enough about florida, whats with oregon?

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
ok, so florida had to recount their votes. whats oregons excuse, the fact that they arent pivotal anymore?

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
No one cares about Oregon. With all the uselessness they have in this election (they're just as useless as all the others with 9 or less votes, but the other useless states counted quicker so their uselessness wasn't so apparent), I can't wait to see their voting turnout rates in 4 yrs.

Futuramatic

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Naw.. something else is amiss in Oregon. they had 48% of the vote counted last night 2 hours after the polls closed.. and its all mail-in (if I am not mistaken). Why did it take this long to get the rest done?

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I am in Oregon, and I am baffled. We had mail-in ballots that are being counted by computer. For some reason (broken computer?), almost none got counted today (only about 5%) and the vote is close enough here that they can't call it yet.

Pretender, that's a pretty cynical view! We almost always "don't matter" with all the east coast tallied before our polls even close, but they expected 80-85% turnout this year. And this year, 7 votes did matter. If Bush ends up with 271, then ANY state going the other way would have changed matters.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I realize that! But if it ends up 271-267 or something, then one state going the other way would have changed things.

Champo41

May 11, 2000

<< then one state going the other way would have changed things >>

Hey you figured it out! And if some other state went voted the other way, it'd change things too!

Where exactly does Oregon fit into this statement?

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Actually, alot of those smaller states with the less number of electoral votes are what kept Bush in the running. Every state counts to a degree, unfortunately for Oregon though, right now their votes don't mean anything.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I think the delay is in authenticating the last votes. Since a lot of ballots were dropped off on the 7th, the elections comission is probably still checking the sigs on some of them. As for our votes; yes, we didn't count for much this year. It's all part of the penelty for being a smaller west-coast state.:(