English help:TENSE. CAME or HAD COME

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
I'm doing my B-school ethics essay (for admissions) and the last sentence looks funny to me. I think it needs a comma somewhere but I'm not sure.

This essay is VERY important to me. PLEASE give me a hand.

Sentence for review:

When it was time for lunch, I came to the conclusion that...

or

When it was time for lunch, I had come to the conclusion that...

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
It's wrong.

How about:

At lunch I realized the information I received on the job put me in an awkward position, and that it would be unethical for me to make any industry related investments.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
how about:

At lunch I realized the information I receive on the job puts me in an awkward position and that it would be unethical for me to make any industry related investments.

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
Originally posted by: gotsmack
how about:

At lunch I realized the information I receive on the job puts me in an awkward position and that it would be unethical for me to make any industry related investments.

i'm not sure you need to include all that information about "at lunch"... just say something like "I know investments in the industry is not ethical due to the disclosure of information.", and just change that into the tense you require for your essay

Alphazero

Golden Member
May 9, 2002

When it was time for lunch, [comma after time expression] I had come to the conclusion, [optional comma before and after clause] that because of the information that I would be exposed to as a result of my job, it would not be fair for me to make any investments in the industry.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
In the essay I talk about my morning and the thoughts going through my head. So I thought it would be good to give the time frame it happened under.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
how about:

At lunch I realized that the information I receive on the job puts me in an awkward position and that it would be unethical for me to make any defense industry related investments.

I don't know if I should use UNETHICAL or NOT FAIR.

my essay starts out with:

If I had to choose one situation in my life that would be used to show the quality of my ethical character, it would be ..

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
I can't help it. I studied for the GMAT until my brain was fried now I can't stop writing like this for my essays.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm doing my B-school ethics essay (for admissions) and the last sentence looks funny to me. I think it needs a comma somewhere but I'm not sure.

Sentence for review:

When it was time for lunch I had come to the conclusion that because of the information I would be exposed to as a result of my job, it would not be fair for me to make any investments in the industry.

Well just looking at the original sentence, how about using "came" instead of "had come"?

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
I'm going with :

When it was time for lunch, I had come to the conclusion that because of the information that I would be exposed to as a result of my job, it would not be fair for me to make any investments in the industry.

unless someone knows better.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: fr

Sentence for review:

When it was time for lunch I had come to the conclusion that because of the information I would be exposed to as a result of my job, it would not be fair for me to make any investments in the industry.

Well just looking at the original sentence, how about using "came" instead of "had come"?

so it is:
When it was time for lunch, I came to the conclusion that...

should it be came or had come

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
It looks like too much info to cram into one sentence. Almost a run on. Try splitting it up.

Example:

During lunch, I realized that the information I receive on the job puts me in an awkward position; It would be unethical for me to make any industry related investments.

*English professors like the proper use of a semi colon* ;)

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: mcurphy
It looks like too much info to cram into one sentence. Almost a run on. Try splitting it up.

Example:

During lunch, I realized that the information I receive on the job puts me in an awkward position; It would be unethical for me to make any industry related investments.

That is very good. Thanks.

I'm going to use that unless something better comes along.

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Your welcome...I've been waiting for a good time to get my hundredth post in! :D