EQ2 Rise of Kunark launches today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
I don't think anyone plays that game. Plus the graphics look like plastic

Its slightly skewed right now, but Timorous Deep was packed last night when I rolled a Sarnak. Almost too crowded to complete the first quests on the beach. Everybody on the server will be rolling a Sarnak. :p

Also, every server was listed as Medium population, with a few such as Antonia Bayle being listed as Heavy. AB is usually at Heavy populations most of the time though. Lucan Dlere, the other RP server is usually at Medium pop.

Normally, there are plenty of people in the game. Its hardly the desert that some people make it out to be. Look at Horizons, for example, you could play for hours and not see a soul outside the main chat. In EQ2, you'll see people everyone. All the major chat channels will be active, you'll see people in every major open zone, etc.

Graphics-wise, its still among the top 5 MMOs for eye candy. The only games I can think of that top it are Vanguard and LOTRO, which both sucked. Vanguard badly sucked. EQ2 is starting to show some age though, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a graphical update next Nov for the 5th expansion. To be fair, zones released with newer expansions do boast better eye candy than release zones, but there hasn't been an art revamp of older zones. Players do have the advantage of better hardware being available now than when the game was first released. I think I had a 6800GT than with a P4 2.4C. My current C2D E6600 and 2900XT slaps that like a small dog. ;)

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
1 new race and no new classes?
I like the numerous classes in eq2, the graphics are very good, it runs well, good crafting system, the thing that always get's me is the combat, i've re-subscribed 3 times for varying lengths of time and i don't like it very much....

/Only played a Guardian
//and a Bruiser/Defiler combo
///might try it again 3 boxing

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Searching for something I found this thread....

Remember that the character models are being redesigned in the skeletal system and what ever to accomodate new clothing/armor designs.

To those complaining about combat, don't complain without giving examples of what is better combat. I have only played EQ1, 2, and LOTRO, and all of them require some button pushing and watching for refresh (how would you know you could perform it again without watching it?).

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
What does "rolling a Sarnak" mean, for those of us who've never touched EQ2?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Shit, I remember EQ. I bought the original game (Everquest). Played it for about 5 hrs, hated it, and never played it again. Oddly enough the cd for it still rears its ugly head from time to time when I'm doing spring cleaning.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
Shit, I remember EQ. I bought the original game (Everquest). Played it for about 5 hrs, hated it, and never played it again. Oddly enough the cd for it still rears its ugly head from time to time when I'm doing spring cleaning.

I loved the original EQ and was terribly addicted. The game fell to shambles, however, and lost it's charm.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Dumac
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky

I loved the original EQ and was terribly addicted. The game fell to shambles, however, and lost it's charm.

Originally posted by: Kadarin
What does "rolling a Sarnak" mean, for those of us who've never touched EQ2?

Rolling always refers back to Dungeons and Dragons when you roll dice to create your character.

I don't think the game fell to shambles. Planes of Power did cause stress with all its flagging though.
Once they freed that up a bit, it was ok.
People left for other games or RL and so on my original TP/Bert server there just wasn't anyone to group with enough for me.
I would still be playing it if there were things to do at multiple levels, had time, and had money. I left my paladin stuck on epic 1.5 :(

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
Bear in mind you do not get the free month if you use your old station account to activate ROK...it only applies to 'new' accounts

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Are they going to replace the ugly character models? I don't get why they make the faces so ugly and give you 10000 sliders that only make slight differences.