engine Swap... [Celica lovers, come in!]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jamestl

Sep 10, 2000

<< black, top right
I found that in some site....

and yeah, Jamestl, can you give me a link to your pics? :)
>>

the link i posted includes an engine pic and since it's in your car, it's be much better than the camry pic.

btw, unless you're planning on getting a FMIC, you should also need a new hood to keep the air/water IC cool.

Jamestl

Sep 10, 2000

<< i saw an AllTrac (wait, does All Trac have to have 3S-GTE engine?) in L.A. area, it was hella beat up though... the sides were all scratched up... and yeah, I saw more Ferrari than that... >>

every All-trac Celicas had a 3S-GTE engine.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
hhehe... thanks James, but i highly doubt i will be able to pay for all this...

the hood alone would cost 500 bucks... (which I wanted to do anyways...)

Jamestl

Sep 10, 2000
Young grasshopper, you have much to learn in the automotive world...;)

N20 = nitrous oxide. also know as juice, NOS (the brand name), etc...

Jamestl

Sep 10, 2000

<< since your a Ca resident forget it the smog laws are soooo restrictive here...you'll have to replace it w/ the exact motor the car was built with (unless it's a 72' model or earlier) or rebuild the old one...and make sure the engine will pass smog otherwise, in either case or you'll be screwed >>

actually, that is incorrect. you have to replace a motor from that year OR younger (newer). that's why Honda motor swaps are so easy. You take a 1990 CRX and put in a B18C from a younger GS-R. 2000lbs and 170hp... you do the math.

earthman

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
It would be easier to drop in a Chevy small block with an automatic on it than to do what you want to do, and probably cheaper. You wouldn't need electronics at all, you would only need to fab the engine mounts and driveshaft. It fits in a Vega, it would probably fit in a Celica.
Trying to put a late model engine in an earlier car is very difficult, and usually requires consulting experts to find out how to hook up the electronics properly, what to modify, what fits, etc.
Also, this kind of modification is illegal and if you live in a state that does inspections your ride may come to a quick end.

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
note from a girl: your Celica is gorgeous and you are right about the newer models being ugly. So stay with your current body (car). I have a ...ahem... '85 Celica and before that a '77