Entry level certifications. and how worthless is A+ Cert.?

CandyKid

Apr 16, 2000
I'm a college student who is looking to get a summer internship. I have very little professional experiance, but am reasonably qualified. So i thought i would take a few certifications. I have prepared for the A+ exam that is based on the 1998 objectives. I could pass that exam if i took it tommorow. However comptia is now offering the exam based on the 2001 objectives. (you can take the old test till march 30). To an employer is a A+ certification based on the 98 objectives going to be worthless. Or is it more general and doesn't really expire like the microsoft certifications are?

I was planning on taking the A+ test next week but if it's gonna be worthless to take it i will not waste my money. So really what i'm asking is... do i study up for the 2001 objectives or just take the exam and be done with it cause it isn't really gonna matter in the long run.

Any other suggestions that would help me get a job would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Just go take it, as long as you can say you're a+ certified. Remember its an entry level exam, you're either have basic competency or you dont, tahts all a+ shows.

CandyKid

Apr 16, 2000
good point. I'm not gonna waste anymore time studying for this certification just to get it under the newer objectives.

Does a MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) look good on resumes. Seems that you only have to pass one exam in an operating system. doesn't seem to hard to do since i know 2k very well.

Any advice as far as a MCP

kohutek

Nov 29, 2000
the a+ cert is pretty lame, and most places only use it to gauge that you aren't a retard, or barking up the wrong job-tree.

as for microsoft certifications ... from what I've seen, most places like them. not *a lot*, but the think highly of them [despite how abused they can be].

My opinion [and what I'm doing] ... get your mcp or mcse for win2k, get your ccna / ccda, then eventually move on and get a ccnp/ccie or ccda/ccdp. Oh, and while you're there, finish your degree.

heh
randal