Engineers, Quality Control, and thinking people - a dilemma

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ducci
Simple scenario:

Customer gives specs for a product.
One particular spec is for a voltage.
Spec states "the voltage's acceptable values are -1.0V, -1.1V, -1.2V"

We sent the product to QC and got back a reading of -0.97

Does it pass or fail?

Head of engineering says pass. Head of quality says fail.

Head engineer states the significant digit argument. The spec said -1.0, so in that case -0.97 = -1.0, so it is within spec and passes.
Head of quality says no, we measure to 10x precision of the spec, if it falls below that then it is a fail.

Product needs to ship soon or get delayed, so it's very heated.

What do you guys think?

I think its time to consult with the customer, review specs standards, and figure out whether the QC trumps Eng or vice versa

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well if the requirement says -01.0 then it depends what the allowance is for a variance. For instance on a computer power supply variance may be around 5% which is according to the specifications. So if the -1.0 has a value to the first decimal point then that reading is only accurate to 1/2 of the next decimal point or ".05" so it may be within specifications. It depends if the specs allow for variance and how much they allow for variance. You must realize that with electrical current there will be some variance. The Ideal reading should be above the minimum and below the maximum or around "-1.1".

So it really is a matter of how sensitive this piece of equipment is to the specification. Engineers tend to write specs that are sometimes giving allowance to around 200% of what is needed. They tend to expect fluctuations in requirements. That is why equipment can often be run beyond the redline of a maximum. The figure is only .03 off from the quoted amount.

How accurate was your testing equipment? The more specific the requirement the more sensitive the testing equipment has to be. You have to use some of the current to get a reading for the test. Even a volt meter uses electricity. We are talking about a miniscule amount.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
The QC is absolutely correct. You have the measure 10 times more accurately.

I'm a test engineer, and have three times rejected things because the readings were in spec, but not "right". Once, after the unit was opened, there was a loose cable that would have failed during vibration test. In another case, there was a flaky regulator in a subcontractor's part, that would have failed shortly after it was fielded. The third was because the DMM had a low battery, and so the reading it was giving was not correct. In all cases, the company saved money because I said something.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: TBone48
I vote fail. If your QC dept. has to certify that the product falls within a stated specification they have to fail it if it doesn't. That doesn't mean they won't be overruled, but the certification would have to detail the decision. My department will approve product that doesn't meet specification if we get approval from the customer beforehand. Then we document it on our certification.

:thumbsup:

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
-0.97 is pretty damn close to -1.0 (within +/- 5%)

And, the specs say -1.0, -1.1, -1.2.. That does NOT mean a range of -1.0 to -1.2.. Otherwise, you could say -1.15 would pass while -0.97 would fail, which seems to me would be against the intention of the original specification.

IMO, most companies would want the lowest voltage possible for a working part that is within their spec. So, I would say -0.97 is almost spot-on.

PASS

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Based on the info you've provided, out of spec and QC is right IMO. If I were the customer, I would reject the parts if testing showed the same results you're getting.

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
Since I don't know the details, I'm not seeing why this is a debate when they could just ask the customer like I originally said.

But, what I am curious about is, IF they do decide to pass the product, what is the head engineer's position on disclosing this QC information to the customer?

To me, it sounds like he wants to sweep it under the rug and just give it a "pass" rating. Whatever your opinion is on the question of pass/fail, I don't see how anyone could agree with not disclosing this information to the customer.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
As a civil, that is fine and dandy since none of us can get anything that precise anyways;).

Guessing that's not ok for electric...

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Obviously depending how critical getting the exact voltage. For the most part a .97V and 1V is the same, most electronic parts tolerate +-.03 V without any performance differences.

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
I would say .03 difference is acceptable if the product functions as it should. I can't see it being dead-on all the time, but I'm not an electrical engineer (but engineering related).

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Head of quality says no, we measure to 10x precision of the spec, if it falls below that then it is a fail.

I certainly hope you guys don't make precision components, then. 10x precision of the spec can get really expensive, really fast, and for no good reason.

The engineer is right that this is within the spec. Head of QC is right that the customer is probably a moron who doesn't realize that 1.0 = 0.95 to 1.04.

Solution is obviously to call the customer and ask for tolerances. Is the actual tolerance +-.1 (in which case .97 gets rounded and is OK), or is it +-.10 (In which case they really should have specified)?

It is standard QC process to measure 10x the required precision. It is also company policy to do so, I believe that is actually the ISO standard.

No kidding? So if someone asks you to machine something to 1.00 inches (+-5 thousands is a very standard tolerance for machining), you'll do it to 1.000 (+-5 ten thousands is doable, but not nearly as much of a piece of cake)?

