Epic Games has declared war on Apple

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Apple also blocked a Facebook update that warned users that Apple was getting a 30% cut of any purchases made in the iOS application.

I really hope that the DOJ cracks down on this hard. Requiring a 30% transaction fee is bad enough, but refusing to allow people to disclose that should just be illegal.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I'd like to see the end of Facebook and micro-transactions. But I also don't use Apple products. I feel like I can't lose here.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Now this is an interesting plot twist:

I wonder what Sundar Pichai's train of thought was on this decision. Apple is already getting beat up in the press for being too greedy with it's 30% App Store transaction fee, so Google decides to JOIN them and start enforcing the exact same rules in its Play Store as well?

It's almost like they were worried that they weren't going to be named as a co-defendant in the EU's upcoming anti-trust investigation against the US tech monopolies, and needed to send a signal that "Hey, we can be greedy evil bastards as well!" :)

Nov 8, 2012
Now this is an interesting plot twist:

I wonder what Sundar Pichai's train of thought was on this decision. Apple is already getting beat up in the press for being too greedy with it's 30% App Store transaction fee, so Google decides to JOIN them and start enforcing the exact same rules in its Play Store as well?

It's almost like they were worried that they weren't going to be named as a co-defendant in the EU's upcoming anti-trust investigation against the US tech monopolies, and needed to send a signal that "Hey, we can be greedy evil bastards as well!" :)

I just love the notion that these companies used to push this agenda.

It's in the app store - so you know it's secure! lol nope.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I just love the notion that these companies used to push this agenda.

It's in the app store - so you know it's secure! lol nope.

Yeah, have you seen some of the ad infested crap that's in the iOS and Android App Stores now? If those things passed the app review process, I highly doubt that they're all that concerned about the security or well-being of their users.

Last edited: