his life by popping him in the chest when he was in ventricular tachycardia.

What I like about ER is that it mirrors reality pretty well, it's hard to domonize an attitude or belief if you explore both sides of the issue.

What pissed me off was when the nurse clocked the college boy & immediately she was in trouble. Nurses are expected to be doormats & punching bags for patients & give up their constitutional rights @ the front door. The show realistically portrayed what happens to nurses when that sh1t happens.

A guy assaulted me @ work once, the hospital police blew it off, didn't even up the incident, I went to the local authorities, had the patient arrested, thrown in jail, & convicted of assault. You should have seen my hospital's administration scramble, the police calimed to have never been aware of it, I proved they were through phone records:D