Enter Your BCS Predictions: Win and Spread *With Polls*

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
It's all cool, mpitts. Debates like this will happen as long as the current BCS system is still around. Personally, I'm happy with Florida playing OSU. I'm much more interested in an interconference match-up than a conference rematch simply because I think it will reveal where the conferences are overall compared to one another at the end of the year. If UM, OSU, and Wisconsin all win their bowls I'd be perfectly fine with having all three of them in the top 5 and I'll freely admit I was wrong about the Big Ten. But I want it proven on the field.

[edit] BTW, when I was talking about the Big Ten being weak, I only meant this year. Some of their teams that are traditionally good like Penn State, Iowa, and Purdue just don't seem to have much this year. My comments shouldn't be taken as a rant against the Big Ten from a historical perspective.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
(1) Ohio State - by 14+ - This game might be close early, but I just don't think Florida (or anyone else) can hang with OSU.

(2) Michigan - by 7 - This one depends on wether USC can handle Michigans pass rush which I doubt ... if they can it could go the other way.

(3) LSU - by 14+ - ND is extremely over-rated & the reverse is true of LSU this year.

(4) Louisville - by 7 -Wake may turn this one into an interesting game but I think LV's offense is a lot better.

(5) Boise State - by 7 - Just going on a hunch with this one since I havn't really watched either team this year.

(6) Arkansas - Too close to call -This looks to be the best matchup of all the bowls this year & should be a very tight game.

herbiehancock

May 11, 2006
Ohio State by 14+

Michigan by 14+, but USC can either score points or not (so either a close game or a blow out)

LSU by 14+

Wake Forest by 3

Boise State by 3

Arkansas by 7

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Captante
(1) Ohio State - by 14+ - This game might be close early, but I just don't think Florida (or anyone else) can hang with OSU.

(2) Michigan - by 7 - This one depends on wether USC can handle Michigans pass rush which I doubt ... if they can it could go the other way.

(3) LSU - by 14+ - ND is extremely over-rated & the reverse is true of LSU this year.

(4) Louisville - by 7 -Wake may turn this one into an interesting game but I think LV's offense is a lot better.

(5) Boise State - by 7 - Just going on a hunch with this one since I havn't really watched either team this year.

(6) Arkansas - Too close to call -This looks to be the best matchup of all the bowls this year & should be a very tight game.
Yup you read my mind man.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Ohio State v. Florida - OSU by 14+ - Ohio State may score every time they get the ball. Florida makes too many mistakes and has a very inefficient offense. Florida is going to have to play a perfect in all facets of the game and hope for OSU mistakes. 42-21 OSU.

Michigan v. USC - Michigan by 7+ - Michigan is just as capable of scoring as USC. USC's strength lies in the passing game. Michigan's defensive weakness lies in the secondary. As long as Michigan's pass rush gets to Booty, which I believe they will, then Michigan should win by 10. I love this matchup. All of the voters who put USC in front of Michigan only because USC beat ND will hopefully get some perspective on what their responsibility really is. 31-21 Michigan

Notre Dame v. LSU - LSU by 3+- Everyone in the world is picking LSU in this game. LSU is probably the most talented team in the SEC but they are VERY prone to mistakes. Florida only beat them because they turned the ball over five times. I wouldn't be surprised if this game was 34-31 or something like that. ND's D is horrible, but I don't trust Jamarcus Russell in a big game.

Louisville v. Wake Forest - Louisville by 14+ - Wake is a great story, but the ACC sucked this year. Brohm will light it up and start his Heisman campaign for next year. Louisville 45-27

Boise Stave v. Oklahoma - Oklahoma by 14+ - Sorry, but Boise State does not have near the athletes that Oklahoma does at every position. Let's not forget that Oklahoma is one set of bad calls away from being a one-loss team. They should have beaten Orgeon in Autzen, which is not a easy task at all. Oklahoma 38-24

Arkansas v. Wisconsin - Too Close to Call - This is the best matchup of all. Hill is a very good running back, but McFadden is Barry Sanders/Bo Jackson-esque. Wisconsin's passing game is SO much better than Arkansas, plus I feel their defense is SLIGHTLY better. Wisconsin has not had that many difficult games, but they are not prone to the same mistakes that I have seen Arkansas make all year. I only lean towards Arkansas because I have seen them play more this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if this game came down to a last second kick. I'll say Arkansas 27-26.

