Epic buys Bandcamp

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I've used bandcamp a few times to buy/support independant music acts, for $10 i can get the band's album and i believe they get around 85% of that

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Art and music? That's two things most games need. Possibly planning to offer them on the UE Marketplace.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I've heard of Bandcamp, but I still have no idea what it is.
It's a site where you can listen to artists music before purchasing (from a few songs to entire albums). There are physical and/or digital downloads and the artists get 85% (100% on Bandcamp Fridays). Downloads are available in MP3, flac, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, ALAC, Wav, AIFF. I bought somewhere around 6300 albums so far.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Boo, I'm sure they will inevitably screw it up in some fashion.
-I think it's like Patreon but less for art and more for music? I honestly dunno, never heard of them before Epic bought them.
Not really, it's mostly a place to listen to/buy music (and find new music), and the artists get a bigger cut from Bandcamp than any other service. There's not really an ongoing subscription kinda model like Patreon. Some albums may be pay what you like, or pay what you like above X, or just a set price. I've been buying music there since 2012 :)

Reactions: dlerious

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
It's a site where you can listen to artists music before purchasing (from a few songs to entire albums). There are physical and/or digital downloads and the artists get 85% (100% on Bandcamp Fridays). Downloads are available in MP3, flac, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, ALAC, Wav, AIFF. I bought somewhere around 6300 albums so far.

Yeap. And it's where GOOD bands are.
Really a shame if the product changes or deteriorates. Its one of the last places an artist can actually make money off selling digital music

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Boo, I'm sure they will inevitably screw it up in some fashion.

Not really, it's mostly a place to listen to/buy music (and find new music), and the artists get a bigger cut from Bandcamp than any other service. There's not really an ongoing subscription kinda model like Patreon. Some albums may be pay what you like, or pay what you like above X, or just a set price. I've been buying music there since 2012 :)
There are some subscriptions. My longest running are for Ripple Music and Magnetic Eye Records. I get a digital download for all the albums they release - definitely got my moneys worth from Ripple (also offers a discount on physical merch).

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
There are some subscriptions. My longest running are for Ripple Music and Magnetic Eye Records. I get a digital download for all the albums they release - definitely got my moneys worth from Ripple (also offers a discount on physical merch).
Huh, interesting, haven't seen that. Most of the folks I'd subscribe to do already have a Patreon as well :)

Reactions: dlerious