Energy Drink Thread: Mountain Dew - Amp Energy

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
So, after not being able to sleep and finally deciding to force myself to sleep (which didn't work anyway) at 4am and then getting up at quarter to 6am for work, I made the snap decision to pick up some energy drinks on the way to work. I love Mountain Dew, so I thought I'd try their Amp Energy tall boy. I wasn't sure how strong these are and at this point I'm seriously questioning whether I should be on the road in the first place (but I work just 2 minutes from home), so I bought 2 to make it to lunch.

I'm now about an hour into my shift, I have about half of the first one gone, I'm bouncing up and down in my chair, talking a little too quickly for a couple customers apparently, and typing like a mother fucker.

:Q

Holy hell. I've never had an energy drink before. This stuff tastes slightly more ... bright (?) than regular Mountain Dew and it's got all kinds of garbage like Maltodextrin, Ginsing, Taurine (hooray bull piss!), 8 vitamines, and Guarana. It tastes good, isn't so sweet and chock-full-o-sugar that it turns my stomach ill, and wakes me right the hell up.

I'm in love. :heart:

With the assortment of nerdousness on these forums, there's got to be someone else who likes energy drinks. What do you prefer?

Daishiki

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2001
Bawls or double-shots. I don't really like the taste of Red Bull and haven't tried the others.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
For the sake of your soul, do not try Monster. That stuff is gross. I've had Amp, it's alright but never affected me. Now I don't drink soda anymore, so I can't really comment much.

EDIT: Oh and I couldn't fall asleep on Sunday, so I just went to work without sleep :p. Ended up being awake for about 34 hours. I was practically dying at work, but once I went home, I was fine until it got late and I was watching a movie in the dark living room laying back in my recliner :p.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Aikouka
For the sake of your soul, do not try Monster. That stuff is gross. I've had Amp, it's alright but never affected me. Now I don't drink soda anymore, so I can't really comment much.

EDIT: Oh and I couldn't fall asleep on Sunday, so I just went to work without sleep :p. Ended up being awake for about 34 hours. I was practically dying at work, but once I went home, I was fine until it got late and I was watching a movie in the dark living room laying back in my recliner :p.

I think that's a bad thing :p

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Sobe Gold is my favorite juice-type energy drink.

Don't have a preference for regular-type drinks, but I stick to diet/sugar free.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: dbk
I think that's a bad thing :p

Nah, the bad thing was when I put my car into Drive instead of Reverse when in the garage. Thankfully I caught it in a second and never pull out fast or I would've probably just hit the gas. That would not have been pretty.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
SoBe Adrenaline Rush
Java Monster - Mean Bean

Those 5 hour energy things aren't bad tasting either.

dotcom173

Jan 16, 2006
favorites: rockstar guava, monster assault and regular, and thats primarily it. I like others, but these are my favorites

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
VAULT: "takes like a soda, kicks like an energy drink"

All the other ones I've tried taste nasty imo...

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: BrownTown
VAULT: "takes like a soda, kicks like an energy drink"

All the other ones I've tried taste nasty imo...

Have you tried Amp? The regular MD flavor?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I tried Amp once but didn't really like it.

My favorites are Rockstar and Red Bull. I used to drink Monster but one night got drunk as fsck off mixing vodka and Monster, some shenanigans occurred, now I don't like the taste or even smell of it, hahah.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Power Edge energy packets

You can buy a box of 10 at Walmart for under $3. Twice the buzz of redbull, and the berry flavored one tastes great. Two redbulls for $3.00 or one of these for $.30?

You do the math.

Plus the little packets are more portable for lunches/work/school/whatever.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Aikouka

Lo-carb Monster is my drink of choice! Although I'm not surprised we differ on our preferences.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Power Edge energy packets

You can buy a box of 10 at Walmart for under $3. Twice the buzz of redbull, and the berry flavored one tastes great. Two redbulls for $3.00 or one of these for $.30?

You do the math.

Plus the little packets are more portable for lunches/work/school/whatever.

:Q

Yeah, I paid something like $2.30 or $2.50 for each of mine. $0.30 is much more attractive.