engine Swap... [Celica lovers, come in!]

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
well, I got the last generation (94-99) Celica (1.8Liter 108hp) and want to slap in the new GT (2.0 Liter) engine.. you think it will be compatible?

how bout any l4 or V6 engine in general? (I know there has to be enough physical space under the hood, so I know I won't be able to fit a 5.0 Liter Mustang engine)

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Attempting to change the motor in any new car is opening Pandoras Box.

The major obstacle to overcome is the computer and electronics, once you get past that, all you have is the biggest headache of your life.

And even considering anything besides a motor that was offered in the car from the factory is nearly a reason to to be committed by your family.....really.

Kurupshin

Jun 17, 2001
As my friend says

"You can do anything to car, as long as you have the money for it"

So the answer is yes. But is it feasible? Most likely not. You probably would be better off buying a new car than doing what you are planning on doing, unless you are a real motorhead.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
If you are serious about an engine swap, get the twin turbo 3S-GTE engine from the Japanese Celica. It came on your car as a factory option in Japan, which means most electronics are probably already compatible.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Errr...understeer!

Hey, one thing you can always do is buy an old beetle, tow it to Mexico and they'll put the biggest motor you can find in there. Zoom! Great for picking up the ladies ;)

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
It really isn't as hard as everyone thinks. As long as it fits, and you buy the appropriate wiring harness and ECU for it ( assuming the all the sensors are the same) your in business. And if you get the turbo the other guy mentioned, it should bolt up to the tranny w/ no problems. No if the tranny can handke it, that is another story. Go to your local speed shop, and they will tell you it shouldn't be that difficult.

777joee

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
To quote my dad
"You can get 90% of the fun for 10% of the money the other 10% of the fun costs you 90% of the money"

You can put anything in anything if you have enough green!!!!

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001
Its not just the engine. You have to get a new trany, rear end, motor mount adaptors, maybe a new cooling system, some new wiring, etc. It can be done if you have the green$$$$.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
urrrg... but I don't like how the new 00-01 celica looks though, and how could I find that Celica engine from Japan??

and I love my celica...!
but the current engine is too weak (108hp, slower than a civic, imagine the insult) and it got 110k miles already....

but yeah, the cost doesn't justify the reason...

and no, Fast and Furious wasn't why I had this thought,
it was actually because a chick friend of mine said my car look awesome...

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
it was actually because a chick friend of mine said my car look awesome...

Then you have it made! Don't worry about how fast it is. As long as it can make it to her house to pick her up for a date it's fast enough. ;)

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
nah, she's taken... but her compliment is not...

beside, my friend said my tranny is kinda dying... so why not kill two bird with a stone...

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
lots of $$$ will be neccesary, probably enough to buy a whole new car (faster as well). As far as getting the 2.0 in there, if it doesn't bolt up directly (which I doubt it will), it's gonna cost you a whole lot to get it to mount. Have fun if you take that route :)

vash

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2001
You should look at similar engines for your car from a similar year to help ensure the engine is a good fit. My last car was similar. Originally, it was a V6 Camaro, but I put in the Z28 engine of the same year. It was essentially bolt out old, bolt in the new engine (and exhaust). I didn't do it, but I got it done from mod shop that do that stuff for a living, so it "seemed" easy to them.

Check around, I'm sure there are local places that do that kind of stuff.

vash

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
since your a Ca resident forget it the smog laws are soooo restrictive here...you'll have to replace it w/ the exact motor the car was built with (unless it's a 72' model or earlier) or rebuild the old one...and make sure the engine will pass smog otherwise, in either case or you'll be screwed

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
urrr... nevermind then, I just check, the engine I want will cost around 2200 US...
screw it then...

Jamestl

Sep 10, 2000

<< If you are serious about an engine swap, get the twin turbo 3S-GTE engine from the Japanese Celica. It came on your car as a factory option in Japan, which means most electronics are probably already compatible. >>

there's a man who knows what he's talking about! except for the fact that you can get a 3s-GTE US spec engine and the engine only has a single turbo.

if you're really serious, definitely go with w 3S-GTE. It was used in Celica All-Trac (4wd) in US and the engine can handle close to 400 crank HP on stock internals... very strong engine and it should easily bolt in.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
wooot? there's an All-Trac for that generation of Celicas???
I thought its only available in the pre-93 models...

Jamestl

Sep 10, 2000
88-92 i believe. but it doesn't matter. your car has a 5S-FE engine, which is the same one as the Camry 4 banger. the 3S should still fit fine without a problem. i have a pic of a 3S in a camry engine bay if you wanna PM me.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
The 3S-GTE was available in the US? Didn't know that. I know it was used in the MR2 Turbo, but I would think that since the MR2 is mid engined the engine mount locations would be different.

Oh yeah, my bad it is only a singe turbo.

Jamestl

Sep 10, 2000

<< The 3S-GTE was available in the US? Didn't know that. I know it was used in the MR2 Turbo, but I would think that since the MR2 is mid engined the engine mount locations would be different.

Oh yeah, my bad it is only a singe turbo.
>>

it was available in North America Celicas from 88-92. those cars are very rare to find and they make a hellava sleeper. i personally have not seen on in person, but i do keep my eye out for it. ;)

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
i saw an AllTrac (wait, does All Trac have to have 3S-GTE engine?) in L.A. area, it was hella beat up though... the sides were all scratched up... and yeah, I saw more Ferrari than that...