Ensuring High Quality Image

sideshow23bob

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
I'm considering building an HTPC as connecting my PC laptop(1080p screen with Nvidia GT425M) to my TV via HDMI results in a grainy image, while my PS3 shows a crystal clear image when connected via HDMI. I don't understand why the quality is so much worse coming from my PC.

Can anybody help me determine what component or cable I would need to mirror the crisp HD picture I now get from my PS3 comes via my next computer solution? Should I not use an HDMI connection even though it works perfectly well for the console?

Thanks for your help.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
A good HDMI connection should be all you need. The PS3 interface and menu's may not be 1080p, so they may look "clearer" than a computer desktop at 1080p on your TV. You may have other issues.

Are you sure the HDMI cable is good? Are you sure you're in 1080p? What TV?

Sep 12, 2004
Check the video settings on your laptop to insure it is actually outputting a 1080p signal to your TV. When I was using an nVidia card it would default to 1080i. Also check your TV and be sure it is set to 1:1 pixel mapping for the input source. The setting for that can vary by name from brand to brand. For example, on Samsung TVs it is called "Just Scan."

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
The only errors you should get with an HDMI cable is green patches if the cable isn't good enough as it only sends digital signal.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Check the video settings on your laptop to insure it is actually outputting a 1080p signal to your TV.

Check both the settings on your computer and on the TV... I had to fiddle with settings on both before I got a proper picture on my 1080p TV. Before, when I was using the IGPU on my G620 chip, the output video settings would default every time I restarted it... the video card fixed that.

sideshow23bob

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Thanks everyone. I did figure out that the Intel iGPU is the one controlling HDMI, not my NVidia Card, and confirmed it's outputting at 1080P. I did change the Frequency to 60Hz from 59Hz. Also on my TV (Sharp LC32GP2U), I can't seem to find a setting on the TV that confirms it's matching pixel for pixel, but the brief changes I made does make it seem a bit better than it was before.

Last edited:

monkey333

Apr 20, 2007
I could be wrong, but for htpc, a combo CPU/gpu is the way for me, other than that I'm going nvidia for desktop/gaming. The htpc is awesome for HD playback.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Thanks everyone. I did figure out that the Intel iGPU is the one controlling HDMI, not my NVidia Card, and confirmed it's outputting at 1080P. I did change the Frequency to 60Hz from 59Hz. Also on my TV (Sharp LC32GP2U), I can't seem to find a setting on the TV that confirms it's matching pixel for pixel, but the brief changes I made does make it seem a bit better than it was before.

Very good! It's a little tricky getting it set correctly to use a discrete GPU... It took me about 5 tries when I installed my HD6450 last week... but I'm an idiot. :p

Most 60Hz TVs are actually 59Hz TVs... the true refresh frequency is something like 59.8Hz... hence the 59Hz default setting. I don't know if it really makes any difference.

Sep 12, 2004
The Pixel mapping setting on your TV can be set by pressing the View button on your remote and selecting Dot By Dot on the menu. Make sure you have the HTPC on because it can only be set when a 1080i or 1080p picture is on the screen.

As far as 59Hz or 60Hz, there is no difference. Both settings result in an identical refresh rate. The only reason they are both there in the driver settings is for EDID compatibility reasons.