PinmasterJay

Jun 12, 2005
Florida vs. Ohio State - OSU by 14+ - Sorry but Florida is just about the sloppiest team to ever make a BCS Championship Game.

Michigan
vs. USC - Michigan by 7+ - Probably going to be the best of the BCS games, although I see Michigan winning by a touchdown or so....

LSU vs. Notre Dame - LSU by 7+ - Notre Dame's defense is terrible, but I also don't see LSU running up the score much...

Louisville vs. Wake Forest - Louisville by 7+ - I see Brohm leading Louisville past the weak ACC's Wake Forest

Boise State vs. Oklahoma - Oklahoma by 7+ - Adrian Peterson should be back to help the more athletic Sooners over the Broncos

Arkansas vs. Wisconsin - Wisconsin by 3+ - I think this will be the best of all the bowl games, which is great, because I will be there :) Wisconsin has an edge at QB with almost all other areas of the game evenly matched. BADGERS IN ORLANDO FOR 2ND STRAIGHT YEAR!!!

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
OSU - Florida : Too close to call. I know a lot of people are fascinated by OSU's offense but I have a lot of confidence in the Gators to slow them down.

Michigan - USC : Too close to call. It will depend on which USC quarterback decides to show up.

LSU - Notre Dame : LSU by 14+. Probably the most talented team in the country and would be my choice of SEC teams to play OSU if we actually had a chance to choose.

Louisville - Wake Forest : Wake Forest will surprise some people here. The ACC will show the Big East that the reason teams in that league are able to excel is because they took all of the good ones away from them.

Boise State vs. Oklahoma - Adrian Peterson runs wild. I have no idea who will win this game but I hope Boise wins big just because I hate the BCS. :)

Arkansas vs. Wisconsin - Arkansas 14+ - Wisconsin has not won a game this season against anyone that matters. They played 1 top 25 team and got beat down. They are only ranked as high as they are because the mid-bottom half of their conference is weak and they did not have to play OSU. Let's not forget the laughable non-conference opponents. McFadden will welcome Wisconsin to Orlando very early. ;)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Thraxen
It's all cool, mpitts. Debates like this will happen as long as the current BCS system is still around. Personally, I'm happy with Florida playing OSU. I'm much more interested in an interconference match-up than a conference rematch simply because I think it will reveal where the conferences are overall compared to one another at the end of the year. If UM, OSU, and Wisconsin all win their bowls I'd be perfectly fine with having all three of them in the top 5 and I'll freely admit I was wrong about the Big Ten. But I want it proven on the field.

[edit] BTW, when I was talking about the Big Ten being weak, I only meant this year. Some of their teams that are traditionally good like Penn State, Iowa, and Purdue just don't seem to have much this year. My comments shouldn't be taken as a rant against the Big Ten from a historical perspective.

Let us not forget that the Big 10 schedule is funny this year. Teams like Purdue have inflated records because they did not play Michigan or OSU. How does that even happen? At least in conferences like the SEC you know that your mid-lower teams are going to play at least one or two teams of note because of the divisional structure.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
OSU - Florida : Too close to call. I know a lot of people are fascinated by OSU's offense but I have a lot of confidence in the Gators to slow them down.

Michigan - USC : Too close to call. It will depend on which USC quarterback decides to show up.

LSU - Notre Dame : LSU by 14+. Probably the most talented team in the country and would be my choice of SEC teams to play OSU if we actually had a chance to choose.

Louisville - Wake Forest : Wake Forest will surprise some people here. The ACC will show the Big East that the reason teams in that league are able to excel is because they took all of the good ones away from them.

