Enermax Bluetooth "pill" speaker from Newegg, problems with Skype.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This BT speaker, was marked down from $49.99 to $7.99, some time ago as a Newegg ShellShocker. I picked up three of them.

I got it to work, with my Samsung Cell Phone easily enough, but I'm struggling to get it to work with my PC, specifically, Skype.

I just received an Asus BT-400 dongle (recently $6.99 after promo on Newegg). Reviews were mixed, but mostly good, with a few people having "burnout" issues with the Nano dongle.

I plugged it initially into one of my USB3.0 hubs, but then after the drivers were installed automatically in Windows 10, and I went to Settings, Devices, Bluetooth, Add Device, to find the speaker, that had been turned on, it showed the speaker, but when I tried to connect, it said that it received no response. Figuring that was because it was plugged into a USB3.0 hub (which interferes with 2.4Ghz wireless communications), I plugged it into my case's front-panel ports, which are USB2.0, and away from USB3.0 interference. Still didn't work, same error. Then I realized, the speaker was still paired up with my Cell Phone, which had Bluetooth still enabled.

Once I disabled BT on my cell, the speaker connected to the PC. Showed up as "Voice, Audio". Two devices, "EAS01 Hands-free" (mic), and "EAS01 Stereo" (speaker).

I was finally able to get it to stream internet radio from Firefox Nightly, after running the Audio Troubleshooter.

But I'm having the same problem with this Asus BT dongle, and this Enermax pill speaker, and Skype, that I had before, when I tried this pill speaker with my Deskmini, and Intel combo AC wifi and BT M.2 card.

When I select the appropriate devices in Skype, after pairing the speaker, the microphone VU-bar responds to my input, but the speaker, turned all the way up to 10, doesn't play back the test sound, nor the Echo Test call line, nor the "bing-bong" dialing sound when I call someone on Skype.

So basically, Skype isn't using the speaker portion correctly, for some reason.

Yet, I think that I used Skype for Android, with this same pill speaker, semi-sucessfully.

Not sure what to try at this point.

Edit: I switched back to Webcam mic, and HDMI speakers, after making a call, and things were working properly in Skype again.

I asked the other party, if they could hear me before (when using the BT mic), and they said that it "was all garbled".

So, either the Asus Nano dongle sucks (which wouldn't surprise me, nearly all of the nano dongles do perform poorly and have a tendency to burn out), or I'm not doing this right. The BT dongle came with a CD, which I do have an optical drive in this PC, but I figured Windows 10 would load the newest drivers automagically, which it seems to have done? (No missing devices in Device Manager.)

Or maybe, just this Enermax pill speaker sucks. Reviews were also a bit mixed on it as well.

Last edited: