engines that use timing chain

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Timing belt replacements are expensive... and timing chains don't usually require much maintenance for hte life of the engine. Does anyone know of a compilation of a list of engines that use timing chains? I know most Nissans use timing chains but that's about it

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Baked
You must drive a lot if 60K interval hurts your wallet.

400-600 dollars every 90k miles... I would rather not spend that. It's not *that* expensive but it's still money I'd rather spend elsewhere.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
Just because you have a chain doesn't mean the chain or guides wont wear out.

But i understand your point its not every 60-105k that you need to replace it. 60k for most people is 3 years $600-900 is not that bad of a price to spend, its like tires for the most part. Yea some people with chains dont have to pay for it. I wouldn't go away or towards a car based off it they had a timing chain or not.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000

I'd hit that in under two years.

As for the original question, my Fit has a chain.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
FYI, chains require replacement at some point as well and they aren't failure proof either.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: melchoir
All of the LSx motors from GM.
I like your thinking.

But they're GM and their timing chains aren't reliable even if they're exactly the same ones in a Honda or Toyota.

/LOIUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: melchoir
All of the LSx motors from GM.
I like your thinking.

But they're GM and their timing chains aren't reliable even if they're exactly the same ones in a Honda or Toyota.

/LOIUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

he hasn't even posted in this thread, what the hell is your problem?

Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
k24

for those not in the know, the k engine is the 4 cyl engine used in honda accords, crv and civics and probably some other cars

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Ford mod motors (4.6/5.4) are OHC with timing chains.

You still have maintenance with timing chains and it's even more expensive. Hydraulic tensioners and guides are the most common culprits, esp on OHC engines where the chains are extremely long. They make nerve wrecking ticking and rattling noises when they are going out. You have to replace the sprockets and chains at the same time, esp if the sprockets have plastic teeth.

Why don't you just learn to do timing belts yourself and save some cash? It's not a difficult job, just annoying. Most of the cost to have someone else do it is labor. It's billed for several hours even though you can do it yourself in an an hour or two if you've done it before. You'll learn something and get a better sense of pride in your ride.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

Yes, but why spend $500 you don't need to? I can afford to do it but all things being equal I would really prefer not to spend it.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: evident

He hasn't posted because he's on a little vacation.

I still wanna hug that mod.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Squisher
Originally posted by: evident

He hasn't posted because he's on a little vacation.

I still wanna hug that mod.

hope hes on a long vacation, even though i like hondas and toyotas he's still a fucking moron

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Nissan KA series did. Also had some annoying tensioner issues associated with it. If your 240SX sounds like a marble rolling around in a tin can you might wanna check them out.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: F1N3ST
.83 Cents a mile if replacing at 60k. D:

Good thing Verizon does not replace them because it would cost $49,800! :laugh:

REF