Boise State vs. Oklahoma - Adrian Peterson runs wild. I have no idea who will win this game but I hope Boise wins big just because I hate the BCS. :)

Arkansas vs. Wisconsin - Arkansas 14+ - Wisconsin has not won a game this season against anyone that matters. They played 1 top 25 team and got beat down. They are only ranked as high as they are because the mid-bottom half of their conference is weak and they did not have to play OSU. Let's not forget the laughable non-conference opponents. McFadden will welcome Wisconsin to Orlando very early. ;)

Here is what I got from your post:

SEC rules

Michigan is not as good as everyone thinks.

BTW, Adrian Peterson is not even playing in the bowl game. He has been out for two months.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Thraxen

Let us not forget that the Big 10 schedule is funny this year. Teams like Purdue have inflated records because they did not play Michigan or OSU. How does that even happen? At least in conferences like the SEC you know that your mid-lower teams are going to play at least one or two teams of note because of the divisional structure.

Which team do you think is better: Purdue or Alabama?

AdvancedRobotics

Jul 30, 2002
I got a fever, and the only thing that can cure it is some VITAMIN C!

Can't wait for the orange bowl. Going down right after Christmas :)

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: mpitts

SEC rules

BTW, Adrian Peterson is not even playing in the bowl game. He has been out for two months.

I think he's in for a pretty big reality check.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

SEC rules

SEC Rules is a matter of opinion so I will skip that one.

As for Michigian, the only grounds we have for comparison between USC and Michigan is the Notre Dame game. Both teams destroyed ND. Therefore, it is too close to call and a great example of 'why they play the game on the field'.

I thought Adrian Peterson was coming back for the bowl game. Are you certain he is not playing?

As for Alabama vs. Purdue I only have one way to compare them. Kind of funny that this is even available to me so I can dodge your question. ;)

Alabama 25 Hawaii 17 (WIN)
Purdue 35 Hawaii 42 (LOSS)

I guess I could also pull out the ranked opponents argument. Both lost all games to ranked opponents (excluding Hawaii). Purdue was not even close in any of their games whereas Alabama was competitive in 3/5 of their games against ranked opponents.

That's the sad thing about college football. The schedules are so different that you have no way of knowing unless the teams actually play one another or enough common opponents to make a true judgement based on more fact than opinion.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000

SEC rules

As for Michigian, the only grounds we have for comparison between USC and Michigan is the Notre Dame game. Both teams destroyed ND. Therefore, it is too close to call and a great example of 'why they play the game on the field'.

I thought Adrian Peterson was coming back for the bowl game. Are you certain he is not playing?

As for Alabama vs. Purdue I only have one way to compare them. Kind of funny that this is even available to me so I can dodge your question. ;)

I guess I could also pull out the ranked opponents argument. Both lost all games to ranked opponents (excluding Hawaii). Purdue was not even close in any of their games whereas Alabama was competitive in 3/5 of their games against ranked opponents.

That's the sad thing about college football. The schedules are so different that you have no way of knowing unless the teams actually play one another or enough common opponents to make a true judgement based on more fact than opinion.

So then a 27-7 win would be much more impressive over a 25-19 win, right?

BTW, go look at the ND games against USC and Michigan. You will see that Michigan destroyed Notre Dame, meanwhile USC turned it over and gave up over 400 yards to ND. Michigan was in Quinn's face all game, and sacked him a bunch.

We saw what UCLA's D-line could do to USC's O-line. Well, Michigan's front seven is the best in college football. They are going to be knocking Booty down all day.

And it's OK.. You can come out and say that you are an SEC homer. :) I just can't wait until the bowl games so people can see how overrated the teams from the SEC are this year. There isn't a single dominant offense or defense in the SEC. Tennessee had the best passing game, Arkansas the best running game and Florida the best defense. But Tennessee's D was not good, Arkansas can't pass their way out of a paper bag and Florida struggles on offense.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

SEC rules

BTW, go look at the ND games against USC and Michigan. You will see that Michigan destroyed Notre Dame, meanwhile USC turned it over and gave up over 400 yards to ND. Michigan was in Quinn's face all game, and sacked him a bunch.