Originally posted by: Specop 007
It is not for something basic like a TV remote - it is actually a military device.

Ouch. Ship an out of spec part on a .mil contract?

Give it a shot, see what happens. ;)

*cough* Osprey *cough*

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I say head of engineer is right.

I say head of QC fails it because it doesn't meet the company's high product standards.

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: jagec

It is standard QC process to measure 10x the required precision. It is also company policy to do so, I believe that is actually the ISO standard.

No kidding? So if someone asks you to machine something to 1.00 inches (+-5 thousands is a very standard tolerance for machining), you'll do it to 1.000 (+-5 ten thousands is doable, but not nearly as much of a piece of cake)?

Uhh, he said MEASURE to 10x, which is very standard, not produce the part to 10x the spec tolerances.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Indolent

Uhh, he said MEASURE to 10x, which is very standard, not produce the part to 10x the spec tolerances.

Well they DID measure to 10x the standard. Standard is +-.1V, they measured to .01V. Why bother measuring to 10x the standard if you have to round anyway?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
The -1.0V is actually the low-end of the customer required tolerance. However, we previously inquired to the customer and our own ENG department agreed that -1.0V was adequate.

That's not the problem. It's still bad practice to aim for the edge of a range.

Let's say you have to hit a 12" diameter target from 15 yards. Do you aim for the very edge or do you aim for the center? You aim for the center, that gives you much more margin for error.

Your design team aimed for the edge of the spec and got burned. If they had only aimed for -1.1 volts initially there would not be a disagreement now.

The part fails.

ZV

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

Let's say you have to hit a 12" diameter target from 15 yards. Do you aim for the very edge or do you aim for the center? You aim for the center, that gives you much more margin for error.

Your design team aimed for the edge of the spec and got burned. If they had only aimed for -1.1 volts initially there would not be a disagreement now.

The part fails.

I agree with this... especially if it's part of a requirement to meet the specs :eek:.

But it's not like government projects usually work all that well anyway ;).

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Indolent

Well they DID measure to 10x the standard. Standard is +-.1V, they measured to .01V. Why bother measuring to 10x the standard if you have to round anyway?

I understood your question as asking if they would produce the part 10x the spec precision. I can't answer and have no idea why they would measure to 10x and then round. It sounds dumb to me too.

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com
It is not for something basic like a TV remote - it is actually a military device.

Funny, I was just thinking ask the engineer if he would feel confident putting that "device" in his son or daughter's hands during a life-threatening situation...

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com
The -1.0V is actually the low-end of the customer required tolerance. However, we previously inquired to the customer and our own ENG department agreed that -1.0V was adequate.

The part fails.

ZV

So a bit of an update, I guess. I inquired further about this issue, since as I mentioned before it is not my project and anything I've said to this point has been hearsay, really.

The spec was "-1.0V, -1.1V,-1.2V." That is to say, the test point can see any of those 3 voltages at a given time for a given function. So the -1.0V was not "aiming for the edge," it was aiming for 1 of 3 centers.

As far as the tolerances go, I have yet to get a straight answer, and I haven't seen the exact spec myself, so I don't know. I'll ask about it more Monday. Typically there is a +/- 5% or whatever range on the spec, but it could very well be that the spec didn't state any acceptable range, just a set voltage. Regardless of the tolerance, there will always be rounding - so I see it more as a company policy problem than a customer spec problem.

I didn't work today (have a flex day every other Friday), so I don't know the final result of whether or not it shipped or got delayed, but they were still arguing over it yesterday.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ITJunkie

Funny, I was just thinking ask the engineer if he would feel confident putting that "device" in his son or daughter's hands during a life-threatening situation...

See my first post on page 2 :)

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005

The part fails.

ZV

So a bit of an update, I guess. I inquired further about this issue, since as I mentioned before it is not my project and anything I've said to this point has been hearsay, really.

The spec was "-1.0V, -1.1V,-1.2V." That is to say, the test point can see any of those 3 voltages at a given time for a given function. So the -1.0V was not "aiming for the edge," it was aiming for 1 of 3 centers.

As far as the tolerances go, I have yet to get a straight answer, and I haven't seen the exact spec myself, so I don't know. I'll ask about it more Monday. Typically there is a +/- 5% or whatever range on the spec, but it could very well be that the spec didn't state any acceptable range, just a set voltage. Regardless of the tolerance, there will always be rounding - so I see it more as a company policy problem than a customer spec problem.

I didn't work today (have a flex day every other Friday), so I don't know the final result of whether or not it shipped or got delayed, but they were still arguing over it yesterday.

5% puts it at -0.95 to -1.05. It passes.