We saw what UCLA's D-line could do to USC's O-line. Well, Michigan's front seven is the best in college football. They are going to be knocking Booty down all day.

And it's OK.. You can come out and say that you are an SEC homer. :) I just can't wait until the bowl games so people can see how overrated the teams from the SEC are this year. There isn't a single dominant offense or defense in the SEC. Tennessee had the best passing game, Arkansas the best running game and Florida the best defense. But Tennessee's D was not good, Arkansas can't pass their way out of a paper bag and Florida struggles on offense.

You lost me at 27-7 win and I'm too tired to go look it up. :p

PinmasterJay

Jun 12, 2005

LOL I'd worry about scoring 14 points first with Arkansas passing game.

Oh and by the way we have been beating OSU lately so you could say they are lucky they didn't have to play us ;)

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: PinmasterJay

LOL I'd worry about scoring 14 points first with Arkansas passing game.

Arkansas averages 30.0 a game, so 14 will be no problem.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001

You lost me at 27-7 win and I'm too tired to go look it up. :p

He's talking about Michigan's and Florida's games against Vanderbilt. Michigan won 27-7. Coincidentally, I just finished reading Stewart Mandel's mail bag at Si.com just before coming here and he addressed this very issue:

In the great debate, why did no one look up common opponents? One word: Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt. Which is a better victory, 27-7 (Michigan) or 25-19 (Florida)?
--William Riedel, Cincinnati

Ah yes, the Vanderbilt factor. I'm sure they'll be adding that to the BCS formula next year.

Another example of how scores don't always tell the whole story. How is that a remotely accurate measuring stick when the Commodores played Michigan the first week of the season, in Ann Arbor, with a quarterback making his first career start while facing Florida at home more than two months later? You know what else Vanderbilt did this season? It beat Georgia. Four weeks later the Dawgs went and crushed Auburn. Using your rationale, the 4-8 'Dores ought to be playing in that Cotton Bowl instead of the 10-2 Tigers.

Originally posted by: PinmasterJay
I am excited to go to the game....especially if this guy shows up :D

Bubba Hog

You going to the game? I'll be making the trip as well. Though I imagine you'll be sitting in a different section :)

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Next years team to get the BCS snub: Texas. Look at their 2007 schedule.. come on Mack Brown.. how about playing some out of conference competition. Arkansas St...easy there!

09/01 Arkansas State
09/08 TCU
09/15 at Central Florida
09/22 RICE
09/29 KANSAS STATE
10/06 OKLAHOMA (Dallas)
10/13 at Iowa State
10/20 Baylor
10/27 NEBRASKA
11/03 at Oklahoma State
11/10 TEXAS TECH
11/23 at Texas A&M

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
Next years team to get the BCS snub: Texas. Look at their 2007 schedule.. come on Mack Brown.. how about playing some out of conference competition. Arkansas St...easy there!

09/01 Arkansas State
09/08 TCU
09/15 at Central Florida
09/22 RICE
09/29 KANSAS STATE
10/06 OKLAHOMA (Dallas)
10/13 at Iowa State
10/20 Baylor
10/27 NEBRASKA
11/03 at Oklahoma State
11/10 TEXAS TECH
11/23 at Texas A&M

The same Arkansas State team that Auburn played this year, along with Buffalo, Washington State and Tulane.

And I don't blame Texas. They just had a difficult home / home with Ohio State. The fact is that most big name teams don't play big out of conference games.

ZeroEffect

Apr 25, 2000
Florida has more of a chance to win this game than most of you think.
It's strength is it's defense. Ohio State's long layoff is a negative for them.
January 8th? what a joke. I hope it's a good game and everyone gets
entertained.

... and Florida wins :) GO GATORS!!!